• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawyer: Some One Piece Downloaders Settle Out of Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
the last time I tried to watch a One Piece episode on FUNimation's website, an advertisement commercial would interrupt the episode like every 5 minutes, and that gets very annoying. I want to watch an episode with no interruptions. Exclamation

Oh NO! So it's like...like... watching Television! Rolling Eyes
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Constant buffering issues and video quality are the main obstacles for streaming acceptance. If you could buffer the video, like you can do for YouTube videos, that would nice. The last time I tried streaming, I just hated the constant buffering, and the inability to buffer the whole video first, and then watch it without buffering interruptions.

I know some people have no buffering issues at all, but not everyone has high end or high speed internet connections. Also with all the throttling down that some ISP's are doing, buffering is becoming even more of a problem.
akitainu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
Please forgive my ignorance, but does Funimation offer a subscription service? I've had a Crunchyroll premium membership since they went legit. I really enjoy it and it has curtailed my fansub consumption quite a bit. If Funi offered a way to watch commercial free and better quality, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Even just commercial free, I'd still bite. I watch the Funi shows on Hulu now, but the commercial interruptions border on obnoxious. I know I shouldn't complain about a free service. But what I'm saying is that I would happily pay for a better service.
mix303

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
the last time I tried to watch a One Piece episode on FUNimation's website, an advertisement commercial would interrupt the episode like every 5 minutes, and that gets very annoying. I want to watch an episode with no interruptions. Exclamation

I agree with you there Fuimation can't do much on the situation with BitTorrent downloads. And beside i've goten over 1000 episodes of w/e anime series and i'm sure others have also. And some fansub sites you can dl from them for 720p video/epsiodes for free.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
To those who quoted me on my:
Quote:
I just don't get why people, especially in the US, still download when Funimation lets them have it for free.
quote, I know exactly what the excuses that people who watch fansubs use. Yet...personally...after watching some episodes on their site, I have no idea on what they are talking about in regards to quality. Looks pretty good to me and I have a 27" flatscreen, LCD, monitor. The streaming fansubs I had watched online are waaay worse for quality.

And the "rebelling" thing is pretty stupid too. Rolling Eyes

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Even so, they should not be covering up half of the screen on the bottom, especially for a video in 360p.

Half the bottom of the screen? More like a corner of it. It is also pretty faded and its not like its in your face. Really now....they have to do it because people will otherwise steal it (they do anyway regardless but jokes on them for having to view the watermark and if those rippers get caught then there is solid proof that they stoled Funi's works).

mix303 wrote:
yappers4 wrote:

I agree with you there Fuimation can't do much on the situation with BitTorrent downloads. And beside i've goten over 1000 episodes of w/e anime series and i'm sure others have also. And some fansub sites you can dl from them for 720p video/epsiodes for free.

Are you guys on crack? I only ever see a commerical or two before the video plays and there are absolutely no interruptions. I can pause anytime I want to go grab a snack or shower and resume playing without any commericals randomly popping up. God forbid you have to watch 20 seconds of some Lysol commerical before the episode plays.

And mix303....those episodes aren't free. What is stopping you from watching shows on Crunchyroll? They offer 1000's of shows too, most of them for free no less. Even the subscription fees are easy on your wallet.

the Rancorous wrote:

Forums need to install a "Like" button. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mix303

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
mix303 wrote:
yappers4 wrote:

Are you guys on crack? I only ever see a commerical or two before the video plays. I can pause anytime I want to go grab a snack or shower and resume playing without any interruptions. God forbid you have to watch 20 seconds of some Lysol commerical before the episode plays.[/quote]
[/quote]And mix303....those episodes aren't free.

Well then why do I have free 720p dl's off of fansubs. But ohwell thats your own opinion half the time it dose not matter where you get it from. As for commericals you have a point but it may get really repetitive, say if i mist a part while I was away then tryed/moved to go back poof commerical after the video go's on.

Oh and for (Are you guys on crack?) no Laughing.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
and people wonder why the anime industry is doomed.

I can't reiterate enough, that nothing Funimation does will work unless fans are willing to make minor sacrifices to make sure anime is a viable form of entertainment.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
yappers4 wrote:

Heck, back in the day, we enjoyed watching the Japanese commercials in our fansubs! Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
I just don't get why people, especially in the US, still download when Funimation lets them have it for free.

I remember once downloading Funimation rip and then immediately screaming and deleting the file, because of it's horrendous quality. Is it always like a 360p and with Funimation logo? Then, thank you very much, I'd wait for perfect fansub even if I would live in the US )
Before the new site launched, its on-site was always 360p, but it was 480p on Hulu. Part of the HuluBlock complaint was that even when series were available in Canada, they were on YouTube, which throttles the bitrate so YouTube 480p is lower quality than Hulu/ANN/CR 480p.

AFAIU, the new site hosts 480p. They switch to Hulu for the US when Hulu switches on, for the revenue, but give the hosted stream for Canadian IP addresses that would otherwise be HuluBlocked.

If they don't break even on 480p hosted on their own site, they'd be slaughtered by 720p ~ that will wait until they launch the subscription option later this year.

akitainu wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance, but does Funimation offer a subscription service?
I've not seen any details, but its supposed to be rolling out this year, sometime after the official launch of their new site which (last I looked) is now in public beta.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Constant buffering issues and video quality are the main obstacles for streaming acceptance.
Yeah, I buffer if I try 720p ... so I watch Crunchy in 480p. Of course, I use a netbook or a Roku on a 13" LCD, so I don't have the "zOMG my eyes they BLEED!!!" reaction that some users report to watching 480p video.

Crunchy may be getting certified for DLNA, according to a hint dropped in the members forum, and if it does, then it might become possible to stream to DLNA drives for one-off showing for users with streaming bandwidth or display speed problems.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
yappers4 wrote:

With Television, you have the option of changing the channel/fast forwarding. On many online episode viewers, your forced to watch a commercial and are unable to advance/rewind until the commercial is done. And seriously, it's for crap that I would never buy or even patronize said parent company.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
@agila61

You are right there are more buffering issues running at 720p. Just don't understand why the streaming providers can't do what YouTube does. YouTube allows you to buffer the whole music video, so that you can watch the entire video without any buffering issues.

I could live with 420p video quality and commercials too, since these anime shows were designed for commercial breaks anyway. Just despise all the constant buffering breaks.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
mix303 wrote:
mix303 wrote:
yappers4 wrote:

Are you guys on crack? I only ever see a commerical or two before the video plays. I can pause anytime I want to go grab a snack or shower and resume playing without any interruptions. God forbid you have to watch 20 seconds of some Lysol commerical before the episode plays.

Well then why do I have free 720p dl's off of fansubs. But ohwell thats your own opinion half the time it dose not matter where you get it from. As for commericals you have a point but it may get really repetitive, say if i mist a part while I was away then tryed/moved to go back poof commerical after the video go's on.

Oh and for (Are you guys on crack?) no Laughing.

Seriously dude, are you stupid or something? Just because you steal something off the internet, and don't have to pay for it, doesn't mean it's free. It stealing, blatantly.

Do people really think that just because u dl something for free off the web, that it's free.

I guess these are the same people that go to the grocery store, eat a bunch of candy or fruit before leaving the store, without paying for it, and then saying...."Yum, that free food was really good."

Seriously, you're a thief, you're stealing those 720p episodes.
Thievery!!!! LOL!

And, all of these arguments are, ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I watch damn near every show most seasons. And, not all shows are available via simulcast. Hm? Connection?

But, "I want my Karaoke", "My comp sux, can't watch 480p", or "I'm an entitled prick, screw all the US Anime Co. for bringing me tons of shows every year, for very reasonable prices". I've said it once, I'll say it again..."What the hell happened to you Anime Fandom?"

I used to think you were so cool, but now most of u are all just a bunch of whiney, self-entitled losers, who can't even shell out 5 bucks a month to watch tons of shows legally, in 720p in most cases.

And, for FUNi not offering 720p streams. Have you checked the Anime section on Netflix for a while? They've added at least 30 big titles w/720p streaming. Some of those shows aren't even available on BR disc, and they're giving them to you in HD for your measly Netflix subscription.

Yea, they're not simulcasts, but they're recent shows, and shows that are new to the US. i.e Black Butler and The Sacred Blacksmith just to name a few, all in 720p.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
mix303 wrote:

MrHatandClogs wrote:
Seriously dude, are you stupid or something? Just because you steal something off the internet, and don't have to pay for it, doesn't mean it's free. It stealing, blatantly.
This. Took the words right out of my mouth.

MrHatandClogs wrote:
I guess these are the same people that go to the grocery store, eat a bunch of candy or fruit before leaving the store, without paying for it, and then saying...."Yum, that free food was really good."
Oh oh! But EVERYONE does it because its what the cool kids do. And if it wasn't free then why would they offer it on display for anyone to grab up? Very Happy Very Happy

Rolling Eyes

MrHatandClogs wrote:
What the hell happened to you Anime Fandom?"
Selfish, quality snobs, fans is what happened.

MrHatandClogs wrote:
I used to think you were so cool, but now most of u are all just a bunch of whiney, self-entitled losers, who can't even shell out 5 bucks a month to watch tons of shows legally, in 720p in most cases.
Yup, pretty much. Sad isn't it? 12 years ago I would have killed to be able to watch so much free, legal, streams of Anime as back then it was hard to find. It was only available on crappy, expensive, VHS tapes available at the one comic book store we had in my town. It was also a rare sight to see when Blockbuster would carry some for rentals, yet most of them were rated 18+. People these days have it pretty damn easy and yet they ruin it for those who like being able to buy/see a wide selection of legal Anime.

Good job, weeaboos. Way to fight the man. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Rukiia on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:04 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
I've been satisfied with Funimations streaming quality. But that's only because my Internet speed is pretty good. Back when I had slower speed the videos took forever to buffer. So I eventually just quit trying.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Note to Americans, you can watch one piece for free, there is no need to illegal download them.

There is when you don't want to sit at the computer screen to watch it.

Also if funimation wants me to sit through their crappy comercials then they need to get with the times and air things in HD, the show airs in hd, there is no reason what so ever to show it in crappy 360p.

taster of pork wrote:
I've been satisfied with Funimations streaming quality. But that's only because my Internet speed is pretty good. Back when I had slower speed the videos took forever to buffer. So I eventually just quit trying.

That doesn't make any sense...

You like their bad quality streams because you have the internet speed to stream them lol?

Last edited by Tylerr on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7