• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Transformers, Even Stevens Star Close to Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Whoever designed Megatron was a design genius! As a robot, he's got this incredibly iconic, bauhaus look, and he transforms into a handgun! Howcool is that?

Truth be told, I never thought the Megatron=Handgun thing was all that great. I know it's going to irk people who want it to stay 100% true to the original 80's toon, but I would prefer it if he were to transform into a tank. Now that is some evil intimidation for ya right there. A gun on wheels.

Optimus Prime has either been a Semi truck or a fire engine and I first remember him as the fire engine and I thought that was pretty cool having the leader of the heroic team displayed in the form of a vehicle that displayed heroism but a Semi would be fine with me.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
tekwych wrote:
I thought Peter had made a statement that he would be VERY interested if they approached him but I can't find it now.

It was Gary Chalk would showed Interest in this Movie(Beast Wars,Beast Machines,Armada,Energon Cybertron)who has voiced Optimus Prime for the last 10 years...Ok ya sure their was Neil Kaplan but that was only a 39 episode series...

Soundwave ain't going to be a Tape Deck,Megatron ain't going to be a gun...Both Logic is out of date...A word TransFans use called "mass shifting" is what both these bots do...Come on a Gun that can Transform to be the same size as a Semi!I think not...

Well I think Chalk/Kaye should Voice Prime/Megatron...
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Soundwave ain't going to be a Tape Deck,Megatron ain't going to be a gun...Both Logic is out of date...A word TransFans use called "mass shifting" is what both these bots do...Come on a Gun that can Transform to be the same size as a Semi!I think not...

I remember always getting a little baffled by the "mass shift," but I didn't want to think too hard on the lack of logic (i.e. Megatron transforming into a gun that Starscream can hold). The reasonable choice for Megatron's transformation would be what he transformed into as Galvatron--a large blaster on a tripod / anti-aircraft type gun.

I hope they do update certain guys a bit with modern-day vehicles, but then it would be neat to find Transformers like Bumble Bee (using an older beetle) get the old school framework.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It was Gary Chalk would showed Interest in this Movie(Beast Wars,Beast Machines,Armada,Energon Cybertron)who has voiced Optimus Prime for the last 10 years...Ok ya sure their was Neil Kaplan but that was only a 39 episode series...

Cullen had made a comment a while back (probably at a Botcon) stating that he would love to reprise his role as Optimus Prime if approached. Welker has said the same, but he doesn't come cheap and isn't very flexible when it comes to time and travel. I remember the folks doing Beast Wars saying they would even come to his house to record him as G1 Megatron, but he turned down the amount of money they were offering and their budget didn't allow them to go higher.

Problem is the folks working on the movie don't want to use the old voices saying that it would remind people of "old times" and don't understand fans attachment to these voices. What they want is star power, something they aren't going to get out of voice actors.

To be honest, the only star I would actually feel really comfortable with doing Megatron is Leonard Nimoy. He did an excellent Galvatron (and IMO a better Galvatron than Welker) and I think he could do a great Megatron as well. And Casey Kasem is still doing voice work, I'd love to see him make a small return, even if it is as Teletran 1.

Quote:

Yeah, they've already thrown mass shifting out the window for at least the first movie. Originally they said Soundwave was going to be a helicopter, but I think they've planned something different now. There was rumor from Don Murphy I believe (who loves to leave cryptic message on his forum) that lead people to believe Megatron would be a tank. I'd prefer Megatron to be jet of some sort, the whole point of G1 was that Decepticons can fly and Autobots can't (At first anyway, I think they made a few mistakes later on and just left them all able to fly) so it would make the most sense for their leader to have that ability in both forms. I guess he could just be a big flying gun like Shockwave was.

Quote:
Well I think Chalk/Kaye should Voice Prime/Megatron...

If this wasn't supposed to be so closely tied to G1 then I wouldn't have a problem with this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
jousha wrote:

I hope they do update certain guys a bit with modern-day vehicles, but then it would be neat to find Transformers like Bumble Bee (using an older beetle) get the old school framework.

If I remeber correctly VW didn't want to liscene the Beetle to Hasbro because VW says Transformers are War Toys...IMO ya they focus on wars about Giant Fictonal Robots...Buts it not like it was GI Joe with Realistic looking people.

[quote=Emerje]Problem is the folks working on the movie don't want to use the old voices saying that it would remind people of "old times" and don't understand fans attachment to these voices. What they want is star power, something they aren't going to get out of voice actors. [/quote]

Guess you haven't heard of Don Murphy...the guy who creates his own Message board(Getting the rest of the crew to post their aswell) and neglect the Message Board ( www.transformerslive.com/board ) which was created by Hasbro and Dream Works/Universal who are the company who are paying them...

Quote:
Originally they said Soundwave was going to be a helicopter,

Well Mr.Murphy slipped out a Decepticon named Vortex,and if my G1ology is correct Vortex was a Heilocopter...So we may see a Cybertron/Galaxy Force type of Soundwave.

Quote:
Cullen had made a comment a while back (probably at a Botcon) stating that he would love to reprise his role as Optimus Prime if approached. Welker has said the same, but he doesn't come cheap and isn't very flexible when it comes to time and travel. I remember the folks doing Beast Wars saying they would even come to his house to record him as G1 Megatron, but he turned down the amount of money they were offering and their budget didn't allow them to go higher.

Yet both work for Cartoon Network...Shows where thier priorities are...In Japan,Convoy's Original VA returned to voice Prime in Galaxy Force,in Cybertron I bit you Voice Box offered Cullen and he decliened.

[/quote]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote
...Jon Voight is in talks for Keller, the U.S. Secretary of State. Michael Clarke Duncan is closing in on the role of Louisiana-born Army Chief Warrant officer Figueroa and a close team member of young military commander Lennox. "Las Vegas" star Josh Duhamel is in talks for Lennox.

Bernie Mac is the frontrunner for the role of used car salesman Bobby Bolivia, Rachael Taylor as the super-hot and super-smart codebreaker Rachel, and Megan Fox as LaBeof's love interest Mikaela.

Offers are also out to Tyrese Gibson, John Turturro, Travis Van Winkle and John Robinson. Rolling Eyes

Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060421a.php
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
AICN talks to Michael Bay:

Quote:
...One thing I can confirm, straight from Bay's mouth (and this is something he wanted the fans to know) is that he is going to audition the original voice actors for the Autobots and Decepticons. He said it's no guarantee they'll get cast, but he's going to give them a listen. His main fear is that the actors have aged since the cartoon and that age may be noticeable in their voices.Bay then showed me a rough design for the TRANSFORMERS teaser poster. It was a robotic eye overlooking planet Earth, kind of peeking over the curvature of the globe. The eye was in a brow the shape of a right triangle and looked very mechanical, iris and all. The tagline was "Their War. Our World."...The biggest difference from the cartoon and toys is that the Autobots and Decepticons aren't going to be as blocky. Bay said that when they started breaking down how these robots transform from vehicles to robots the blocky end result didn't make any sense and looked pretty silly. So, you see the working parts of the vehicles much more on the robots, you see sharper angles, but they all stem from them transforming....It was around here that I got my first look at Optimus Prime. I saw three concept art pieces on Optimus. The first was a headshot. He is blue, like the cartoon, but I noticed a lack of red in the early stuff I saw. Mostly steel gray and blue. Not sure what I think about that. His face is a bit longer than I remember the cartoon being, but the image I think of when I picture Optimus Prime is when his face guard is up. Bay was quick to point out that the Optimus I was seeing was him without his battle mask. Like the other robot I saw, Optimus was more angular than the cartoon, but he was still hulking. He was by no means lithe and skinny. Bulky, but not blocky....We talked a bit about the beginning of the movie. It starts in the Antarctica with a man chipping away at a giant ice wall. Something happens, his dogs run away and ice wall opens, the man falling into an icy cave, sliding down into the earth. When he stops, the camera pulls back and shows him resting in a giant robotic hand, half in and half out of the ice. I saw this piece in production art and it was very atmospheric with giant shapes in the surrounding ice walls and the tiny man resting in the palm of a robot.Bay later revealed that although this is the beginning of the movie, it isn't the first thing we see. Bay's words were, "We will actually see Cybertron," which is the planet where the Autobots hail from...
Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2