• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia's Madman Ent. Stops Kill La Kill Streams After Leak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
Tr1ckR wrote:
Coppelion episode 6 was also leaked from Madman's site before it aired, strangely they didn't mention that though, or take the streams down.

Coppelion has been getting leaked for weeks now.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Oh btw, Freezing Vibration episode 7 was being leaked as we speak. Why can't Funi learn?

EDIT: The leak disappeared. Good for them for now. At least, we know that there is 1 person who is trying to sabotage streaming sites.

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
The latest monogatari episode was also leaked before it aired.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

Well, Daisuki is Aniplex. They can't pull out their Monogatari streams.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
rederoin wrote:

They can hit themselves in the head with hammers if they want to but thankfully they didn't punish themselves or us and streamed it on time as planned.

But file sharing these things early is not the way to do it... talk about making life harder for yourself and others going forward. All for the sake of "first post". Hope it was worth it, enjoy it while you can...
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
rederoin wrote:

They can hit themselves in the head with hammers if they want to but thankfully they didn't punish themselves or us and streamed it on time as planned.

But file sharing these things early is not the way to do it... talk about making life harder for yourself and others going forward. All for the sake of "first post". Hope it was worth it, enjoy it while you can...

Well, it might not matter on the fans outside Japan, but in Japan, it matters a lot.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Man, what incredibly impatient jerks --- not just accessing the episode to watch it ahead of time, but going that extra step of pirating it across the web. It hurts the credibility of online streaming, which you'd think they'd be first in line to support.
Cyberphobe wrote:
Gotta love that. Some a-hole who can't wait a day Fs it up for everyone.
Tr1ckR wrote:
yeah thanks 'ephemera' subs for ruining for us Australians.
hpulley wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of sentiments like these, but, frankly, you fail to see the entire picture...

The security of material on the servers is on the streaming outfits themselves. It is THEIR responsibility to audit whatever systems they, or their subcontractors, have in place to ensure those work securely.

Ask yourselves this, had you preferred the leak(s) happened now? Or a few years down the line with perhaps no info or logs if the vulnerabilities had been exploited in the meantime, and perhaps even for more sinister purposes?

An exploit out in the wild is high-value commodity as long as it's unrecognized. Once exposed, that value starts dropping rapidly.
All exploits have one thing in common though. Sooner or later they WILL get exposed. So, would you like that to happen sooner? Or later?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's strange to see people somehow blaming the "hackers" here... If they were somehow profiting from it, maybe I could see that, but they're not.

The party at fault here is the licenser who has failed to properly protect the content which they have licensed.

Here's the metaphor that makes sense to me:

I rent a really expensive luxury car. Then I keep the car in an unlocked garage with the keys on a hook next to the car.
Of course, someone steals the car and drives it off a cliff.
Oh and did I mention that I know I live in a bad neighborhood which has had multiple car thefts in the past?
Guess whose fault it is and who is responsible for the car? Me.
Yeah the car thief should also be caught and prosecuted but that doesn't mean I'm any less financially responsible for that car.

And here it's even worse, because it's not just THAT site that's harmed. You think Crunchyroll/any other streaming site appreciates when someone leaks an episode ahead of time? Crunchyroll paid good money for simul streaming rights in their territory and thanks to these leaks they have not been able to provide the service they promise to their members.
Crunchyroll would have a good argument to make to demand some part of their money back for Aniplex effective violating their contract. (In practice I doubt that would ever happen but it could).

So Madman's lax security will hurt Aniplex themselves in other markets, thanks to the internet.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Madman: Oh, the stream leaked? Let's just pull our stream to punish the people who didn't do anything and have nowhere else to watch it, forcing them to pirate it, and then when the stream does return we'll whine about how it's not doing well!

In this day and age, pulling the streams should not be a valid response to a leak.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
Madman: Oh, the stream leaked? Let's just pull our stream to punish the people who didn't do anything and have nowhere else to watch it, forcing them to pirate it, and then when the stream does return we'll whine about how it's not doing well!

In this day and age, pulling the streams should not be a valid response to a leak.

They don't have a choice, they violated their licensing agreement by allowing the leak. If they didn't they could be sued by Aniplex.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
@Blanchimont and samuelp: You both almost seem to be on the verge of openly congratulating the hackers for doing this. While I agree that Madman Ent. needs to have better security measures in place, it's a pretty twisted world if we prefer to jump at blaming the victim for not defending themselves well enough, and praise the criminals because they're "helping to quickly expose weaknesses in the system."

And sameulp, considering that you're running an anime website yourself, I'm surprised that you would hold a point of view that essentially renders the hackers blameless in this situation, just because they're not profiting from it. Are you suggesting that if someone hacked into Animesols and gained access to pledger private payment credentials, that that would be okay, just so long as they didn't profit from it? Unless you're super-confident that your site is completely invulnerable from any and all cyber-attacks, you shouldn't be throwing stones in glass houses. Honestly, the fact that you sound more on the side of the hackers in this situation doesn't make me very comfortable about how you'd respond if you were placed in Madman's shoes yourself. On one level I might appreciate if you took responsibility, but if you were to leave the hackers blameless or even openly thank them for breaking the site's security (i.e. compromising MY personal data), I would be on the frontlines rallying against your company, because that's a very irresponsible position that openly accepts and almost encourages hacker criminal activities that could hurt your customers.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
You're right that it's the licensor's responsibility to keep the material secure until the contractual time when it can be released.

However, to use your car analogy just because a car is parked with the keys in the ignition doesn't mean you should take it for a joyride and push it off a cliff... If you're nice, you can call the police and report that the vehicle is in that state so they can take the keys, lock the car and contact the rightful owner.

In the same vein, a "white hat" could contact Madman, report that their pants are down and let them know so they can plug it instead of uploading it to Torrent to be sent around before the Japanese broadcast.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Here's the metaphor that makes sense to me:

I rent a really expensive luxury car. Then I keep the car in an unlocked garage with the keys on a hook next to the car.
Of course, someone steals the car and drives it off a cliff.
Oh and did I mention that I know I live in a bad neighborhood which has had multiple car thefts in the past?
Guess whose fault it is and who is responsible for the car? Me.
Yeah the car thief should also be caught and prosecuted but that doesn't mean I'm any less financially responsible for that car.

You're making a lot of sense to me too. While the hackers are arseholes and should be punished, the real culprits are the companies who have such lax security. Seriously, don't upload an episode to your server until it needs to be there. Internet security is less about keeping hackers out - after all, pretty much no system is unbreakable - and more about minimising any harm that hackers can do once they are in. Commonsense is far more useful a security tool than any firewall.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
And sameulp, considering that you're running an anime website yourself, I'm surprised that you would hold a point of view that essentially renders the hackers blameless in this situation, just because they're not profiting from it. Are you suggesting that if someone hacked into Animesols and gained access to pledger private payment credentials, that that would be okay, just so long as they didn't profit from it? Unless you're super-confident that your site is completely invulnerable from any and all cyber-attacks, you shouldn't be throwing stones in glass houses. Honestly, the fact that you sound more on the side of the hackers in this situation doesn't make me very comfortable about how you'd respond if you were placed in Madman's shoes yourself. On one level I might appreciate if you took responsibility, but if you were to leave the hackers blameless or even openly thank them for breaking the site's security (i.e. compromising MY personal data), I would be on the frontlines rallying against your company, because that's a very irresponsible position that openly accepts and almost encourages hacker criminal activities that could hurt your customers.

If I wasn't willing to take 100% responsibility for the security of the data, including any episodes uploaded to anime sols, I assure you no Japanese company would work with me at all.
Of course the fact that we don't do simulcasts and don't store any payment credentials like CC info ourselves at all (which is why you have to re-enter it each time) does give me the confidence.

I'm not saying hackers (I hesitate to call them that since it implies having some actual skill...) are doing anyone a favor...
But for every white knight you have 10 people out there who would simply torrent things: That's the nature of the audience, teenagers! If your security is bad, your episodes WILL LEAK. It's not a matter of some bad guy out there taking advantage of you, because there are 1000s of people out there who will upload your content to the internet if you leave it accessible.
People are saying it's the torrenter's fault that Madman had to pull the episodes: but that's like blaming the earthquake for destroying your rickety shack.

FYI, at anime sols all CC info is transmitted to our payment provider (stripe.com) directly from your browser, which simply returns a token for that particular purchase (which we store), the CC info is not stored in our database or server ever. If our server was completely compromised (i.e. root access), it would be possible for someone to spoof the token private key and instruct Stripe to charge registered cards, but... that would just give more money to anime sols which we could refund immediately.
As for our streaming videos, since we use HTML5 they aren't DRMed, but before a video launches it is uploaded to amazon S3, in a private bucket, with obfuscated file name, and the streaming is handled by a private cloudfront distro which can only be accessed through the proper key. In other words prior to launch it's impossible to access the episode (without actually compromising our administration panel), and the episode is never stored on our server itself anyway.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

If I wasn't willing to take 100% responsibility for the security of the data, including any episodes uploaded to anime sols, I assure you no Japanese company would work with me at all.
Of course the fact that we don't do simulcasts and don't store any payment credentials like CC info ourselves at all (which is why you have to re-enter it each time) does give me the confidence.

I'm not saying hackers (I hesitate to call them that since it implies having some actual skill...) are doing anyone a favor...
But for every white knight you have 10 people out there who would simply torrent things: That's the nature of the audience, teenagers! If your security is bad, your episodes WILL LEAK. It's not a matter of some bad guy out there taking advantage of you, because there are 1000s of people out there who will upload your content to the internet if you leave it accessible.
People are saying it's the torrenter's fault that Madman had to pull the episodes: but that's like blaming the earthquake for destroying your rickety shack.

FYI, at anime sols all CC info is transmitted to our payment provider (stripe.com) directly from your browser, which simply returns a token for that particular purchase (which we store), the CC info is not stored in our database or server ever. If our server was completely compromised (i.e. root access), it would be possible for someone to spoof the token private key and instruct Stripe to charge registered cards, but... that would just give more money to anime sols which we could refund immediately.
As for our streaming videos, since we use HTML5 they aren't DRMed, but before a video launches it is uploaded to amazon S3, in a private bucket, with obfuscated file name, and the streaming is handled by a private cloudfront distro which can only be accessed through the proper key. In other words prior to launch it's impossible to access the episode (without actually compromising our administration panel), and the episode is never stored on our server itself anyway.

Are you suggesting it doesn't take ill-intent for someone to go to the trouble of finding and taking advantage of security holes in your system for their own personal amusement? You can't liken hackers to a natural disaster --- natural disasters aren't sentient beings that can realize the consequences of their actions, nor do natural disasters have the ability to actively choose not to do something that could hurt other people. How about we take your metaphor and make it literal --- if a human knowingly tears down your rickety shack for the lulz, that's wrong, regardless of how rickety your shack is or the likelihood that such a person would eventually come by. Your attitude seems to essentially give hackers a free pass, not on the merits of their actions but on the basis that "well there's so many of them".

I'm also a bit incredulous that you seem to be of the impression that if Anime Sols' root was compromised, everything would be hunky-dory. But in that situation, the payment pages could be rewritten so that payment-information would be sent to the hacker. I don't know what sort of system you have set up that's fool-proof even from the inner core, but I'd sure like to see for myself (would you mind sending me the login credentials? Laughing )

...I seriously hope you intend to answer that question with a flat no. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4