• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nick to Strip Avatar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
mekkio wrote:
Kilgamayan, have you seen a single episode of Avatar or are you one of those snarky otakus who think everything from the west is a ripoff of some anime?

- I didn't write that. I just found it funny. Maybe if you grew a sense of humor you'd find it too, but then again, if wishes were fishes there'd be no water in the rivers.
- Wher the hell does that "snarky otakus" line come from? What a blatant nonsequitur attack. If you must know, I have seen Avatar and it seemed like an okay show but it didn't particularly catch my interests. I also do appreciate American animation, such as Futurama and Megas XLR (among a bunch of others). Nice job making one of the most dumbass nonsensical assumptions ever.

mekkio wrote:
Pokemon is nothing like Avatar with the exception of the main characters are children on a journey.

[snip]

How is that anything like Pokemon?

Did you read it at all? Go over it again (use the 4chan post since my rewrite had a few typos in it) and compare what's being said to both Pokemon and Avatar. Pretty much everything there applies to both shows. The point is the passage is funny because none of the similarities are consequential. The main guy's name starts with A! His female companion likes water! His male companion is a womanizer! How meaningless and generic are those?

The writing was created purely for humor purposes - no one is stupid enough to believe that Pokemon and Avatar are the same show. But I guess funny flies straight over your head.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Not the best American animation, but it keeps hope alive that the ending of Justice League and Samurai Jack were not the death nell of quality animated children's shows. Certainly, I have found significantly better than it's main on-air competitor, Naruto.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Is the sub-par animation in Avatar intentional in order to make it "resemble anime" even more, or is it just purely coincidental? I've only seen commercials for the show, and the horrid animation is so off-putting I don't think I'll ever be able to sit through an entire episode.
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The animation in Avatar is superior
to the majority of Japanese Animation.

It has a large budget, and a long creation period.
That allows for a higher frame rate and overall cell count
than one is likely to see in the majority of Anime.
(or american animation for that matter)

I can only assume you don't know much about animation
based on your short statement.

Do you think Justice Leage or Teen Titans
are "sub-par" as well? Because that would be quite telling.

Perhaps I am wrong in my assumption though,
much as you are wrong in assuming Avatar is badly animated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Is the sub-par animation in Avatar intentional in order to make it "resemble anime" even more, or is it just purely coincidental? I've only seen commercials for the show, and the horrid animation is so off-putting I don't think I'll ever be able to sit through an entire episode.

The fights are anything but poorly animated. Hell most things in the commercial look like crap compared to the actual thing.

That applies to anime too.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:
tripperdan99 wrote:
LOL, way to go Kilgamayan, nail the turkey for plagiarism with a big hammer. I wouldn't have even thought someone would be too lazy to type their own opinion in the forum.

WTG

It's called a copypasta, lurk moar

Sorry Einstein, guess I'd hung around the univeristy systems too long and took the pedagogy approach to the laziness of the post. Tempted to offer you a more anal reply, but I'll pass.

Back to Avatar, certainly a cartoon worth following even though it's not true anime. The animation work is great, the story line is solid, the action is done well. The range of people attracted to it is from little kids (6 yrs old), teens and adults. Infact I believe I read somewhere that the Avatar's draw has exceeded the initial targeted demographic market. It has a broad appeal and I believe will be a good source to spur more interest in (what I would consider) true anime.

PS Sorry if I flared up on something that was suppose to be humor. Hate to respond like a petty idgit.

Last edited by tripperdan99 on Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:
The animation in Avatar is superior
to the majority of Japanese Animation.

Yeah, the majority of Japanese animation from ten years ago. Are we watching the same show here? Just from what commercials and the very little I've seen of the show, the animation in Avatar is so choppy it makes my eyes bleed.
Quote:
That allows for a higher frame rate and overall cell count

The frame rate is so low I can practically count the number of frames in each scene. Someone flings a bag over a horse in what looks like only three frames. Someone leaps into the sky in two frames. Someone dodges an ice attack in three frames. One of the main reasons I've never been able to sit through an entire episode of this show is due to the fact that I actually get a little dizzy from watching the poor animation. (But who knows, maybe it's not the show's fault and I just have a really weak constitution.)

Lackshmana wrote:
I can only assume you don't know much about animation
based on your short statement.

Do you think Justice Leage or Teen Titans
are "sub-par" as well? Because that would be quite telling.

Perhaps I am wrong in my assumption though,
much as you are wrong in assuming Avatar is badly animated.

I'm not one of those weaboo idiots that thinks all Japanese animation is superior to anything Western. I love Disney's animated movies like Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid Cars, The Incredibles, and Lady and the Tramp, and aside from Discovery Health and The History Channel documentaries, I practically watch cable television for American comedy cartoons like South Park, Spongebob Squarepants, Robot Chicken (technically clay-mation, but that’s still a form of animation), The Simpsons, and Invader Zim. If you want me to, I could sit here and list my favorite Western cartoons for days without sleeping or taking potty breaks, but I don't think anyone wants to witness me wet my pants and eventually starve to death making an endless list of my favorite cartoons.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
The frame rate is so low I can practically count the number of frames in each scene. Someone flings a bag over a horse in what looks like only three frames. Someone leaps into the sky in two frames. Someone dodges an ice attack in three frames. One of the main reasons I've never been able to sit through an entire episode of this show is due to the fact that I actually get a little dizzy from watching the poor animation. (But who knows, maybe it's not the show's fault and I just have a really weak constitution.)

Hi Wolverine Princess, I'll have to apologize, but I'm not sure I follow you. I've gone back and watched a couple of episodes I still have in mpegII (2mb/sec) and some of the avi's and I can't quite understand what you're seeing. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I don't perceive it they way you do. I find your view interesting none the less. Is it that they take shortcuts in the video to save time/frames (thus money) in the cartoon?
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
You state that you are watching the advertisements. This may have something to do with it, because the majority of the show, especially the positively lavish fight sequences, are spectacularly well animated with a high frame count. I can count on one hand the number of anime sereies, both full seasons and OAVs, that have a smoother frame rate. Similar to anime, some non-action sequences are not as smoothly animated, but for the most part still look quite nice.

Another nice bonus to this is that it allows the lovingly accurate depictions of the five genuine martial arts styles used in the show to shine forth over the stylized dance moves used in most of the other CN anime offerings.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
I finally managed to catch an episode on TV today, and I retract my previous statements. The animation is actually pretty good, although it's nothing groundbreaking or anything to really rave about. It's pretty much equal to what you'd see in a typical modern shounen anime. I apologize if I offended anyone by jumping to conclusions. (But now I'm wondering why the commercials didn’t showcase some of the finer points of the show's animation...)
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
I finally managed to catch an episode on TV today, and I retract my previous statements. The animation is actually pretty good, although it's nothing groundbreaking or anything to really rave about. It's pretty much equal to what you'd see in a typical modern shounen anime. I apologize if I offended anyone by jumping to conclusions. (But now I'm wondering why the commercials didn’t showcase some of the finer points of the show's animation...)

Yeah, I notice the same thing in feature film ads as well. Usually , it has to do with animation being played back at a speed different than it was produced for. Something designed for straight-to-video or theatres will have a different rate than a dedicated TV episode, for example. If the ads were designed to run at a specific speed or be played across multiple international TV networks, they may choose a different speed than what you're used to seeing it in instead of spending a liot more money to correct the problem.
phobia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
Well, it's more to do with production time. For an animation to be released in the theaters, there's only one deadline and it takes about a year or two to make. Therefore, production can take that time to make the animation smooth and detailed. But they can't spend too much time on it because there is a budget contraint. So if we take a Naruto movie as an example, the animation looks smoother and more detailed than its TV counterpart.

On the other hand, a TV series like Avatar have multiple deadlines. Though they start production early (usually in the middle of the off season), they still need to finish before the episode's scheduled airtime. There are ways to schedule these things and it usually depends on the budget. One way is to have one group of animators work on the entire season in sequence; this way the animation remains consistent, but the deadlines are many and very strict. Another way is to use several groups of animators working on different episodes at the same time; the deadlines aren't as strict, but the animation isn't consistent with each episode. (Naruto TV is a good example: one episode looks different than the last episode, and this happens throughout the series.)

There's one more thing to note here. Avatar is being produced in South Korea, just like many other anime are (Naruto and Bleach come to mind). So the possibility that a group of animators that worked on several anime are also working on Avatar. What does this mean? It means that the distinction between a Japanese anime and a western one is only on the surface. This also means that Avatar's animation may be as good or better than many of the anime from Japan. It's just a matter of style. But that isn't the only thing that made Avatar popular; it's the storyline.
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Your initial comments and subsequent retraction, Wolverine Princess, pointed up something that ought to be obvious to everyone -- in order to criticize (or praise) a show, you need to ACTUALLY WATCH IT! Not just promos, not just short YouTube clips. You need to sit down and watch complete actual episodes as presented on TV or on the DVD. Only then can you have a solid basis for forming an opinion.

As to Avatar, I've found it to among the best examples of U.S. animated storytelling released in recent years, and easily as good as a lot of the anime coming over here from Japan today. Nick deserves praise for picking up this series and allowing its creators a very free hand in telling their story. (^_*)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:

It's called a copypasta, lurk moar

4chan catchphrases are not welcome here. If you want to talk like this, go to 4chan. We use proper English here.
Amibite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I finally managed to catch an episode on TV today, and I retract my previous statements. The animation is actually pretty good, although it's nothing groundbreaking or anything to really rave about. It's pretty much equal to what you'd see in a typical modern shounen anime.
You can't be serious, can you? Avatar costs about $1,000,000 dollars an episode to make. The average shounen anime costs around $130,000 an episode. Avatar's animation is leagues ahead of any anime's animation outside theatrical films like MIyazaki (but that applies to American cartoons in general.. Americna cartoons as a whole have much bigger budgeting than anime so they're animated much smoother and cleaner)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3