• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Da Vinci Code Author Dan Brown Gains Super Powers in Official Japanese Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This sounds really interesting. I've enjoyed what I've read of Browns works, and I have knowledge of a few of the other authors. I would love to read something like this, even if Brown's power is a little odd...
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Really cool concept. I'll definitely check this out.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
out of all of the contemporary western authors there are, they chose Dan Brown. OK
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
The concept interests me, but I do wish the author had been a little bit more faithful to the authors' actual appearance. Yes, yes, artisic license and all that, but a lot of these individuals are interesting enough that I don't think that the author really needed to go out of his way turning them it to arrogant bishounen types Neutral

Kougeru wrote:
consignia wrote:
Quote:
"only Brown himself has the historical and religious knowledge to decipher the poems."

I'm not sure where to comment on this...
He knows far more about both subjects than most living authors..you can't really argue that. Don't mistake is stories for his beliefs either. He was openly said he doesn't really believe in the stuff in the writes.

A monkey with access to wikipedia is more knowledgeable than Dan Brown Neutral

Emerje wrote:
I've been working my way through the Book Girl series (on book 6 right now) so it makes a manga that features names like Osamu Dazai and Kenji Miyazawa (a constant reference in the BG series) all the more interesting.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I wonder if Stephen King could end up being in this series?

Not sure he would consent to something like this, but he would make a great villain.

Emerje

Lol he could team up with the multitude of other authors and critics who despise Dan Brown's works.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see other authors like Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, JK Rowling, etc make appearances.

Here's hoping EL James, Elizabeth Gilbert, and John Green appear as antagonists.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Could be worse, could be Stephenie Meyer with the power to sparkle or something.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

Could be worse, could be Stephenie Meyer with the power to sparkle or something.

Or Reki Kawahara.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh, I didn't realize Brown was so despised. I mean, granted, the only thing of his I've read and liked was Da Vinci Code itself (the sequel/prequel/whatever the hell it was was too much copy-and-paste of the original for my tastes). Even then I only like it so-so, but I wasn't aware of any reasons to hate him.

Anyway, this is the first time I've heard of this series. I can't tell if it sounds really cool, or a little too out there. Either way, I'm intrigued. I can only imagine what kind of cool stuff they could do if they brought in James Patterson heh.

Stephen King though...eh...there's no way in hell he'd ever sign off on something like this, and if he did I'd be shocked. He's a little too fixed in his ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Here's hoping EL James, Elizabeth Gilbert, and John Green appear as antagonists.

You forgot S.M. Stirling.

enurtsol wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

Or Reki Kawahara.

Comparing Reki Kawahara to Stephenie Meyer is an insult to the former.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Anyway, this is the first time I've heard of this series. I can't tell if it sounds really cool, or a little too out there. Either way, I'm intrigued. I can only imagine what kind of cool stuff they could do if they brought in James Patterson heh.

What about Ian Fleming, or Tom Clancy, or Robert Ludlum, or John le Carré, or Frederick Forsyth, or Len Deighton, or Richard Condon? Spy fiction authors should have tons of cool tricks up their sleeves in this universe.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

Or Reki Kawahara.

Comparing Reki Kawahara to Stephenie Meyer is an insult to the former.

Nah, they both set back attitude on girls written like a fanfic. Smile

Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Yeesh, I didn't realize Brown was so despised. I mean, granted, the only thing of his I've read and liked was Da Vinci Code itself (the sequel/prequel/whatever the hell it was was too much copy-and-paste of the original for my tastes). Even then I only like it so-so, but I wasn't aware of any reasons to hate him.

People write up conspiracy theories on religion all the time, even when they don't know much about it.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
A manga with authors having supernatural powers? Sign me up please! Many book fans would find the premise to be pretty fun and a part of me wishes that all American authors would play a role here and plus, who said that this should crossover with Read or Die? Best idea ever!

Maybe this would be good for the North American audiences someday.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay,we have Dan Brown in a manga series in which he has super powers. Just when I thought that manga and anime would run out of pretty weird ideas,someone over there manages to come up with one that's even stranger than the last one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2