• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hagane no Onna Creator Decries How Show Depicts Autistic Child

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
This is true, I was just speaking of the person I know quite personally and the varying degrees are going to affect each person with Asperger's differently. Having Asperger's shouldn't be equated with being a sociopath who is incapable of feeling empathy, just the person I know generally doesn't unless he's decided to care about the person deeply, he's very selective while being aloof to most others. A lot of it might have to do with how these kinds of disorders were handled in the past compared to now. Unfortunately, in the early 90s, a lot of childhood social disorders were simply handled by putting the child on Ritalin and calling it good with no real therapies involved. The occupational and behavioral therapies available as early as 18mo can help a child so much more now.

I see your point, however I was born in 1989 (I'm now 22), and I wasn't diagnosed until the age of... somewhere between 11 and 13 I think, (I have also been on Ritalin for ADHD from somewhere between age 7-9 and still am and it definitely helps, doesn't make me into a zombie, just helps me to concentrate and makes me less clumsy as a result of that, I'm less likely to break something accidentally because I don't think to move it out of the way, etc.), I had a miserable childhood, overall, but I'm pretty happy now (though I still do suffer from intrusive thoughts sometimes and I'm not looking forward to moving soon, not because of the break in routine, but because I find it very hard to get organised and get things sorted out during a move and am afraid I may become distressed/depressed again then from the sheer weight of sorting everything out, I'll have help, but still...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2