• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akame ga KILL! Dark Action Fantasy Anime's Teaser Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I love Akame ga Kill, but I've always thought of it as the poor mans Attack on Titan in some ways. The characters are mostly generic, with just the bare minimum done to make them standout. None of them are really given much exploration, with only Tatsumi and Esdese actually having some dimension to their personalities.

It follows the typical shonen structure pretty straight forwardly and doesn't do much more to move beyond it. It really only stands out because of its grotesque violence and dark themes. It's strongest quality is that it manages to be very entertaining with its tension and anyone-can-die aspect. I've never been bored reading it.

Despite the fact that this will probably be censored and watered down, I am looking forward to it.
blindworm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
wow, i read a lot of posts saying not positive things about the series violence and shock value, and no flame war or fans doing everything they can to desperately justify why this is good. that's new Razz

I liked this series when it started, it seemed edgy, unpredictable, adult, no one was safe etc. then it depended so much on that that it became predictable, i figured out who was safe and who wasn't, the violence i find is almost childish and reminds me of things i'd have thought were good when i was younger, lately it's even offended me in how it exploits it, and the characters are far too underdeveloped. some times they only get development because they're about to die, or they get a few pages to describe backstory, something that more well made series would use a few chapters.

now i find it a very average at best series. that tries to hard to be the next big mature. gory thing, up there with berserk and attack on titan
kill-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
CG rendering animation, uh?
I guess all that's left is to wait and see. Twisted Evil

ps: the over the top violence depicted in the manga is, yeah, over the top and may look way too forced for some aspects, but for others (soldiers ravaging towns and all) it's not that distant from the truth...
Kanokun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Kind of short but based on the summary it's looks to be good. Definetly will watch when it comes out should also go read the manga.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I love Akame ga Kill, but I've always thought of it as the poor mans Attack on Titan in some ways.

Now let's put Production I.G in the mix. You do know AoT never would have been this popular without getting extremely lucky to land such a studio right, not to mention a good chunk of there ideas are from Muv-Luv as Isayama Hajime has stated and made obvious. Even the AkG manga is more detailed then the AoT manga and handles death in a less predictable manner. Don't get me wrong i'm still enjoying both but no one can deny AoT is one of the lucky one's.

And i'm sorry there's very few scenes where AoT's gore stands out to me, there's pages and pages for AkG.

blindworm wrote:

I liked this series when it started, it seemed edgy, unpredictable, adult, no one was safe etc. then it depended so much on that that it became predictable, i figured out who was safe and who wasn't,
Keep thinking that there's been plenty of moments to prove you wrong there, if that really is true give your final prediction on who will be the last remaining.

blindworm wrote:
now i find it a very average at best series. that tries to hard to be the next big mature. gory thing, up there with berserk and attack on titan
He has his own thing not sure why people have to compare things, this coming from a large fan of Berserk.
blindworm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:

blindworm wrote:

I liked this series when it started, it seemed edgy, unpredictable, adult, no one was safe etc. then it depended so much on that that it became predictable, i figured out who was safe and who wasn't,
Keep thinking that there's been plenty of moments to prove you wrong there, if that really is true give your final prediction on who will be the last remaining.

not going to predict every death now, but a lot of the time i was thinking, "that person won't die" and they didn't. things like that

blindworm wrote:
He has his own thing not sure why people have to compare things, this coming from a large fan of Berserk.

comparing the violence and themes to series that have similar themes is only fair, it makes a good base for ones opinion. akame ga kiru throws in scenes that are gory and does little with it half the time. i find it tries to look good instead of being good. unlike berserk, which balances it with great fantastic characters

and when akame ga kiru gives a few pages of important back story, just some notes and exposition and goes back to things, leaving the back story unsatisfying. berserk spent several fantastic volumes explaining guts back story. and i adored him after it
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
blindworm wrote:
When akame ga kiru gives a few pages of important back story, just some notes and exposition and goes back to things, leaving the back story unsatisfying. berserk spent several fantastic volumes explaining guts back story. and i adored him after it
Are you sure you're not just confusing that with the fact you've read over 333chapters, it's pretty much explored relatively in the same manner we're only at 45 chapters buddy give it time.

And i'm pretty sure in 45 chapters we didn't know anything of great significance in Berserk either not to mention AkG has more plausible romance options at the moment then those 333 chapters.

And can you honestly tell me really tell me there was no importance of any of the deaths in AkG that shock factor is just as important and enjoyable as episode 25 of berserk and beyond?

Granted episode 25 was brilliant for obvious reasons, but i don't think it's exactly fair when AkG has been pulling off shock factor in a respectable and memorable fashion in JUST 45 chapters.

See this is exactly what i'm talking about here, you guy's go to such a level to dissect something and point fingers you can't enjoy something for what it is.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I love Akame ga Kill, but I've always thought of it as the poor mans Attack on Titan in some ways.

Now let's put Production I.G in the mix. You do know AoT never would have been this popular without getting extremely lucky to land such a studio right, not to mention a good chunk of there ideas are from Muv-Luv as Isayama Hajime has stated and made obvious. Even the AkG manga is more detailed then the AoT manga and handles death in a less predictable manner. Don't get me wrong i'm still enjoying both but no one can deny AoT is one of the lucky one's.

Technically it was Wit Studio, but I heard Production I.G pretty much took over after one point.

To emphasize on my comparison of Akame ga Kill and Attack on Titan, I meant it in that both have a lot of similarities, but do very different things with their material.

-Both start off as fairly typical shonens, with many familiar shonen elements. Attack on Titan quickly goes beyond those tropes and really establishes itself as something much more mature and serious-minded then what you might first thought. It's very similar to Fullmetal Alchemist in that regard. Akame ga Kill on the other hand, also starts off as a typical shonen, but never really attempts to be much more than that.

-Both series involve squads of gorilla fighters having to combat an enemy that greatly out matches them. Attack on Titan really explores the concept of the Titans and the ongoing battle with them, while Akame ga Kill just goes with whatever new crazy super powered villain the author can think of next.

-Both have large casts of characters, with some regularly killed off. Attack on Titan's characters are fairly well developed with unique personalities, and their deaths usually come suddenly and unexpectedly. As I mentioned before, AgK's cast are mostly just generic anime characters, with only a few of them being developed or explored enough to make them truly interesting. The character deaths tend to be pretty predictable as well.

-Both series take place in crapsack fantasy worlds that have horrific things going on in them. Attack on Titan greatly explores its world and the people living in it, and really gives you a good overall feeling for it. Akame ga Kill doesn't do much world exploring at all. It has a big world, but never really cares to show you much of it.

Overall, I just feel that Attack on Titan does smarter things with what it has than Akame ga Kill does. But that's not necessarily a critism though. Akame ga Kill knows exactly what it is and doesn't try to be anything more than that, which I kinda respect it for. It just wants to be a violent, trashy, and entertaining manga, which it succeeds at. We have so many series out there that try to be the next BIG thing, but tend to just crash and burn. Akame ga Kill is a rare gem in that it manages to strongly stand out, but doesn't act pretentious or standoffish.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Akame ga Kill knows exactly what it is and doesn't try to be anything more than that, which I kinda respect it for. It just wants to be a violent, trashy, and entertaining manga, which it succeeds at. We have so many series out there that try to be the next BIG thing, but tend to just crash and burn. Akame ga Kill is a rare gem in that it manages to strongly stand out, but doesn't act pretentious or standoffish.
Again.. Why don't you guy's start off with saying this Question
LinkSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
As long as they don't think about adapting the last arc the anime should be fine.
I don't that the characters are tremendously special but they do posses qualities that make them stand out.Like the main character's determination to kill,or the Bors's relationship with family and his work.Also,manga achieved a nice balance of triumphs and loses,never making it too dull or anti-climatic.But,ever since the introduction of "Rape Hunt",manga started to suffer from creating shock value for the sake of shock value.Granted it always did that,but they increased that aspect overwhelmingly in latest chapters.Which is a real shame,hopefully anime will not touch these parts.

I believe they will adapt everything before the newest arc's start. Then if the show gets the popularity and sales the hype is leading me to believe, they might tackle a second season in a few years when there's enough material, much like Attack on Titan.

I agree with you that Rape Hunt freaking sucks... However all the other characters I enjoy are still there so I'll definitely want to see them animated in the newer arcs, whatever might happen to them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
I seriously hope this anime gives the series enough momentum in the west to get the manga licensed. I NEED this series in English. One of the best manga I've read in a LONG while.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
People who say "casuals" is actually a thing?
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>People even thinking of comparing AKG to Attack On Shounenshit

Casuals are the worst thing to happen to anime fandom.

I seriously hope this anime gives the series enough momentum in the west to get the manga licensed. I NEED this series in English. One of the best manga I've read in a LONG while.

It's unfathomable really, i would understand if they mentioned something from the 80's or 90's or some unknown manga while bringing up a valid point. But most of these comments are shamelessly or unconsciously trying to recruit more viewers or readers to there favorite series.

We get it already, AoT is popular a lot of people know of this series and Production I.G made it a smash hit.

On an unrelated note, but not very much AoT shamelessly borrowing from Muv-Luv to a point of being a template. This current arc has proven once again that not only am i right but Isayama Hajime's words weren't meant to be taken lightly.

Yttrbio wrote:
People who say "casuals" is actually a thing?
Casuals/normal fags pick your poison, it's been a thing forever ago.

Last edited by StormVanguard on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
tee2330

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I predict censorship up the ass, and the reason this anime is so good is because in the fight scenes you never know who's gonna die, I mean after the spoiler[death of make up and scissor girl] I didn't know who was gonna live or die in battle the suspense was heart pounding, also the shonen action cliches don't remember that happening alot and even if they did who gives a shit I thought all anime fans would be used to it by now.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
I predict censorship up the ass, and the reason this anime is so good is because in the fight scenes you never know who's gonna die, I mean after the spoiler[death of make up and scissor girl] I didn't know who was gonna live or die in battle the suspense was heart pounding, also the shonen action cliches don't remember that happening alot and even if they did who gives a shit I thought all anime fans would be used to it by now.

You can either watch it as it airs then watch the bluray or just watch the bluray. Literally changing the content would be pointless if they change AkG to be shounen approved i would cringe.

Yeah i thought they would as well, the only cliche i recall was the reveal of Esdese's powers everything has been too damn brutal to be a cliche, you're telling me a girl that can change her arm into a freaking spoiler[anti tank rifle by having a pet of hers shape and mold it] is a cliche? Face it AkG does everything well giving you a satisfying kill bill like experience, who the *** cares if they're riding shock factor it's the whole reason we strapped in for the ride in the first place.

No, if you want cliche i will give you one..Super power transformations at the exact right moment. Yes i'm referring to Titans, and one arc in particular that greatly disappointed me spoiler[when Eren Jaeger got a new ability just as him and Mikasa and everyone was about to die.]

The fighting and choreography is just damn right satisfying while the romance has so much potential unlike a large number of shounens at the moment one of them being Attack on titan. So if there's something really THAT wrong i guess you actually need to point it out to me instead of being very misleading about it.

Not mentioning the art and what the manga does well in your opinion is a ticket for no one to take you seriously when you made it obvious you're up to date with the manga. Obviously something brought you here in the first place and we would like to hear that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2