• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Series Set in France

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julz314

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
*Sous le signe des Mousquetaires*.... The Three Musketeers in French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Musketeers_Anime

This was my favorite anime as a child. I don't think it was ever dubbed in English but I got to see it in French ^^.

(For those who know about the Three Musketeers and not about this anime Aramis is a chick in this series!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghn8i8RyjyU Opening theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIaEjVssJo Ending theme (one of my all-times favorite anime ending even if it is in French! <3 )
veu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
Rose of Versailles is the best anime of all time. Well of course Rose of Versailles would be at #1.

There is also The Three Musketeers anime set in France and also La Seine no Hoshi.

La Seine no Hoshi is very popular in Europe (the italian title is Il Tulipano Nero, the french title is La Tulipe Noir). This anime is set during the French Revolution.

In english the title is The Star of the Seine or The Seine's Stars.

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Seine_no_Hoshi
albanian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How would you know it faithfully captures the feel? ;D

Okay, you got me there. With all the loving detail in everything from clothes to signs to buildings, it certainly gives the distinct impression of being faithful.

I don't know whether a pun was intended, but given that the whole japonisme craze in Paris coincided with the early beginnings of Impressionism - as well as the rapid growth of photography - this is one of the most widely visually documented periods of Parisian history, and the source material is there to ensure accuracy in the depiction of the city and its people. And, in my opinion, accurate it certainly is.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
this is one of the most widely visually documented periods of Parisian history, and the source material is there to ensure accuracy in the depiction of the city and its people. And, in my opinion, accurate it certainly is.

In one comment I read, Romain mentioned that many of the 19th century buildings depicted in Croisee still exist today. The illustrators apparently did field research to find locations that they could use as backgrounds.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much either way about Croisee's quality as a story, but just about every image I've seen of it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I've toyed with blind-buying it just because of that. Le Chevalier is already sitting in my backlog, so hopefully I can get to it sooner than later.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
albanian wrote:
this is one of the most widely visually documented periods of Parisian history, and the source material is there to ensure accuracy in the depiction of the city and its people. And, in my opinion, accurate it certainly is.

In one comment I read, Romain mentioned that many of the 19th century buildings depicted in Croisee still exist today. The illustrators apparently did field research to find locations that they could use as backgrounds.

From the review here on ANN: "The Galerie du Roy, where much of the series' action takes place, is actually a replica of the Galerie du Roi, which is part of the Galeries Royals Saint-Huberts in Brussels, Belgium, but it fits well into the setting."

So yes, very historically-accurately French, except for the parts where almost all of the show happens, which are very historically-accurately Belgian. Wink
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I've seen all of these but the Sakura Taisen OVA and the Paris no Isabel one, which sounds especially exciting! And I totally did not know that I could buy Croisée subbed! o_O Thanks to this article, I'll go remedy that right now!

(And I am a very content owner of both D'eon and RoV. Anime hyper)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
albanian wrote:

From the review here on ANN: "The Galerie du Roy, where much of the series' action takes place, is actually a replica of the Galerie du Roi, which is part of the Galeries Royals Saint-Huberts in Brussels, Belgium, but it fits well into the setting."

So yes, very historically-accurately French, except for the parts where almost all of the show happens, which are very historically-accurately Belgian. Wink

Actually being from Europe, in the cities where the old historic sections survived, they all look similar unless you key in on specific historic buildings or structures like the Arc, Notre Dame of the Eiffel tower. I mean just looking a the picture used in the column it looks like half the cities in Europe.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking more about the scenes that emphasize architectural styles and rely on perspective like this one:
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
I've always been a bit obsessed with France because my father grew up there (his parents were immigrants, and his whole family moved to America eventually, and I never learned French, so my "Frenchness" is up for debate, but I like to consider myself part French Razz). I finally took my dream trip to Paris this year, and watching Naruto dubbed in French on TV was such a trip (they pronounced his name with such French emphasis: "uzu-MAKI" Laughing)!

I've longed dreamed of watching shows like Le Chevalier D'eon and The Rose of Versailles in French with English subtitles. Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. RoV in particular is just hard for me to watch in Japanese it brings me right out of the story.

Another show that takes place in France: Les Misrables: Shoujo Cossette. I haven't seen it, but from Youtube clips it looks pretty good, if less exciting than the musical version of the story.

I'm disappointed in the polls options lately. Last week I wanted to vote that I hadn't been to Japan, but I'm dreaming of going one day. This week I'd like to vote that I'm a big fan of cosplay but I only occasionally get to cosplay myself...
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I've longed dreamed of watching shows like Le Chevalier D'eon and The Rose of Versailles in French with English subtitles. Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. RoV in particular is just hard for me to watch in Japanese it brings me right out of the story.

Alas, you are too late. For a while the most accessible version of Rose of Versailles was a French Canadian edition, entitled Lady Oscar, but I think it is out of print now.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Did Lady Oscar have English subtitles?
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Probably no English subtitles. And, while Amazon.ca still lists "Lady Oscar - Coffret #1 (3DVD) (Version française)", Coffret #2 seems never to have appeared.
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Part of Madlax takes place in Nafrece, a fictionalized version of France.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2