• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Reimagines World Cup Teams as Anime Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashminigun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmoth wrote:
I was about to ask where England was but then I remembered they were barely in the World Cup. They didn't last long enough to get a pencil sketch.

The artist had already made all 32 countries that participate in this World Cup. He (or she) made fun of England drawing three kittens on the background. Try google the artist name though I'll warn you some of the images are NSFW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Loving Argentina. They're all pretty nice designs. But I can't help but laugh at metal "b***s" from the Netherlands. Poor Bosnia. I've never heard of Herzegovina. Funny that they put them together. Looking at the map I guess they have a close connection with Bosnia.

The country's name is actually Босна и Херцеговина, which transcripts into Bosnia and Herzegovina, though most people just say Bosnia, I believe the Herzegogovina part translates into "Republic", so it's actually The Republic of Bosnia, but I am most probably wrong on the translation.

Btw, DAT Balgium!
Chaz7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmoth wrote:
I was about to ask where England was but then I remembered they were barely in the World Cup. They didn't last long enough to get a pencil sketch.

If you go to the Pixiv link in the article, you can find on the artist account the drawings related to almost all teams (I couldn't find Croatia and France when I looked). Although you might need an account to be able to see them.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, look, the USA girl is blonde with blue eyes, just like everyone who lives in America....
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Mecha and Soccer combined is literally business repellant. Cute as they may be the majority would be scared away. Some of these are straight pop shots at their cultures. Brazil can't get away from that stereotype.

I do love how Asuka is Germany though.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't wanna sound biased but... Netherlands looks the best, really Razz I mean, we even got a cool looking lion!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asturaetus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Netherland looks cute, but man Ivory Coast and Italia are sexy.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I believe Netherlands is drawn that way because the team name is, roughly translated, Clockwork Orange. They use the team name as inspiration for the design in a bunch of them.

Strange though they added the stars denoting World Cup wins to all the countries that have them but Uruguay (who has 2 wins).
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

The country's name is actually Босна и Херцеговина, which transcripts into Bosnia and Herzegovina, though most people just say Bosnia, I believe the Herzegogovina part translates into "Republic", so it's actually The Republic of Bosnia, but I am most probably wrong on the translation.

No, "Herzegovina" derives from the German, "Herzog", for Duke. At one time Bosnia and Herzegovina were two separate parts of the Ottoman Empire.
PmChivas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmoth wrote:

Found them on Imgur. Some others may be considered NSFW, but England is represented in his drawings.

Click here: http://imgur.com/gallery/wI1pe for more countries. Smile

Though from the USA, I really liked the ones from Russia, Argentina, and France.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I think Switzerland-tan's spent just a liiiiiiitle too much time in Wisconsin.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
So America is basically a girl wearing an Iron Man armour that is painted partly like Tony's main ones and the Iron Patriot?

England looks funny. Sums us up quite well - all bark but no bite.

Australia and Belgium are probably my favourite. Why couldn't England be like Belgium?
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Given that Bosnia/Herezegovina went through a horrible, bloody civil war just about 20 years ago, that design doesn't seem like the best idea...

I do like the others, though (especially USA, Argentina and 'Quincy-girl' Japan).
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
Given that Bosnia/Herezegovina went through a horrible, bloody civil war just about 20 years ago, that design doesn't seem like the best idea...

That's what I was thinking... definitely did a double take as I scrolled by that one.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure people in Brazil aren't white.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4