• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Manga Returns in August After 2-Month Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Fabulous news, there will still be an extremely long wait for the next volume to be released in the west but at least it's coming Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, Berserk isn't a monthly manga as the tankoubon would take longer to come out and taking a hiatus on that would be even worse.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Berserk is the Game of Thrones of the manga world. Many of its fans can't wait for the next volume and worry that it may never be finished.

As much as I love the story (it's easily in my top five), I do hope that Miura will wind it up. It seems like it could be headed toward a final arc, so that's promising.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
This is just me commenting my points, not argueing that they are better than yours.

lhernan02 wrote:

Frankly, I would forgive Guts' "powering up" (it makes sense story wise, although he has been pushing it a bit much lately), but the sidelining of Serpico and Farnese (you could write a whole seinen manga about those two alone)

I was more implying his over the top actions, which nearly all shonen are famous for. Sure it has excessive reasons. But it does feel over the top, be it in a good way.

And yeah, those two are godamn great.

Quote:
for shonen stock characters like Isy and Sheri (they are children acting like children in an adult setting, thus the shonen angle, rather then the fighting style) is a bit much.

Well even though they are in an adult setting, kids can still act like kids, even in a dark setting. They first have to get there hands dirty in it. Isirido left his home with the similar attitude of Luffy. And yes he was a bit comical in the beginning, still is especially around puck. But when Sherieke came along, he seemed a bit worthless in the group. He was even arguing with the old man who gave him his new weapon about having dreams, but we rarely saw this side of him. And when Guts was depending on him to defend everyone in the troll cavern, he had a similar expression when Guts felt like he was getting Gambino's approval. Implying he did not feel like an outsider in the group anymore. Sure I admit he is childish, but its an honsest attitude for a child that is maturing. Esspecially before the Sea God arc where he was fighting pirates alone, he was shocked on the wound he inflicted on a human being.

Sherike learned from her mentors experience of the heretic hunts by the Holy Seel. And from her experience with entirely new people, she is dealing with strange sensations, like not feeling alone or being depended on. Her interest in guts is not in a lovey way, she knows she cant have him. Her spaztastic fairy thinks otherwise, but she is wrong. But she is able to help guts in a way no one else can.

Generally these two serve a purpose of keeping Guts sanity in-tact. Before he was in a party, he was about to sexually slaughter the person he was trying to protect because berserk personality was talking a toll on him with how long he was alone fighting constant battles with demons. So the childish comedic moments serve a purpose, like in the city-state before they took a boat to Elfheilm.

Quote:

Also, the two resident lolis have crushes on their respective seniors (not reciprocated so there is no creepiness, but for such an adult manga, it is a complete waste of space (earlier, the fairy arc had a ton of lolis and that was top notch as opposed to the current cute girls helping their beloved seniors groove)).

But those children keep it at a distance since they know they cant have him. Its not like a support harem relationship where they growl at eachother for the main hero's attention..........yet. An i hope to god they don't. Plus the Lost Children Arc was basically a giant horror bloodfest, like children of the corn Anime hyper.

Quote:
Anyway, as I said, I am not dropping it because of its current state, even if it never returns to its previous story/character glory, it is still the most beautiful manga out there. Also Miura gave a "shout out" (or "draw out") to my favorite painting (Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights), so he has me until the end regardless of where the story goes.

Thats fine, though for my tastes Mirua gave a turnaround on those child characters. Originally I hated Isirido and Shericke, but when the story unfolded and we learned more about them. Its like he fixed the problem I was feeling.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
This is just me commenting my points, not arguing that they are better than yours.

Same here

bs3311 wrote:
Well ...Elfheilm.

While you have not convinced me, your well thought out view got me to review mine, and I think why their "shoneness" really bothers me (Puck if almost pure comic relief and I don't mind him) is that they took the "place" of Serpico and Farnese who I love as characters spoiler[ (you could write whole essays about their interaction in the execution of Serpico's mother)].

bs3311 wrote:
But those children keep it at a distance since they know they can't have him.

Based on your use of pronouns I think you are misunderstanding me, I meant Sheri/Guts and Sonia/Griff. I am not sure which other lolis there are in the main cast, but again, this is another well explained point on your side which we must agree to disagree on.

bs3311 wrote:
Plus the Lost Children Arc was basically a giant horror bloodfest, like children of the corn Anime hyper.

It was bloody, but you didn't get the whole "child's desperate need to belong and how far they are willing to go and at what point will/can they turn away" groove from that arc. I thought it was one of deeper ones they have covered.

Again, thanks for you well thought out reply and I apologize to the other forum dwellers if we have gone off topic...to stay on topic...Hooray, more Berserk Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2