• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Pain in the Neck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryboom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Public opinion differs from critical opinion which differs from actual sales. No offense to ANN's staff but what they say doesn't exactly matter when it comes to anime in the long run. Shows they praise can sell poorly and never get more episodes and shows they bash can sell thousands and get sequel after sequel. Opinion doesn't account for much in animeland, only sales

The question in the column was about public opinion on Twitter. No one said anything about professional critics' impact on sales.

There isn't enough interest to have a professional caste of English-speaking anime taste-makers. Besides, 99% of anime is genre trash -- I trust the collective to tell me if it's fun trash or not.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Public opinion differs from critical opinion which differs from actual sales. No offense to ANN's staff but what they say doesn't exactly matter when it comes to anime in the long run. Shows they praise can sell poorly and never get more episodes and shows they bash can sell thousands and get sequel after sequel. Opinion doesn't account for much in animeland, only sales

You're making an argument I find particularly odious. My counter: Quantity ≠ Quality. You could give 100 people the choice between watching Citizen Kane and the latest Baysploision movie, and even if 90 of them pick the Baypocalypse that doesn't mean it's a better film – anyone that argues a movie's quality is measured by it's box office sales would be laughed out into the street. Why the same with anime, particularly since it is such a small market, and home to greater variance?

And this dovetails into my next statement: It's okay to like bad things. Or, just because you like something doesn't mean it's good. There's plenty of really bad anime out there that I enjoy watching. Needless. Koihime Musou. Shuffle, forchristsake. You can say, for example, 'okay, RWBY doesn't have the best animation or writing. But it's fun to watch and I want to support American animation'. That's a lot better than saying 'Yes it is' 'No it isn't' on twitter.

So to wrap it up, it's okay to watch Transformers 5: Scrapping the Bottom of the Barrel over Citizen Kane because it's more fun. It's not okay to try to claim it's better. Hope that helps.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I personally would want Onanie Master Kurosawa and Oyasumi Punpun to get animated, but no chance in hell they can get a TV spot nowadays considering the subject matters. Damn shame, but them's the breaks.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
ryboom wrote:

This site spends a lot of time defending anime in general and touting its virtues, odd behavior if what people think doesn't matter.

ANN is a business that depends on people liking anime and the site, in particular.

Melanchthon wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:

You're making an argument I find particularly odious. My counter: Quantity ≠ Quality. You could give 100 people the choice between watching Citizen Kane and the latest Baysploision movie, and even if 90 of them pick the Baypocalypse that doesn't mean it's a better film – anyone that argues a movie's quality is measured by it's box office sales would be laughed out into the street. Why the same with anime, particularly since it is such a small market, and home to greater variance?

They never said anything about sales being correlated to quality. What they did say is that popular financial successes will be milked, things that aren't won't. Your tirade actually supports his argument. Transformers has become a franchise despite low critical acceptance.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
For a tape, you just put it in the tape player and press play. With DVD/BD, you have to muck about with menus and unskippable intros and previews and stuff like that.
The only time I've come across "unskippable" intros is when I wasn't using my BD player's remote with the pop-up and top menu buttons, and was just using a universal remote with a single menu button.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
[

And this dovetails into my next statement: It's okay to like bad things. Or, just because you like something doesn't mean it's good. There's plenty of really bad anime out there that I enjoy watching. Needless. Koihime Musou. Shuffle, forchristsake.

Here is the thing, if I enjoy something, I consider it to be a good series. No exceptions.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
And this dovetails into my next statement: It's okay to like bad things. Or, just because you like something doesn't mean it's good. There's plenty of really bad anime out there that I enjoy watching. Needless. Koihime Musou. Shuffle, forchristsake.
Here is the thing, if I enjoy something, I consider it to be a good series. No exceptions.
Are you afraid to enjoy something that's "bad"?
insert name here

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Can we have a moratorium on questions regarding the consumer ethics of IP? I don't remember people calling Car Talk to ask the hosts permission to not stop all the way at stop signs, or for driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Watch stuff illegally or don't, but save your moralistic handwringing for your priest or whoever.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
The only time I've come across "unskippable" intros is when I wasn't using my BD player's remote with the pop-up and top menu buttons, and was just using a universal remote with a single menu button.

I have this problem with the Funimation/Madman Ga-Rei Zero Collection BD's, get an unskippable Evangelion advertisement.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell would you use Hulu anyway? Even paid, there's still ads.

The fact that you can't even access the service in Canada only further adds insult to injury. And if you live in a distant foreign country where you have no access to these legal streaming services, sometimes piracy is the only real option for people.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Why the hell would you use Hulu anyway? Even paid, there's still ads.

The fact that you can't even access the service in Canada only further adds insult to injury. And if you live in a distant foreign country where you have no access to these legal streaming services, sometimes piracy is the only real option for people.

To have no access, it would have to be a country with no internet, but there are a number of countries with quite limited selection on the sites they can access.

Take Grenada, in the Eastern Caribbean, where I once taught Math, or my wife's country of the Democratic Republic of Congo. One is a micro-state and the other is obviously not a "core" manga/anime market. But each ended up with some new simulcasts on Crunchyroll ... just not as many as the US, Latin America, Oz or UK ... 15 free and 18 for members in the Eastern Caribbean, 5 free and 8 for members in Sub-Saharan Africa outside of South Africa or the Arab League.

There's no explicit commercial sense in locking the West Indies out of Latin American licenses, or locking most of Sub-Saharan Africa out of a broad multi-region license ... there is no rival or even a glimmer of a prospect of a rival bidder for those rights. Its just that the commercial benefit of including them has not been enough to force a chance of old habits.

When TV Tokyo picks up the ex-Asia streaming rights to license to Crunchyroll, if there are regions where the ad market is not strong enough to provide any useful royalties, they still allow Crunchyroll subscribers access. So they do not arbitrarily block the Democratic Republic of Congo or Zambia, or Grenada, when there is not going to be any rival bidders for those rights in that part of the world.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to older manga getting made into now, years after it finished, it really is hard as hell to find out why. Probably the most common reason is a simple one, though: There's an anniversary coming up & the anime is part of the celebration.

While Sailor Moon Crystal didn't debut until this year, it was originally announced in 2012, which was the 20th Anniversary of the original anime's debut. While the recent Space Battleship Yamato 2199 series didn't debut on an anniversary year, 2009's Resurrection movie & 2004's Dai Yamato Zero-go OVA series did debut on such years (35th & 30th, respectively). Masami Kurumada celebrated his 30th Anniversary as a manga-ka in 2004, with Toei celebrating by making the Saint Seiya Tenkai-hen movie & the first season of the Ring ni Kakero 1 anime. The first season of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure TV anime was made as part of JoJo's 25th Anniversary celebration, too.

Now the examples "Anonymous" brought up aren't exactly examples of what I brought up; Notari Matsutaro turned 40 last year & Parasyte won't turn 25 until next year. For those productions we may never quite understand why they were greenlit. I'm sure Parasyte's anime is part of a multi-media project, though, since there will also be a live-action movie based on the manga.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
insert name here wrote:
Can we have a moratorium on questions regarding the consumer ethics of IP? I don't remember people calling Car Talk to ask the hosts permission to not stop all the way at stop signs, or for driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Watch stuff illegally or don't, but save your moralistic handwringing for your priest or whoever.

And why ask ANN? What are they, the Vatican of anime? I get that some of the readers here are kids, but guys, you need to think about what right and wrong means for you personally and not ask other people to tell you what you should believe and how you should act. That's part of growing up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Geo: See my prior comment about Parasyte. As for Matsutaro, it might be an anniversary year for it, but I don't think it's really as huge over there as Ashita No Joe, even though it lasted longer. Again, I believe the anime's existence is due to Toei trying to be associated with something skewing a little older for once, and not just something meant to sell toys and games. [It's probably also why they've been trying to adapt Tezuka's Buddha into anime.] Otherwise, to my recollection, the only time they ever slapped their name on more mature content in recent years was for OAVs like Mignight Eye Goku.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason RWBY is held at a much higher standard than most Internet web shows is because it is STRONGLY influenced by anime. In that sense it has drawn in a crowd that looks at it much more critically than people usually do (anime viewers do tend to be more critical than internet ones imo). I say a good portion of people just take internet web shows for what they are, hence this constant friction between people who hate it or like it now with the anime viewers being added to the mix.

Personally I think the series has a lot of issues (sloppy animation whenever people aren't fighting, bland characters, cliche storyline etc.) but I still manage to enjoy it because i don't take it that seriously. It's just a fun little show. Nothing wrong with that. But I just don't understand why people try to put it on a higher level it was never really ment to be on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5