• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tennessee Titans Guard Chance Warmack Is Totally Down With Anime and Cosplay

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
That's awesome it will probably get some people checking it out like maybe Smile would have liked to that a picture with him in my Chopper cosplay would have been pretty cute.
mierin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
That is very cool of him to speak up about liking anime. I wonder what his teammates think about it.

I do own some anime merchandise from a few series, like carabiners for example. My dad likes my Psycho-Pass carabiner that I used for my keys because he thinks it's convenient, but he has absolutely no idea that it is an anime merchandise, because it's not obvious at all at first glance.

I think it's high time I buy some other merchandise I can flaunt with. Though wearing anime shirts in public would be a tall order for me Wink
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
I bought a Death Note shirt and a Kingdom Hearts one about four years ago and I have yet to wear them in public :/ Thankfully my parents don't really diss me about it. They mostly just don't get how I am still into this stuff at my age.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
And in another recent-ish story from a few months back, I wore my Madoka Rebellion shirt from the Japanese theaters on a day that me and a few friends were planning to watch Rebellion together ('cause I had just gotten the BD). An older man approached me and asked me why I had a bunch of young cartoon girls on my shirt. I kinda figured he was trying to make an ignorant statement, so my reply was something like, "It's just a show I watch." But god forbid he stop there. "So you like little girls?" "..." "Should I call the cops on you right now?" "..." "I've got my phone." And I walked away. He caught me again on his way out and told me I was lucky that he doesn't know my name.

I don't quite understand why you let this man threaten you like that. You didn't commit a crime, did you? It's the opposite: This unknown guy harrassed you for no reason, and if he would have been serious and called the cops, who do you think would get more into trouble, a unknown guy like that threating you or you, wearing a harmless t-shirt with some anime characters?

Next time such a similar incident happens just tell with a loud and clear voice "Sir, if you continue harrassing me, I'M the one who's calling the cops. Now stop following me!!".

Seriously....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I grew up two hours away from Nashville so naturally I'm a Tennessee Titans fan, and now I'm even more of one because of this! Go Titans! Very Happy
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I don't quite understand why you let this man threaten you like that. You didn't commit a crime, did you? It's the opposite: This unknown guy harrassed you for no reason, and if he would have been serious and called the cops, who do you think would get more into trouble, a unknown guy like that threating you or you, wearing a harmless t-shirt with some anime characters?

Next time such a similar incident happens just tell with a loud and clear voice "Sir, if you continue harrassing me, I'M the one who's calling the cops. Now stop following me!!".

Seriously....

Well, like I said in my previous comment, I wasn't really worried about the police, but I simply didn't like the predicament. It was discomforting to have to be in such a position in the public. I mean, sure, I could prove myself as innocent and he could be the one getting in trouble for calling the police for a bad reason. But no matter what, when someone accuses someone else of being a pedo, with reason or not, the people around are going to send some really nasty assumptions your way because many peoples' first reaction is, "Who is the pedo that we must protect our children from?" instead of "Who is calling who a pedo?"
It's a natural instinct for many and I just wanted to get out of the situation as soon as possible. Trying to defend yourself against a claim like that around my area is like asking for people to do bad things to you.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
And in another recent-ish story from a few months back, I wore my Madoka Rebellion shirt from the Japanese theaters on a day that me and a few friends were planning to watch Rebellion together ('cause I had just gotten the BD). An older man approached me and asked me why I had a bunch of young cartoon girls on my shirt. I kinda figured he was trying to make an ignorant statement, so my reply was something like, "It's just a show I watch." But god forbid he stop there. "So you like little girls?" "..." "Should I call the cops on you right now?" "..." "I've got my phone." And I walked away. He caught me again on his way out and told me I was lucky that he doesn't know my name.

People are pretty ignorant. Most people aren't familiarized with Anime, hence why its pretty easy for people to misunderstand Anime fans and their interests.

On my trip to Vegas, I wore a shirt with Erza from Fairy Tail and got some weird stares despite the fact that she comes from a Shonen anime, someone even called me a "F*g." I just shrugged it off, and kept going.

On the subsequent day, I wore a shirt with Onizuka from GTO and I suddenly got praised, even one guy went as far as wanting to know where I got the shirt and what series it is. The moment I told it him it was an "Anime" the grin from his mouth suddenly faded and he couldn't believe it was from an Anime. Told him more about the show and he said he's gonna check it out. Seemed like a cool guy but doubt he'll bother with Anime.

If you're going to wear an Anime shirt, make sure it features mostly your favorite Anime male character(s). If you want to wear a shirt that features an Anime series with a mostly female cast, make sure the shirt is subtle enough for them not to care about it but for you to still be able to express yourself. I don't recommend wearing shirts with moe or sexy anime girls on it. Those will attract you a lot of unnecessary attention and possibly remarks from people off your back.

Bottom line, don't wear an Anime T-shirt with a female Anime character on it unless you are female. Only the ladies can get away with wearing whatever they want, whether its superhero, anime, tv-shows characters of any gender, you name it. We're pretty much limited to symbols from Anime series and male characters. Unless you're mentally prepared or masochistic enough to wear a shirt with your favorite Anime female character, don't bother.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of receiving hate for wearing an item of clothing, I made the "mistake" of wearing a 49ers hat while in Cowboys territory. I'd stopped for some gas at a random gas station in some podunk town on the way to Corpus for a job interview. When I was checking out there were some remarks made on my choice of hats, and while no hateful words were spoken, there was clear malice behind it. So I decided to laugh it off and GTFO.

A friend of mine experienced some of the same when we stopped for gas on the way to a concert. He was wearing a Jesus Lizard t-shirt (they're a band just in case you're confused) and some people didn't take kindly to it, not even realizing the band is named after an actual species of lizard.

So anime, sports, music...you're going to run into not-so-nice-people anywhere, so experiences like the ones mentioned in this thread are not unique. It's real nice to read what Chance Warmack said. I feel like Shonen Jump style shows similar to the ones he mentioned would play real well to football players, the aforementioned Brennan Williams (@greatblackotaku on twitter) is certainly a fan.

Too bad no one asked if Warmack had an opinion on Eyeshield 21. Of course the reporter misspelled "Dragon Buzzie" in an earlier posting of the article, so no hope there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote

Cutiebunny wrote:

It always bums me out when I see adults making fun of other adults and especially teens for showing off what they love by wearing themed clothing or dressing as the character they love.

Hey, we make fun of people wearing other sports jerseys. Wink

IZFSLE wrote:

People can walk around with their pants half-way fallen-off

We make fun of those too! Laughing
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
I recall seeing a feature story about a Defensive or Offensive Lineman for San Diego a few years back who had a "Hello Kitty" Cooper Mini. It was hilarious to see he and one of his teammates getting out of that tiny pink car with the cutesy character all over it. Fans come in all shapes and sizes.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I love anime and I would think an adult man with a Madoka Majica shirt was a creeper. I mean, I wouldn't call the cops, but if you're a fan of that stuff, you're probably a pedo. When I see someone with a marijuana leaf on their shirt, I assume they do drugs.

I suspect Gundam or Black Lagoon shirts would not have people threating to call the cops.

Iam confused about the Pokemon ones though. Common sense dictates there would be adult fans of a franchise that old, and it's not like there's anything pervy or moe about Pikachu.

Anyway this comment section makes me feel better about my area. I used to think it was pretty redneck, but people walk around here with comic book, game, anime, whatever shirts in public and noone gives a shit. I think past age, say, 17 it becomes harder and harder to care what show or comic or movie other people like. I mean Ithink Twilight is stupid but I'm not down at the mall making fun of fat chicks. Who cares? Their idiocy doesn't affect me in any way.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
And you know, not to threadjack, but I used to be SUPER into anime, and I've basically fallen out of ghe community all together, because somewhere along the way it turned from "yeah, robots and boobs!" To "why are pedophiles prosecuted?" And that's not something I feel comfortable with. So every six months or so I catch up with some robot shows, then think I'll give fandom a try, and bang!! Very first comment section, on a post having to do with football of all things is a guy bitching because he can't express his love for little girls openly, and then a rousing chorus of oh yeah that is so terrible.

When anime fandom was about championing quality animation, I was all in. Nkw that it's about defending pedophillia, I'm unfortunately out. I still watch stuff like Gundam, but I end up behind on the news and stuff because I stay away from the creepy guys that unfortuantely hold all the power in this fandom.

I've stopped buying Shonen Jump because of all the little girl fanservice. Seriously, those of you who read Jump, show one of the hot springs scenes to one of your parents and see what they say. And no, I'm not a prude, but I think most people understand why a J. Scott Campbell or Jim Lee Mary Jane picture is something a y
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Normal young man would find appealing but a Madoka Majica picture isn't.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
^.....Did you honestly just refer to all Madoka Magicka fans as "pedos"? Like, seriously?

You know, I like Madoka Magicka because it's well-animated, well-written, and has a fantastic story, not because I have a fetish for little girls. Are you saying I'm a pedo? Confused
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^.....Did you honestly just refer to all Madoka Magicka fans as "pedos"? Like, seriously?

You know, I like Madoka Magicka because it's well-animated, well-written, and has a fantastic story, not because I have a fetish for little girls. Are you saying I'm a pedo? Confused

Are you walking around sporting a T -shirt with sexualized little girls on it? Because if you are, I'm not saying you are definately a pedo, but if it walks like a duck, etc.

The dude was (apparently) an adult male and someone else told him liking moe was wrong. It is. The poster is in the wrong. Defending him, which I'm sure everyone here will do, is gross.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3