• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Challenges Other US Distributors To Participate in Ice Bucket Challenge

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Still, as long as it's raising awareness and money for a good cause, I don't really see the harm in it.

True, it'll probably die out pretty soon until next summer, but the fact that this silly little fad has somehow been able to raise $100 million dollars in funds for ALS research is nothing to sneeze at.

Exactly it's for a great cause for a disease that generally gets very little attention. And if you look at the donations they are getting this "silly little trend" is doing a lot of good.

Anyways Funimation's challenge was one of my favorites. They all better do it. Smile
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:06 am Reply with quote
The ice bucket challenge going viral has raised TONS of awareness for ALS and many millions extra has been raised (seriously, I barely knew anything about it until this happened). Also, it's just plain fun. There will always be sticks-in-the-mud that get annoyed at anything popular. Sometimes you just have to loosen up and let people have fun.

BTW, the rules have been skewed. Now people are pretty much challenged to take the Ice Bucket Challenge AND donate money (that's what I did anyway). The ice water being dumped on your head supposedly represents what it feels like for a person with ALS and have little control over their body (only we feel it just for a quick second. They feel it permanently). The original challenge was: either donate money or experience what it feels like (now it's both!).
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there'll be a Space Brothers short with Mutta doing this at some point.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
OK next, let's start popularizing this as well - Boob Aid!

Charity for AIDS prevention (NSFW):

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8ac_1409409995

Now let's make this an ongoing cycle. Let's get this viral, people! Who wants to challenge? Laughing

Is ‘Boob Aid’ Charity Squeeze-A-Thon The Next Ice Bucket Challenge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WucXDqz6oaw

[EDIT: Pics removed. -TK]
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
I wonder if people realize how little of this will actually go to funding research in the near future. Last year they spent $15,647,697 out of $24,030,687 collected or 65%. Given that they already get more than they need and this business has already netted them enough to operate for six years at that level and they're unlikely to ramp up the research grants and support programs too much in response to a short-lived funding-spike, just keep in mind it's headed straight for their bank account.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I wonder if people realize how little of this will actually go to funding research in the near future. Last year they spent $15,647,697 out of $24,030,687 collected or 65%. Given that they already get more than they need and this business has already netted them enough to operate for six years at that level and they're unlikely to ramp up the research grants and support programs too much in response to a short-lived funding-spike, just keep in mind it's headed straight for their bank account.

They already get all that need? What are you talking about? Did you ever consider that some of the money may not go to research but to helping people who already have the disease.

And yeah god forbid there are some administration expenses.

This post on tumblr actually addresses your criticisms really well.

http://sherokutakari.tumblr.com/post/96449814023/madlori-jmathieson-fic-mumblingsage
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
I got the number from their 2013 income tax return, so I know exactly that only about half their outlays were research(the other two categories being support and education, for those following along). I just wanted to pour a bucket of cold water on the ice bucket challenge, though admittedly I seem to have been pessimistic about how much they're actually using.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else disappointed that Gen wasn't part of this challenge?

I mean, after all, he is the CEO.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:35 am Reply with quote
This ice bucket challenge thing is stupid (and pretentious to an extent.) I hate it when people jump on bandwagons. Just like that time people were putting duct tape on their faces to protest the gay marriage ban. The whole thing looked ridiculous and reduced the real issue to nothing more than the latest trend for celebrities to follow. Not that I had any intention of donating to this cause, I heard that less than 30% of donations from this ice bucket challenge are used for actual research. And some stuff about animal testing. SMH
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
As long as ALS people aren't complaining - they are the most important factor in this whole thing, more than our inconveniences.

30% spent on research for future cure; another 30% spent on immediate needs like electric wheelchairs, building house ramps for their wheelchairs, medicine and helpers, etc. Future cure would be more useful if those afflicted can live well enough to use it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2