• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Meat Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Manga that run in the Kirira magazines.

Thank you.
I was editing my previous post when you wrote yours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
insert name here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
...Cue the Green Acres theme!

LEAVE GREEN ACRES OUT OF THIS!
Miki-Koishikawa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Man, I gotta ask:

cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/78804/05-hrt8omx.jpg

What's that mysterious Cowboy Bebop limited edition next to the Dawson's Creed sets. From the spine, it looks like the film, but I never heard of it getting an LE treatment - even in the UK.

Sony Pictures released a limited edition in Germany a couple of years ago (the one you can see in the pictures). It contains the DVD, a shiny slipcover and a big fat booklet with a lot of sketches.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Put it this way. If every cute girls slice of life show was on the same quality level as A-Channel then I'd have no problem signing up for the 'anti moe brigade' and using all their stupid buzzwords in protest of the 'generic moe shit that airs every season'

Which does not make you any better than them, but whatever floats your boat.
I was half joking when I said that. To tell the truth K-ON is what got me into anime so if it wasn't as good as it was then I doubt I would have been attracted to anime in the first place. And even if I did get into anime from my experience with some other show I think I'd probably just avoid those types of shows. That being said, I doubt I'd be totally annoyed by them when the show they're getting angry about is bad for a whole host of other reasons.

The reason why I think those people are full of shit is because K-ON, Hidamari and the like are such great shows. Many of the people who dislike shows of that description just fling around buzzwords to hide that they're completely incapable of forming a genuine criticism of them. They're not personally interested in what the show's going for but instead of just accepting that it was never made for them they try to paint their completely personal little nitpicks as gaping objective flaws in the show's execution.

Within its genre, I'd say K-ON and Hidamari are among the very best. A-Channel (And Tamako for that matter) belongs to the same genre but the execution is very lacking. If they were all on that same level of quality it's probably a genre I'd want to avoid altogether.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The biggest question I have about Tamako Market is why is it only a dubbed DVD release?

I seem to recall hearing that a BD version is coming. It is just much delayed due to licensor concerns. When it will come is certainly a question mark though. A Certain Magical Index is finally getting its delayed BD release, so give it a year or two.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Not sure where people get Green Acres from Silver Spoon, the series is nothing like that. And I can only hope you saw very little of it, if that is what you got from it.

And no it's not a slice of life series. It's a coming of age story with both comedy and drama.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
And no it's not a slice of life series. It's a coming of age story with both comedy and drama.
What, it can't be both? What do you think 'slice of life' means?

Coming of age stories are very common in the slice of life genre. Beck, Hanasaku Iroha, Clannad After Story, even stuff like K-ON and Love Live did it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Loved 'A Channel' and K-On. Still liked Stella C3, despite its flaws. Might watch TM though based on this review.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Coming of age stories are very common in the slice of life genre. Beck, Hanasaku Iroha, Clannad After Story, even stuff like K-ON and Love Live did it.

Slice of Life as genre is thrown around way too easily. This is not a Slice of Life series or at least not primarily one. I suppose you can argue it shows slice of life aspects of going to an agricultural High School.

But I was mainly commenting that this series didn't know what it wanted to be and I disagree it has a clear focus.

As I have not seen any of those other series I can't comment on the comparison.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
"Coming of age" really seems to me like it's something that you can only really apply as a major aspect of a work, rather than a minor one, let alone for a single arc.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
"Coming of age" really seems to me like it's something that you can only really apply as a major aspect of a work, rather than a minor one, let alone for a single arc.

It is the major part of the whole series though.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Slice of Life as genre is thrown around way too easily. This is not a Slice of Life series or at least not primarily one. I suppose you can argue it shows slice of life aspects of going to an agricultural High School.

But I was mainly commenting that this series didn't know what it wanted to be and I disagree it has a clear focus.

As I have not seen any of those other series I can't comment on the comparison.
So in other words, you don't know what slice of life means? Because none of what you just said contradicts the meaning of the word.

Slice of Life does not mean 'a show where nothing happens'. It means that the primary focus of the show is the characters going about their everyday lives.

If it was like Steins;Gate where along with all the everyday life stuff there's a big underlying plot with lots of sci-fi elements calling it a Slice of Life series would be a bit of stretch (Especially considering the second half of the series is almost entirely focused on the plot). But Silver Spoon is a Slice of Life in just about every sense of the word.

I don't get why what the point of denying it is. It's not like 'Slice of Life' is a dirty word or anything like that.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Slice of Life does not mean 'a show where nothing happens'. It means that the primary focus of the show is the characters going about their everyday lives.

That is what I always thought it meant. We just see what the characters get up to day-to-day. What I think are perfect, and recent, examples of SoL shows are Non Non Biyori and Barakamon.
xinsaew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the people that liked the whole tonal shift in Stella C3. I felt like it was an interesting change of pace from what I originally expected. The whole scene where Yura is in the arcade playing games by herself and depressed I found to be very relate-able and made me enjoy her return to her joyful self more.

However I did find the whole imagined/maybe not so imagined scenes to be a bit confusing and could of used more explanation in the second half.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Tamako Market and plan on getting the DVD at some point during the holidays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2