• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 10,000 Fans Chime in On Their Favorite PlayStation Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
These are my top 5 favorite games I played back when I had a PS2:
Tekken Tag Tournament 1
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater
GTA: San Andreas
Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo
Gran Turismo 4

For my PS1:
Tekken 2
Gundam Battle Assault 2
Twisted Metal 2
Test Drive Off Road
Namco Museum vol.3
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if they US gamers would vote, it will be just mostly games with guns.
Actually probably not. A US list of just Playstation would probably be pretty diverse. You're FF's, Gran Turismos, Tekkens, Metal Gears, would be on there with Uncharteds, GTAs,Twisted Metals, and God of Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
acetatsujin wrote:
FF VII needs a remake for the PS7. Man I'm so looking forward to that. See you guys in 15 years.

It's not like upgrading the FFX or even the FFVIII characters--
Amazing how most fans of the photorealistic FF's forget that the FFVII characters were essentially 3-D versions of the V and VI SNES sprites, and we played a game with the Minecraft People.

To do a high-def remake of that, you'd have to literally make the game from scratch, and Square just can't get that into fans' thick heads every time they ask. Confused

Ambimunch wrote:
Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy...

...You know it, bro. Cool

Still count me as one of the "fans in their 40's" (who remember the twentieth-anniversary days of iMac emulators and buying a PS2 to watch those new DVD things) who's glad to see Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King get a little love, but wish it could have come from his own demographic.

Of course they do. The same goes for the older games, too.

But they can do it. They do FFXV and FFXIII and whatever other new games they're going to release. FFVII is going to milk very hard on two consoles, obviously. It's doable now.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
It's not like upgrading the FFX or even the FFVIII characters--
Amazing how most fans of the photorealistic FF's forget that the FFVII characters were essentially 3-D versions of the V and VI SNES sprites, and we played a game with the Minecraft People.

To do a high-def remake of that, you'd have to literally make the game from scratch, and Square just can't get that into fans' thick heads every time they ask. Confused

You don't understand. People aren't asking for an HD upgrade of the original game software, a scratch rebuild is exactly what fans want to see done. Why is it so hard for SE to delay (well, further delay) making a new game that may find a fan base in favor of remaking their most popular game ever worldwide? What part of this is impossible or even challenging to do?

I mean think about it, the hard work is already done for them: character designs, area map designs, game mechanics, and everything else is all planned out. The only hard thing left is building it into one of their fancy Unreal engines and they've got a game guaranteed to sell millions of copies and they can slap it on every and any console and PC platform they want.

SE is just being lazy and they've got you fooled into thinking this is something that can't be done. FFVII has already made them enough money its first time around and with later reissues to pay for a full fledged rebuild of the game. Best part is if they did a remake now they can future proof it for later graphic upgrades 10, 15, 20 years later the same way they've done with KH and FFX.

Sorry, but saying it can't be done doesn't hold water.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I assume that no one remembers Ape Escape (サルゲッチュ)? That title was the only JRPG that was debuted in the U.S. that I enjoyed very well thanks to its vast and colorful levels and the humorous atmosphere. The soundtracks sounded great as well, particularly those from Ape Escape 2.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
SE is just being lazy and they've got you fooled into thinking this is something that can't be done.

Square-Enix is lazy because they'd rather make new games than remake an old game? That's an odd way to look at it. In a current generation where companies are throwing out lazy 'remasterings' of games like Last of Us and GTAV left and right, I find no problem at all that Square is daring to actually make new stuff rather than rehashing games that came out over 10 years ago, let alone games which aren't even a year old. So good on SquareEnix I say, other companies can take the lazy way out, but they choose to move forward rather than cling to the past.

-Stuart Smith
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Square-Enix is lazy because they'd rather make new games than remake an old game? That's an odd way to look at it. In a current generation where companies are throwing out lazy 'remasterings' of games like Last of Us and GTAV left and right, I find no problem at all that Square is daring to actually make new stuff rather than rehashing games that came out over 10 years ago, let alone games which aren't even a year old. So good on SquareEnix I say, other companies can take the lazy way out, but they choose to move forward rather than cling to the past.

-Stuart Smith

Um...wow. You know that Squeenix does "remasterings"too, right? Kingdom Hearts 2 remix just came out a couple days ago. Final Fantasy X before that (all of which are around 10 years old) and we've got Type-0 HD coming out next year...So yeah, they aren't really immune either.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith
This is actually pretty ironic.

Do you actually know anything about Square Enix?

You're saying this about the company who has a huge amount of it's output dedicated to remakes and ports.

How many times have they remade and porterd the various Dragon Quest games? How many more times will they?

How many times will they remake FF games? How many more versions of 4 must there be?

Square actually remakes plenty of thier games.From Saga to Mana. They probably remake and port games more than they do make new games. Pretty stupid to hold Square up as some bastion of creativity in this regard. Especially when recent Square has been anything but orginal and creative. An extreme lack on new ips and new games in general. Instead a reliance on ports, remakes, and mobile cash ins make up a large part of thier output.

No Sqaure dosen't cling to the past. They whore it out.

Which according to you is somehow better than Rockstar(who actually put out several new and interesting games last gen) making one remaster that is anything but lazy.

Wow, can you make your ignorant bias any less obvious now?

I mean what was the point of attacking those games? Why even bring them up? Was this just another instance of you needing to attack anything western while defending anything Japanese? Even though Emerje's line was just in reference to Sqaure talking about how the development of something like FFVII now would be too hard for them. Nothing about his post was about actual remasters. It was about making large scale games.

Also there's nothing lazy about the GTA Remaster which adds a whole new way to play the game. Nor is the The Last Of Us which refines an already great game. Of course since thier western I guess you feel the need to attack them.

Of course the bias you have then plays out where you ignore that Square is also taking part in this supposedly "lazy" trend by putting out its own HD remaster with Type 0. No one doubts they will put out a XIII collection either since that entire series has been about getting as much money out of those assets as possible.

Oh and wasn't the last SE release a HD remaster?

Oh wait it was.

Yeah Square Enix is the real daring company here.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games.

As for my favorite PS games (there are a few PS3 games in here): FFX, FFXII, Threads of Fate, Ratchet and Clank (although I may be cheating a little here since I liked all of the games I've played so far), Legend of Dragoon (which remains my favorite RPG), Assassin's Creed 3, Folklore, Batman Arkham games, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. Legacy of Kain series.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games.

They're pretty good--JRPG with DragonBall-ish character designs and tongue-in-cheek plots by Akira Toriyama. (It's the next best thing to having Bulma as a JRPG character.)
The games themselves vary on the formula with the new games for each new system, although I've only had DQ8 to judge by.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Where the hell is Suikoden, Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profiles, Chrono Cross or BOF IV or III?

These polls always have little merit, 3/4ths of the games on the list are either DQ or FF.

Also Gran Turismo is not the list, basically the game that started Sim racing.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Where the hell is Suikoden, Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profiles, Chrono Cross or BOF IV or III?

These polls always have little merit, 3/4ths of the games on the list are either DQ or FF.

from what I heard on a Suikoden fansite Suikoden II was number 17 on the list for what women gamers voted on.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

from what I heard on a Suikoden fansite Suikoden II was number 17 on the list for what women gamers voted on.

Suikoden, they should remake the suikoden. Its one of the best PS rpg game.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Um...wow. You know that Squeenix does "remasterings"too, right? Kingdom Hearts 2 remix just came out a couple days ago. Final Fantasy X before that (all of which are around 10 years old) and we've got Type-0 HD coming out next year...So yeah, they aren't really immune either.

My point is calling a compay lazy for not doing it is absurd. Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts at added the International/Final Mix content that was missing for decades. Remastering a game less than a year old is nothing short of money grubbing.

-Stuart Smith
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I assume that no one remembers Ape Escape (サルゲッチュ)? That title was the only JRPG that was debuted in the U.S. that I enjoyed very well thanks to its vast and colorful levels and the humorous atmosphere. The soundtracks sounded great as well, particularly those from Ape Escape 2.

...Ape Escape wasn't a JRPG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3