• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch to Air in U.S., Europe, Other Regions Globally

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it's really going to gain interest in the west. Yokai Watch looks like a really charming serious.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes! A hundred times, Yes!
*waits for it to be badly butchered and white washed*

Actually, There could be a good chance it won't be too bad. There was that one episode of Doraemon with a bunch of youkai, and it was handled pretty well in my opinion. Hopefully something similar will happen for Youkai Watch.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
It was obvious there'd be name changes for the youkai if it was to air in different regions. It hardly suprises, nor does it dissapoint me. I don't really mind.

If it is to air in the Netherlands, which it probably won't, I'd actually watch it, it's a fun show even in RAW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be funny if this franchise just never picks up traction in the west? I mean, it's entirely possible. When was the last time another franchise like Pokemon became madly popular in the west? Never, that's when.

Anyway, I've been playing Pokemon since I was about 6 and I sincerely doubt this is going to win me over and keep me interested for as long as Pokemon has. I love Precure but there aren't many other kid's anime that appeal to me (Although I suspect that's pretty normal since I'm not a kid myself). Maybe the kids will like it but nothing beats Pokemon for me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if this franchise just never picks up traction in the west? I mean, it's entirely possible. When was the last time another franchise like Pokemon became madly popular in the west? Never, that's when.

Did you forget Digimon and Monster Rancher (but those came out in the states/west when Pokemon was all hyped, so those 2 franchises were cashing in Pokemon's popularity back then). But Digimon and Monster Rancher have became irrelevent these days because of their popularity decline in the US. But I don't think Yo-kai Watch may stand a chance when broadcast on western TVs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if any franchise can pick up popularity in America anymore with the youth like Pokemon did back in the day. Action animation in general is dead in America. Using shows to sell toylines is pretty much restricted to the long established Ninja Turtles and Transformers these days, and those just seem to scoot on by rather than being mega hits like they were in the 80s where the Ninja Turtles were everywhere and being milked to death.

Youkai Watch might stay on the air, and maybe they'll even bring one of the games over, but it's not going to ignite any kind of spark like it has in Japan where franchise anime and toylines are alive and kicking and new ones come out every year to captivate kids. I've read some posts from Japanese game developers about how one of the reasons arcades are still popular in Japan is because Japanese gamers like to socialize and interact in person when they play games. Western gamers tend to prefer the comfort of their own home and use the internet to play with people. It's why Nintendo has the Streetpass function which seems odd to Americans but is really useful in Japan. It's why Monster Hunter is mainly played local co-op with friends rather than online with strangers.

I wonder if the reason franchises like this work in Japan but not America is because of these hobby changes. It seems like more and more kids would rather stay inside and watch YouTube videos or play video games like Minecraft, League of Legends, or Call of Duty online with each other, rather than playing with card games or other toys which require face to face human interaction. These days, with television becoming more irrelevant, and kids going online more and having other avenues of entertainment, you probably won't get any kind of Pokemon-boom out of a show ever again. Television in America is still trying to catch up with the internet, giving YouTubers actual TV shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network in an attempt to win back the young audience the internet have stolen from them.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
A couple of comments:

1. I wonder has Level-5--the company behind the whole idea--thought about making the anime series available in original Japanese language form on Crunchyroll (or Funimation's streaming service) and also make the English-dubbed version also available online? That way, they don't have to deal with the complications of trying to get it on a cable TV network.

2. Yo-kai Watch is going to be difficult to translate into English because the series is VERY tied to Japanese folklore like GeGeGe no Kitaro was. One of the things that made Pokémon such a huge success outside of Japan was Nintendo's very conscious decision to make sure the Pokémon creaturees were as culturally neutral as possible, in spite of the fact it's obvious many of the Pokémon types are obviously derived from traditional Japanese youkai.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Television in America is still trying to catch up with the internet, giving YouTubers actual TV shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network in an attempt to win back the young audience the internet have stolen from them.

You even got stuff like Conan O'Brien's Clueless Gamer segment which is really awkwardly trying to cash in on the whole wacky Let's Player/PewDiePie thing. It's actually really.. disturbing that something like Game Grumps and PewDiePie are considered iconic kids entertainment. Though I guess that makes me a "grandpa" according to South Park.

Sacto0562 wrote:
I wonder has Level-5--the company behind the whole idea--thought about making the anime series available in original Japanese language form on Crunchyroll (or Funimation's streaming service) and also make the English-dubbed version also available online? That way, they don't have to deal with the complications of trying to get it on a cable TV network.

Toy anime rarely air on streaming sites, presumably because either Crunchyroll thinks nobody will watch it, the parent company wants a bigger audience on TV to help promote the toys, or the parent company asks too much money for their cash cows than CrunchyRoll is willing to pay. Bushiroad air some of their card game anime on their YouTube channel directly, but most anime it is either restricted to edited dubs on TV like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, or just never comes out over here to begin with and you need to use fansubs to watch them subbed and uncut.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

I wonder if the reason franchises like this work in Japan but not America is because of these hobby changes. It seems like more and more kids would rather stay inside and watch YouTube videos or play video games like Minecraft, League of Legends, or Call of Duty online with each other, rather than playing with card games or other toys which require face to face human interaction. These days, with television becoming more irrelevant, and kids going online more and having other avenues of entertainment, you probably won't get any kind of Pokemon-boom out of a show ever again. Television in America is still trying to catch up with the internet, giving YouTubers actual TV shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network in an attempt to win back the young audience the internet have stolen from them.

Sacto0562 wrote:
A couple of comments:

1. I wonder has Level-5--the company behind the whole idea--thought about making the anime series available in original Japanese language form on Crunchyroll (or Funimation's streaming service) and also make the English-dubbed version also available online? That way, they don't have to deal with the complications of trying to get it on a cable TV network.

2. Yo-kai Watch is going to be difficult to translate into English because the series is VERY tied to Japanese folklore like GeGeGe no Kitaro was. One of the things that made Pokémon such a huge success outside of Japan was Nintendo's very conscious decision to make sure the Pokémon creaturees were as culturally neutral as possible, in spite of the fact it's obvious many of the Pokémon types are obviously derived from traditional Japanese youkai.

I'll give you guys 5+ for your analysis/assessment and I'll agreed with them.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:

Yes, I was disheartened at the announcement of all of the Yōkai (minus Jibanyan and Whisper) having their names changed, although I expected that to happen. Now I have to hope that the newly localized names will at least come close to matching the references of the Japanese ones, although that would be a really long shot, if not downright impossible...
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
But Digimon and Monster Rancher have became irrelevent these days because of their popularity decline in the US.
My point exactly. Pokemon isn't quite as popular as it was at its height but it's still very much in the eyes of the mainstream and already has an established fanbase of kids and older people who grew up with it. Yo-kai Watch will more than likely never reach that level worldwide. Anime's popularity in the west just isn't where it was back then.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
But Digimon and Monster Rancher have became irrelevent these days because of their popularity decline in the US.
My point exactly. Pokemon isn't quite as popular as it was at its height but it's still very much in the eyes of the mainstream and already has an established fanbase of kids and older people who grew up with it. Yo-kai Watch will more than likely never reach that level worldwide. Anime's popularity in the west just isn't where it was back then.

Yeah it sad these day, I don't think no monster kid show could replicate the same success like Pokemon did. Thanks to online media streaming, I think it'll be hard for Yo-kai watch to gain popularity. Also as I said, TV broadcast is dying slowly.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Will it be as badly edited as Doraemon?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Will it be as badly edited as Doraemon?
Did you actually watch the Doraemon dub or are you just going off of those pictures that got released before the show even aired?

Doraemon's dub not only had a great cast and great voice acting but also struck a good balance between being faithful to the tone of the original and making it appeal to a western audience. There's no Brooklyn accents or changes in the characters personalities. It's mostly a very straightfoward adaptation.

If anything, the companies that dub anime for kids should be following Doraemon's example.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
I personally think Yo-kai Watch will be a hard sell, if he intends to make it a national phenomenon, especially because it sounds like he wants to market the franchise in the exact same way as in Japan. Someone ought to tell him that Pikachu is NOT popular in the west and that little boys are not into cute things.

I can see Yo-kai Watch being a niche show watched by young adults, but that's about as far as it goes.

MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Yeah, because they're TOTALLY going to become fluent in English AND be able to voice act well in that language within a few months. Sure, Hino-san. Whatever you say. Wink

No, I think he expects the show will become a hit in English-speaking countries and wants them to be able to communicate at some level with the overseas fans.

ParkerALx wrote:
Last time I checked, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Disney's various cable channel's all still play cartoons. Not only on Saturday, but throughout the week. If Doraemon can air on Disney xd, anything is possible.

Looking at patterns of what shows are picked up, however, Cartoon Network seems to have stopped acquiring anime altogether (besides Toonami), and Nickelodeon has never embraced anime at all, the closest they ever got being Speed Racer X, an American adaptation. Disney Anime hyper will be Yo-kai Watch's best bet, though Discovery Kids is a good contender too, as they're still desperately looking for more content and another big hit to help put them on the map.

Ryu Shoji wrote:
I'll be very interested in seeing whether Yo-Kai Watch manages to achieve the popularity it has in Japan. I admittedly have yet to watch or play Yo-Kai Watch, but on a first impression, Yo-Kai Watch looks distinctly more "Japanese" than Pokémon. Sure, Pokémon does have some species based on yokai (such as Froslass), but the franchise as a whole is more self-contained in its own universe. And also, will that put off non-Japanese children or won't they care?

Western kids love Naruto and Bleach, both of which are full of really Japanese stuff. If anything, I think the sheer Japanese-ness of Yo-kai Watch will attract kids. Jibanyan and Whisper, on the other hand, will make for terrible mascots in America and Europe.

Fedora-san wrote:
It's actually really.. disturbing that something like Game Grumps and PewDiePie are considered iconic kids entertainment. Though I guess that makes me a "grandpa" according to South Park.

That, and YouTube poops, and at least among the kids I come across, SpongeBob (which seems to have the same rapid-fire non sequitur humor that YouTube tends to have).

Why stuff like PewDiePie is so popular confuses me greatly. I have a YouTube channel where all I really do is upload game footage I play, and even I don't understand why it's so popular.

Perhaps the deal is the same as with Yo-kai Watch: Maybe they're really into these Let's Plays because grown-ups like me can't understand how they're so enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3