• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2015 Ghost in the Shell Film's 1st Trailer Previews Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope that whatever comes next in the Ghost in the Shell universe after this movie does not have Tow Ubukata or Cornelius involved. I think they are both the weakest link in the Arise universe. Tow Ubukata's screenplay is forgettable and fails to improve on what SAC and Oshii's movies have done, and Cornelius's music is lackluster. I will say that Kazuchika Kise's character designs are starting to grow on me, so at least this universe has something going for it.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Urgh, I.G. needs to split up with Ubukata. It ain't working out guys. The dude may have won awards early in his career but at this point he's franchise poison. Especially after completely destroying my favourite recent sci fi franchise with his lackluster efforts.

At least Kazuchika Kise is still involved. He's the one thing giving me hope since he's outlandishly talented.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't agree more about Ubukata. The only worse news could be that Chiaki Konaka were writing instead.

Kise's designs are really good, though, so at least there's that.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Urgh, I.G. needs to split up with Ubukata. It ain't working out guys. The dude may have won awards early in his career but at this point he's franchise poison. Especially after completely destroying my favourite recent sci fi franchise with his lackluster efforts.

At least Kazuchika Kise is still involved. He's the one thing giving me hope since he's outlandishly talented.

If he does to GitS what he did to Psycho Pass, I'm pretty sure there will be RIOTS. Seriously, the series is a damned cultural institution at this point.
Ghostless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It seems like it's an Arise movie, based on the staff. And judging by the trailer, it looks like Motoko will finally get her adult body.

So far I'm only pleased with the major's look and visuals. It's the same scriptwriter as arise...ergh!!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to get more GITS. I'm not so excited to have Ubukata involved in anyway. I didn't like what he did with Arise, some of it felt downright lazy. Do we really need to explain elements of the original movie? Freaking weak sauce man. Psycho-Pass 2? Yea, I don't think I need to go there as I wasn't the only that was underwhelmed with it. It did make some sense him being assigned PP2 since he has a penchant for shock. I guess he's been anointed as the new go-to Sci-fi boy, so I guess he wont be going away soon. Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Ghostless wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It seems like it's an Arise movie, based on the staff. And judging by the trailer, it looks like Motoko will finally get her adult body.

So far I'm only pleased with the major's look and visuals. It's the same scriptwriter as arise...ergh!!

Well, I've never seen anything else by this scriptwriter, and I enjoyed Arise. I don't see the reason for the disdain towards it. It's basically just more Stand Alone Complex, without being Stand Alone Complex (I guess that in itself can be considered it's biggest problem). I can understand not caring about it, but there's nothing particularly bad about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ubukata wrote the first Arise and people liked it i remeber. Me too. What is wrong now ?
I don´t get it. Then he wrote a(in my eyes great) PP2 that got everyone here angry(but scored high on the year end poll by voters) where he worked of the ideas from the original team and set up some of the movie it seems and now he is Satan. Lol you guys. Read his Chikyuu Umare no Anata e about fukushima. He is realy good and Fafnir oh well. None could have saved that anime. At least i chuckled along.
The Arise stand manga named "Sleepless Eye" is golden btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2