• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon Crystal to Air on TV in Japan, Starting in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
@Pokenatic

I think the show's poor animation quality when it initially aired may explain the massive loss of views.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
So my question is this: why is everyone hating on SMC? Does it not follow the manga? I watched the first few episodes and while the animation was a tad clunky, and the transformations were distracting (cheap 3D) I didn't think it was that bad.

They changed quite a bit from the manga and while I don't hate it as much as others do, I admit that I was VERY disappointed at how they handled the second half of this arc (most specifically with Act 12 and how spoiler[Queen Beryl & the Four Kings' deaths] were handled).

I'll stick around for Black Moon and hope that they won't screw it up (but then again, it'll be hard to screw up that arc to me since the one main problem I had with 90s Black Moon was not in the manga so thankfully that won't be in Crystal) but for now, I still rank the live action show the best of the three as far as Dark Kingdom is concerned (four if you count the manga itself in which Crystal is lower than that).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
So will Toei air the anime as-is, without any alterations?
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I Am a huge Sailor Moon fan and it was my gateway anime series. I have seen all of SMC so far and my opinion is that it's a bit of letdown. I did not expect or want the new series to just be a exact copy of the original but I DID want it to be good. The old series had so much charm and personality and this version seems watered down and heartless.
I want to say that is not all bad. There are little nuggets of charm through out and that's one reason why I keep watching. I think when it is animated well, it looks quite nice. So I will leave final judgment when we get the blurays.
My favorite season is S, so hopefully with the airing on tv and home video sales, they can increase the budget for the later seasons.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Either their aim is to increase disc sales or to have a daylight slot (which brings revenue due to paid publicity). Either way I will not be surprised if at some point they pull the plug and put Robot Girls Z in said daylight slot.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone released the viewership numbers for SMC? I am interested in seeing if it did lose viewers or not since the beginning, but I never know where to find such things.

And (based on what others have said) will this move change the quality of the show animation wise or is this just speculation? I really wanted to like Crystal. I really did. And I know the animation isn't the only problem, but if being put on tv will increase the chance of a better show then I want to be excited for the news.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Has anyone released the viewership numbers for SMC? I am interested in seeing if it did lose viewers or not since the beginning, but I never know where to find such things.

http://ellephedre.tumblr.com/post/107146770770/crystals-ratings-on-niconico-japan

There's a source in the link but it seems viewership in Japan dropped.

Not sure about how it's doing in Europe though (as NicoNico's their only way of watching legally) or about any of Hulu & Crunchyroll's numbers.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
It probably does help that it airs online bi-weekly rather than weekly.
Sailor Hatsune Miku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean they're not showing it online anymore Sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they don't mess up the Black Moon arc and ruin the chance for the Infinity arc to get animated.
Sailor Hatsune Miku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I really hope they don't mess up the Black Moon arc and ruin the chance for the Infinity arc to get animated.

Agreed. Since it is airing on TV soon, the budget should be bigger and it is gunna start to go weekly.

The thing I'm scared of is that they'll stop airing it online.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:

http://ellephedre.tumblr.com/post/107146770770/crystals-ratings-on-niconico-japan

There's a source in the link but it seems viewership in Japan dropped.

Not sure about how it's doing in Europe though (as NicoNico's their only way of watching legally) or about any of Hulu & Crunchyroll's numbers.

Thanks for the source! Wow, you'd think they'd be embarrassed by the drop of viewers. Hopefully they do better this arc. I'm not going to watch though unless I'm damn sure it has gotten better based on the reviews here and elsewhere.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
People still care about SMC? Lol.

A lot of people do actually. Perhaps next time you might also post more than a snarky one liner and actually add something of value to the conversation.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
In that case, I'd like to see them use some of the TV sponsor money to create new transformation sequences for the Black Moon story.
Manwards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
Biggest disappointment in years for me. Loved the first episode just for the novelty of having SM back, but as much as I tried to deny it, I just wasn't enjoying it as it went on. There's no humour, no depth to the relationships, just no soul to it at all. And the animation is awful, even by my lax standards. The characters look deformed half the time. I haven't even bothered with the last episode of the Dark Kingdom arc, and I'll probably wait for the BDs for Black Moon. Such a crushing let-down!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2