• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Creative Intelligent Arts Steps Down From Under the Dog Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChexGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
but is the guy who created Hamatora still writing the screenplay? that's already a bad sign if he is.
Yause

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
I've read the statement the statement on KickStarter; it uses a lot of nice language and all, but what I got from the text was "screw it. If they want to do it their way, let them. I'm out."

That's the feeling I got too. Not that I particularly care about this project. I found the message from that guy saying they were going to save anime from moeblob to be very arrogant and ridiculous considering they're doing "Leather suited big boob girls in apocalyptic dystopia" as if that were the most original shit ever. Still, it always feels as bad news when people start dropping out of projects

That's probably the difference between the pitch to fans (what the Americans want to hear) and the reality of the situation.

Yura and the creative team were probably on the same page regarding a desire for more control and a big piece of the pie (and it would be naive to believe that money wasn't a main motivation to partner with Yura and not the producers who already offered to fund a 2-cour show). That was CIA's pitch to Ishii, Ando, and Kinema Citrus, who may well have been thinking of the concept as a spiritual follow-up to CANAAN.

However, the pitch to fans presented a struggle that didn't necessarily exist: greedy producers who just pander to the market (and force artists to make what they don't want) VS the creatives who are all in it for art and innovation. Think about it: if most animators in the industry are supposedly otaku, how likely is it that they're vehemently opposed to past and present otaku content?

In the end, I think the team wanted it both ways. Risk-free money and a large share of potential profits, plus the other benefits that come with a traditional partnership. Heck, they hired a producer of CANAAN to replace Yura, so in some sense, they may be going back to how things might have been before Creative Intelligence Arts stepped in.
DillMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
This was definitely a confusing message to send to backers out of the blue. I read it last night and it was definitely odd, especially after having no updates for a while. As long as things turn out ok in the end, I have no issue with it. Hopefully that happens.

I am beginning to not trust Kickstarter so much these days, seems like every project has things go wrong, things are almost always delayed or ends up not being completed at all. It is a shame because the ideas on the site are generally very interesting.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
ReddiShadow wrote:
Because if there's one thing we know from watching current anime, it's that there are absolutely no dark and violent sci-fi shows. At all.

There's been sort of a lull in the "dark violent cyberpunk Blade Runneresque thing" lately; the only ones I can think of are Psycho-Pass and Mardock Scramble. But that's the problem; this isn't anything original, it's a throwback to the Ghost in the Shell era. And a pretty formulaic-sounding one, at that.

These Kickstarter anime have been kinda disappointing so far. Kick-heart... was that actually any good? It kinda looks like one of those Animator Expo things, with a dose of over-the-top weirdness. A good proof-of-concept, I guess? Santa Company looks like a slice-of-life wrapped around Japan's secular obsession with Christmas, they probably didn't need Kickstarter for that. Then there's Under the Dog, which feels like it was rejected from the standard production process because it's a generic action movie, so they decided to sell it to Americans because we can't get enough of that sort of thing. Still waiting for some actually-intriguing idea to pop up on there...

...Even so, I'd much prefer people donate money to some cyberpunk anime thing than that stupid exploding cat card game that's made like 3 million bucks in the past 2 days...
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
ReddiShadow wrote:
Because if there's one thing we know from watching current anime, it's that there are absolutely no dark and violent sci-fi shows. At all.

There's been sort of a lull in the "dark violent cyberpunk Blade Runneresque thing" lately; the only ones I can think of are Psycho-Pass and Mardock Scramble. But that's the problem; this isn't anything original, it's a throwback to the Ghost in the Shell era. And a pretty formulaic-sounding one, at that.

These Kickstarter anime have been kinda disappointing so far. Kick-heart... was that actually any good? It kinda looks like one of those Animator Expo things, with a dose of over-the-top weirdness. A good proof-of-concept, I guess? Santa Company looks like a slice-of-life wrapped around Japan's secular obsession with Christmas, they probably didn't need Kickstarter for that. Then there's Under the Dog, which feels like it was rejected from the standard production process because it's a generic action movie, so they decided to sell it to Americans because we can't get enough of that sort of thing. Still waiting for some actually-intriguing idea to pop up on there...

...Even so, I'd much prefer people donate money to some cyberpunk anime thing than that stupid exploding cat card game that's made like 3 million bucks in the past 2 days...

Honestly, would probably consider Little Witch Academia 2 to be the most interesting (and will probably end up being the best) of any animation KS thus far. Of course I'm biased in that I really liked the first episode, but it's also very well put together, if not original in content.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The big selling point was "we're making something with complete creative control and we don't answer to multiple corporations with their own interests". Exactly what type of show they were making was an irrelevant, distant second concern.

People completely overreacted to "#letssaveanime".

CIA backing out, and the wording from Yura, makes me think Ando and Ishii were/are a little reserved about what actually goes into these Kickstarters, and their backer prizes. I don't really have any concerns about the actual product.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
The big selling point was "we're making something with complete creative control and we don't answer to multiple corporations with their own interests". Exactly what type of show they were making was an irrelevant, distant second concern.

People completely overreacted to "#letssaveanime".

I agree 100%. This was never about restoring the medium, but offering a new way to creatively control its content without a dozen corporate hands digging into the content and tearing chunks off for their own personal gain.

#letssaveanime = #stupid is definitely accurate. The whole premise is totally off-putting. As a backer, I thought that whole spin was grossly mishandled, and to be honest, actually perpetuated by CIA and their creative team rather than the project as a whole.

We'll see what happens. I am grateful for something, at least, after almost four months of radio silence and over three quarters of a million dollars hanging somewhere in limbo. As long as Ando-san is still attached, it will keep most of my worries in check, and here's hoping from better production management from this point forward.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sure what "free from corporate hands" means. How is that automatically a good or bad thing? Chances are if you're into anime you love tons of anime that were dripping in corporate decisions already. Any big shounen, any late night series, those are all already made by a production committee. One of the more infamous and cliche example of giving someone more creative control is George Lucas with the Star Wars prequels so it's not always a good thing. It just seems like a selling gimmick to me.

-Stuart Smith
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure it was about some anime Jesus complex when the guy's posts were all about saving the industry and turning things around. The line about creative freedom to make some generic highschoolgirlzwiffgunz was just the biggest load of bull ever.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Honestly, would probably consider Little Witch Academia 2 to be the most interesting (and will probably end up being the best) of any animation KS thus far. Of course I'm biased in that I really liked the first episode, but it's also very well put together, if not original in content.

Oh, right, I forgot there was a kickstarter for that. Not sure if I'd count it, since it's a sequel, but it's at least very likely to be something good that hasn't been done a million times.

The anime industry... actually, let's just call it anime... does need to move away from primarily making stuff for the otaku echo-chamber, but I'm worried the internet may just encourage them to make stuff for the homogenized Americanized action movie market instead, which is even worse. Maybe there just isn't a way around Sturgeon's Law, but I can hope.
BuddRoyce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Hi!

Budd Royce here. Community Manager for Creative Intelligence Arts Project Phoenix. Very Happy While I wasn't really part of the Under The Dog project, I've been the point of contact for the UTD backers who also backed Project Phoenix. With the whole press release thing that just happened, I figured I'd also help shed some light here(and yes I'm also a UTD backer. I'm actually backer #1 )

Now, I don't know exactly what went on between Hiro and the guys at Kinema Citrus but I can say that there was never a point where Hiro thought he was in over his head and just wanted to quit. Whatever it was that led Hiro and CIA to leaving the UTD project, I can assure you it wasn't something that happened just overnight and whatever that was done, it was done with the best interest of the backers in mind so we can expect to see more updates on UTD.

More importantly, I also wanted to assure everyone that this change isn't so much the project sailing into dark clouds but more like the project having gone through some turbulent dark clouds and that it should be clear sailing from here.

As sad as it is for me to no longer be (somewhat) connected to the UTD project, I do believe that Kinema Citrus is set to deliver the anime that all the backers were hoping for. (myself included)

Cheers,

Budd
Community Manager for Project Phoenix
Creative Intelligence Arts
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the input.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
BuddRoyce wrote:
-snip-

Very insightful, thank you.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
@BuddRoyce thanks for the clarification as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2