• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Kimi ni Todoke, 2011 Dororon Enma-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Now Dororon is a surprise coming from them. Don't think a lot of people would want their premium set for this series, but then again, I'm often mistaken.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
egoist: No one wanted to pay a premium for the more marketable Enma-kun from Bandai Visual, so this one might have an even harder fight.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Dororon Enma-kun...isn't that the show with dozens of remakes because it was so popular? Looks like it is packed with tons of comedy.

Can't tell if trolling, or just mistaken...
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time until someone picked up KnT. It'd be too much of a shame not to own a series like that. I'll be day-one preordering it.
Fifth B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd totally forgotten about Kimi ni Todoke. I remember hearing about it when it first came out and thinking that it sounded like something I'd enjoy, but it kind of fell off my radar. Nice to see I'll be able to buy it now!
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching some of Kimi ni Todoke but not being too into it. I loved the openings and endings, though.

Enma is a pretty surprising license but I've heard it's completely hilarious, and I'd like to show my support for licensing this sort of thing, so I'll be sure to pick it up with some nice NISA goodies. Mmm-mm good.

DmonHiro wrote:
Give me a Bluray for Enma, and I'll buy it 100%.

Considering they've apparently switched over to the blu-ray/DVD combo release format with both Katanagatari and Arakawa, it's probably a safe bet that they'll be releasing it in the same way. But considering that they're waiting until the next AX to give more info, I honestly can't be sure. What's up with the long wait?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Dororon Enma-kun...isn't that the show with dozens of remakes because it was so popular? Looks like it is packed with tons of comedy.

Can't tell if trolling, or just mistaken...

Dozens was an embellishment, not trolling. And I was not thinking about Doreamon or limiting myself to anime. When the season first started I remeber looking up info on a bunch of series and Dororon stood out because of the number of manga/anime remakes that were mentioned on the wiki page. ANN just does not have any of the Dororon Enma manga listed yet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Enma-kun, eh? That's certainly a possible purchase. Although, I must ask: From the 3 episodes I watched, it seems like the fansub group was using very liberal translations, or is the show actually that vulgar? If they were using loose translations, I may not enjoy it as much if NISA uses the real ones.

I know the translator, and he likes being more liberal and embellishing the subs he works on. I doubt NISA has that creativity or will. So, go with what you will. Or, buy the show but rewatch the fansubs.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay...don't they mean THIS year's Anime Expo? That HAS to be a typo!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Enma-kun, eh? That's certainly a possible purchase. Although, I must ask: From the 3 episodes I watched, it seems like the fansub group was using very liberal translations, or is the show actually that vulgar? If they were using loose translations, I may not enjoy it as much if NISA uses the real ones.

I know the translator, and he likes being more liberal and embellishing the subs he works on. I doubt NISA has that creativity or will. So, go with what you will. Or, buy the show but rewatch the fansubs.

Alright, thanks for answer. Since most everything else they own has been available for Premium Purchase here on ANN, I think I'll just buy those when they're put up and keep the fansubs - they're quite hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! I absolutely love Kimi ni Todoke, so I'll be buying this for sure!

odd that they picked Enma-kun too, but, whatever NIS, I wish you luck!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
I'm glad that KnT got licensed, I just hope that they are not released in those jumbo boxes like Toradora! was. My shelves can't hold that.

I have to admit that I like the packaging a lot. But I keep my DVDs on bookshelves so they fit just fine. I understand why they'd be frustrating for people who (gasp) store their DVDs on DVD shelves.

It's funny - I never connected Enma-kun with Go Nagi! Now I totally see it. I'm one of the few people who liked Kikoushi Enma so I'm interested in its source - Dororon Enma-kun. I haven't seen any of the fan subs.

It will be interesting to see if Kimi ni Todoke will do well in the states as it is a shojo title.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Was the group that did the fansubs called CoalGuys? If it was that would explain it, they seem to be a bit more liberal with their translations with am emphasis on more.

No, gg is the only group doing it. I know CoalGuys have a reputation of doing that, but I don't know if gg does. People on MAL say they did, but I don't really trust those people that much, especially when a couple of the negative comments are them just saying "gg", implying that they don't like the subs simply because of who they are.

gg is known for their troll subs. Not saying they use troll subs every time, but they do it enough to where if you want a faithful translation, you look to another group. If you like being trolled, then gg's for you.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Enma-kun is not really worth buying but who knows about Kimi ni Todoke
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I am thrilled that Kimi ni Todoke is getting the NISA treatment. Substantially less thrilled with Dororon Enma-kun having watched a chunk of the first eppie and been underwhelmed, but I'm prepared to trust NISA's instincts and give it a second shot. I made a vow to buy each one of NISA's premium releases, so I'm kinda obligated and stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5