• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Animator in Japan Offers His Take on the Industry's Wages and Work Environment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
As of today (March 9, 2015), the Japanese yen is 121 to the US dollar.
Which means 120 yen is around 98 cents.
http://www.dollars2yen.com/
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Overworked and underpaid, and yet the anime industry (production committees, and CEOs) makes a lot of money and paid the animator so little.

I've always wondered where people get that idea. Are there any sorts of charts or reports that confirm this? I often wonder if the low wages might be more indicative of a niche industry with an overflowing wealth of talent. The most I've ever seen as far as a salary breakdown is this chart for Shirobako, which seems to suggest a lot of the money can go exorbitantly towards top quality voice-acting talent.

Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
the only way I can see animator's wages going up is when live action movies become impractically expensive and everyone switches over to animation...

that and people's mindset of animation is only for kids is wiped out...
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Overworked and underpaid, and yet the anime industry (production committees, and CEOs) makes a lot of money and paid the animator so little.

I've always wondered where people get that idea. Are there any sorts of charts or reports that confirm this?

I would like to know this too but unfortunately, we know so little about how the industry worked despite some good articles from ANN. But even ANN can't get real document explaining how much each sector that make up the anime industry make.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
The anime industry needs massive employee reforms, like I said before a reduced amount of anime is a small price to pay for a livable wage, an 8-9 hour, 5 day work week and vacation time. You can't forget that he and every other worker are humans and not robots and the reaper is always watching them waiting for an opening from long hours.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Make no mistake about it: the problem of people in the anime industry being grossly underpaid is serious and needs addressing. My enjoyment of the fantastic shows they've made would not have been possible if it weren't for the animators that have put them together with their hard labor.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
a reduced amount of anime is a small price to pay for a livable wage, an 8-9 hour, 5 day work week and vacation time

Less anime means less money, so how do you figure this would lead to higher pay and greater benefits as opposed to simply having exactly the same problems but on a smaller scale? One would expect it to actually get much worse as there would be less work for studios to compete over, creating even more pressure to drive down costs.

Last edited by Parse Error on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Besides, aren't anime extremely expensive in Japan? If that money isn't going to animators, where is it going?
To the member of the production committee looking to make money off of discs. Though the discs aren't everything, not every show needs them, and many need more than just the discs to be a success. I recommend reading this FAQ. http://www.someanithing.com/sales-faqguide

Also a reminder here for anyone wondering why anime is so expensive in Japan...
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

One big part of the problem here for how animators are paid is how anime doesn't exactly make a lot of money usually. Plenty of times they can't afford to pay the animators well, as again, anime doesn't make a lot of money, it's still a niche thing.

Some studios can pay animators well though because they're able to, such as Kyoto Animation, who happens to also have a lot of freedom (They're able to make whatever they want as they can afford to).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Time to flood Justin's email!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The anime industry needs massive employee reforms, like I said before a reduced amount of anime is a small price to pay for a livable wage, an 8-9 hour, 5 day work week and vacation time. You can't forget that he and every other worker are humans and not robots and the reaper is always watching them waiting for an opening from long hours.

Reduced amount of anime would mean the lack of animation jobs, and animators standing in the unemployment line, if Japan even has such a thing. Sort of what Sequestration has done to us, over here.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I think I saw in an ANN forum post months back that Ghibli also has better treatment of their animators.
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
This is rather shocking. Though, I hear that Studio Ghibli treats their staff rather well. This makes me ask: is it the same in every studio? Someone said Kyoto Animation also allows food freedom. Yet, various others don't seem to. Is there some line between in this somewhere? I want to really understand the discussion further.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Also a reminder here for anyone wondering why anime is so expensive in Japan...
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

Well selling anime is going to be much harder thanks to the tax hike. I've explained it on another thread. Now with Japan's next tax hike in 2017 how are the anime industry going to gain profit since their most loyal fanbase can't afford to buy more then 2 copies. I've read it that Japan's retail sales declines because of the tax hike, and I have to assume anime DVDs/blu-rays sales may (or could) suffer.

you also wrote:
One big part of the problem here for how animators are paid is how anime doesn't exactly make a lot of money usually. Plenty of times they can't afford to pay the animators well, as again, anime doesn't make a lot of money, it's still a niche thing.

I wondered why the Japanese govt (specifically the ministry of Economy) said that anime industry lost a lot of money due to piracy despite anime being a niche thing and doesn't make a lot of money.

ANN wrote:
The Cultural Affairs Agency estimates a loss of 560 billion (about US$5.5 billion) yen to Chinese piracy in major cities in 2012. The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013.

$19.6 billion dollars, that's a lot of money for a niche item, and people are wondering how did the anime industry get that kind of profit. Rolling Eyes
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
At this point I think I actively want the entire industry to crash, just because of how vile its operating practices have become. Not that being unemployed is exactly an improvement over actual wage slavery, but at least it might wake some people the hell up as to what's going on.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Situation seems to be very dependent on individual studio, managers
Update from Henry himself:
https://twitter.com/henry_thurlow/status/575023400436899840
Quote:
Just to be clear everyone, Nakamura-pro and Pierrot are completely different. Pierrot supports my Visa and is professional in every way.

https://twitter.com/henry_thurlow/status/575023462290321409
Quote:
(So I never meant to bash Pierrot. I love that I get to work there. Nakamura-pro on the other hand ..... Nah, they can go F themselves.)

And yes, I agree the conditions (described at Nakamura-pro) are terrible. But it also appears that there are many choices available. As I pointed out in the other thread with Aya Suzuki's interview, there are lots of jobs available since the demand is very high. Think about the tons of anime produced and the fact that they are always short on people and time, leading to inevitable mistakes during broadcast later corrected on BD, and enough to even publicly ask for help sometimes (Attack on Titan, Wake Up Girls)

But skilled competition is also very high and budgets are very low. Most people are willing to work in crappy conditions just to get their foot in the door, hence the reason why it persists. Some studios treats newbies' first job as more like a full time internship than a real job. Nonetheless they are never stuck there are always opportunities available, from low-rung crappy to high end liveable wages, even to not-so-skilled animators. Part of it is also time and cut decision management if you are paid by frames or cuts. That's my take from Aya's interview.

Other responses:
https://twitter.com/cindy560a/status/574893873715015681
Quote:
My side of story. I'm SAF American working as animator for Studio Pierrot, earning helluva lot more than $100/mnth, never been hospitalized.

https://twitter.com/eddmsli/status/574905852710162434
Quote:
@cindy560a same as you, worked almost 10 years with tough period but never less than 1k$/month ^^;

who is eddmsli
Quote:
French animator in Japan since 2004 (MacrossF,Casshern Sins,Minefujiko to iu onna,Conan movie n series,Space Dandy,One piece sp...) founder of Yapiko-animation

As above, there are other foreign animators working in or for Japan too like Bahi JD (who got into the industry in his late teens), Thomas Romain and Scott MacDonald (British guy, bg art director for Dog Days 3)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6