• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Hosoda's The Boy and the Beast Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I can't wait for this one. Hosoda-san has become one of my favorite directors. Thanks, Funi. Give us a great dub, please.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The movie will be released by FUNimation’s new launched theatrical events and distribution branch based in New York.

“We’re excited to bring ‘The Boy and the Beast’ to audiences across the United States,” said FUNimation CEO and founder Gen Fukunaga. “Mamoru Hosoda is a masterful director and has made Japanese animated film accessible to everyone.”

The toon is being talked about as a potential 216 Oscar contender.

“We are looking forward to working with Gaumont Intl. and plan to release ‘The Boy and the Beast’ to theaters beginning in late 2015,” said Mike DuBoise, FUNimation’s exec VP and COO. “We’re confident that critics and moviegoers will quickly agree that this is an Oscar-worthy film.”

Gaumont’s deputy head of sales Yohann Comte, who negotiated the deal, said Gaumont had received offers from other distributors but “chose to work with FUNimation because the company has been faithful to Hosoda’s work since the beginning, and they also have the ambition and commitment to screen the film to the widest possible audience.”

Seems they're gonna do everything to campaign for it to make it for next year's Oscars.

And since it seems to have whimsical animal sidekicks in it, it may have a chance! Very Happy
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Regrettably, I have yet to actually watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I really would like to, but I'm actually waiting for there to be a re-release so I can actually afford it. You'd think Funimation would be all over that one, maybe a license has to expire or something.

Same here. Even though it was dubbed in Canada, I am hopeful that Sentai or Funimation can somehow get the rights from Bandai. Or Discotek for that matter.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
connysanada wrote:
I had a feeling.

One whole feeling?! Are you sure you can handle it? Might give you indigestion. I suggest some pepto bismal or amodium for that.

heavyweather wrote:

Blood- wrote:
What's BDS?

Blu-Ray disks. BD is the common abbreviation, apperently

See I first read it as what is IBS which is not fun. That I can tell you. I've never understood why BD is the short abbreviation when BR seems to make more sense.

As for the topic at hand, while the news is not surprising it is definitely welcomed. I just hope my area for once might get one of the theatrical screenings come 2016.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2