• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Need for Seed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
It starts with a hostage situation where te solution is to violently gun down kidnappers in front of schoolchildren-- man, 80s OVAs were great!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege

When real life imitates art.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Except in real life, there wasn't going to be any 'good end'. Not much you can do against terrorists who are well armed with military grade weaponry and who learned many lessons from previous attacks.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
So the next Appleseed movie will be live-action?
Going by the evolutions of the previous movies, live-action would be next on the rung.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I always prefered Appleseed to GitS personnally, and especially after Oshii's movie made this second one terribly pretentious when Shirow wanted to do a simple cop show like the ones he watched in his youth (if you really want to know the source for that, tell me, I'll try to find it in my shelves).

That's why I've always been disappointed with the animated versions. The OVA from the 80s? Faithful in the story but amazingly boring/basic in its animation. The first movie, the one from 2004? Exactly the contrary, but with whinning/crying characters, one because her lover is now a cyborg, and the second because he has become half-man, half-machine, like if Deunan would cry to see her man become even more badass, and like if this one would regret to be an even better fighting machine –yeah, right... Don't remember a thing from the second movie from 2007, and didn't see anything from XIII either except a few seconds in a trailer IIRC, but I'd like to give a better look to it: it still is Appleseed after all.

As for the 2014 movie, it is the best adaptation of the manga on screen to me at the moment: technically irreproachable, with a great rythm based on plenty of cool actions scenes, faithful characters even if slightly more human than in the manga (kinda lost at the beginning, but who finally find a reason to keep on fighting: simple and efficient, no need to invoke heavy pathos, all the more as this often ends being simply heavy), a huge big wink to the manga with the mobile battle platforms,... That's instant win for me. Only the bad guy looked weak, for a lack of credible/original motivations, but it could have been worse.

Eager to see a sequel, if any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kabuman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I have all of Shirow Masamune's other manga, I even have one of the Intron Depot art books. By the time I went to finally invest my money in his supposed magnum opus and complete my collection I found that the current edition of Appleseed, Vol 1 is now out of print, and that sellers on Amazon and eBay are of course asking stupid prices for it. The thing that gets me though is that the other volumes are still in print... what's going on with Dark Horse? I emailed them and still haven't gotten a reply. Sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@Kabuman
If you try to buy Appleseed from Dark Horse they redirect you to "Things from another World" a comic shop they have a relationship with. I suspect that all of the volumes are out of print and the shop is selling their remaining stock. It is not unusual for people to buy volume one to check out a series and never buy the later volumes. This would explain why the first volume is out of stock.

The unflipped Third Edition of Appleseed (the ones with the big red numbers on the cover) volume one is indeed selling for stupid prices. However if you want a reading copy the earlier Dark Horse second edition is available for less than $10. The even earlier version from Eclipse Comics is apparently the first edition. Be careful buying the Eclipse edition. In addition to the graphic novel version they also sold it in five parts comic book form. These are usually labeled "Book 1 Volume 1 through 5.
Kabuman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Alan45! I knew about the older, flipped editions but I really, really wanted the unflipped volumes since I'm OCD and like having the original format whenever possible (speaking of which, when is someone gonna release GITS unflipped?). I guess I'll have to count on luck finding it in some used bookstore sometime - that's what I had to do to get some of my Adam Warren Dirty Pair GNs, which are also Dark Horse... and out of print.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I understand the OCD bit. That is why I recommended the flipped first volume as a "reading" version. Use it to get the first part until you can get the unflipped version. If you do want the whole series, I would recommend buying the available volumes. This should include the Data Book and Hypernotes. I suspect the whole thing is out of print, just not out of stock. Since Kodansha took the rights to the GITS books, it is not clear who, if anyone would be printing the next edition.

What is interesting is that when Dark Horse published the current edition of all of Shirow's works, they unflipped everything except GITS and GITS 2.0. When Kodansha reprinted them they also had them read left to right. I've never seen the Japanese version of Ghost In the Shell so I wonder about the orientation of that. Kodansha also left out the two pages omitted from Dark Horse's first edition of GITS but not from their second edition.
Kabuman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have that second edition of GITS with the two extra pages and I don't really care that other printings removed them - even Shirow said it was gratuitous - what's great about it to me compared to the other printings is the nice, thick glossy paperstock. It almost makes up for being flipped!

GITS was originally right-to-left. In Intron Depot 1 there is a sample of a couple of pages from the Japanese version. Also, Intron Depot revealed that there were pages in Dominion in color that Dark Horse chose to do b&w in their version. Urgh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2