• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Lauren Landa and Erica Mendez, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think they maybe could've just toned it down some, take away some of the flirting, and cut the hand-holding, and it would've been fine. The existing dub didn't do any of that, and then we were left with "cousins" flirting and holding hands.

But yeah it is stupid that we would have to censor something like this. My parents probably wouldn't have cared, and if I had kids I wouldn't...

I doubt my parents would have cared but out of my 3 closest friends growing up I know for a fact 2 of them had parents who would have had fits. It is very stupid something as simple and honestly innocuous as this would have to be censored. Even with as progressive as things have become on the topic of homosexuality and it's acceptance I personally still feel our society has a lot further to go to really create an atmosphere of such things being accepted. Not simply tolerated. On topic though I always thought Michiru and Haruka were one of the cutest couples in anime for many years.
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Not like they COULDN'T be a gay couple AND cousins right?
Sprinkle on some WINcest for extra flavor.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think they maybe could've just toned it down some, take away some of the flirting, and cut the hand-holding, and it would've been fine. The existing dub didn't do any of that, and then we were left with "cousins" flirting and holding hands.

They could...eradicate it through censorship possibly. But like the hand thing is is a reoccurring motif that has prolonged meaning from their first appearance in S to their last appearance in Stars. Haruka mentions that her hands are already dirty and Michiru comments that she likes her hands. They reference back to this to establish their romance quite a bit and its one of the hardest hitting parts of their spoiler[death in Stars where their hands desperately reach for one another.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KowKow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
...while haruka and michiru are the most well known homosexual couples, their wasnt the first. that was zoicite and malikite from season 1.

Kunzite, actually.
...and who is "Malikite," anyhow? Confused

Malachite was DIC's renaming of Kunzite.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Fantastic interview. I love hearing what voice actors have to say about the roles they do. Laura and Erica are amazing, and I can't wait to hear them in more roles. Hell, Erica should totally be in the next Tales game (Berseria, when the time comes later for its dub announcement). If anything, she'd be great at putting energy behind the artes in battle as well as the skits.

Great interview, they're both awesome VAs I'm looking forward to hearing them in the roles and what other roles they have coming up.

That would be cool, yeah, I think Erica would do a great job and like you said she'd probably make those quite exciting (battle stuff) and fun (skits), I'm still floored by how good her Ryuko is/was so I'm looking forward to hearing more from her.

Can't wait till we get more info on Tales of Berseria.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to talk about the rights or wrongs of homosexuality, but given the fact that the Japanese are even less tolerant of homosexuality than Americans (check any poll), how did this not stir up outrage in Japan?

Also, since Japan is mostly made up as atheists/nones, I wonder what's the reason for this lack of acceptance. Can't be religion.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
...while haruka and michiru are the most well known homosexual couples, their wasnt the first. that was zoicite and malikite from season 1.

Kunzite, actually.
...and who is "Malikite," anyhow? Confused

he was the last general for season 1 and was zoicite's lover and of course as with haruka and michiru,homo romance in the 90's would have rubbed parents the wrong way which is why they made zoicite female.

never heard of kunzite before.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I guess the word I was looking for is "subtle." The series is very subtle about Haruka and Michiru's relationship. They never hit us over the head with it, and they never outright say they're lesbians or have them kiss or anything. However, they do flirt and hold hands, so it's still there, but I don't think many 90s parents would've had a problem with it.

well it was cause they never kissed that they were able to get away with it. if they did kissed, there was no way any amount of edits would block it without ruining the whole S series. and considering that they completely abandon the entire stars series cause of the whole guys turning into girls aspect,it wouldnt have surprised me if the english version of SM ended with the DIC versions of season 1, R and the 3 movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Haruka and Michiru weren't the only openly gay characters in Sailor Moon. There was Zoisite, Kunzite, Fish Eye, and Seiya. Then again, I accepted a long time ago that this isn't a site for accuracy. Be careful what you read here, guys.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The characters are referred to as gay icons. I don't see anywhere in the interview where Zac says they are the only gay characters in the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I don't see anywhere in the interview where Zac says they are the only gay characters in the show.

There is an "only" in there, so that's what he's referring to:
Quote:
Initially introduced as “cousins” in the Cloverway dub to obscure their actual relationship, over time their status as the only two openly homosexual characters in Sailor Moon would turn them into icons.

I interpreted it as just meaning out of the major multi-season characters.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I must have missed that. They are the only openly lesbian characters (before Seiya) and that might have more to do with their icon status. Sailor Moon definitely attracted both male and female fans, but I'd argue its fandom still leans heavily female, so to have gay female characters in a show for younger audiences is going to have a lasting effect.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
^ Another way to interpret the above article quote would be that, in the Cloverway dub, Haruka and Michiru were the only lesbians. The dub never made it to the Sailorstars season and thus Seiya was never introduced. The dub voice for Fisheye was female (if I recall correctly), so Fisheye was not openly homosexual.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
Haruka and Michiru weren't the only openly gay characters in Sailor Moon. There was Zoisite, Kunzite, Fish Eye, and Seiya. Then again, I accepted a long time ago that this isn't a site for accuracy. Be careful what you read here, guys.

Yet here you are still obviously reading posts & articles and making posts yourself on such a site. Obviously just to shed light on the masses of course. We'd be lost in a sea of nothingness without such benevolence.

enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

How they thought people wouldn't notice, I'll never know... Rolling Eyes

Easy, children are ignorant and as previously stated homosexuality was a touchy subject at the time however their new relationship was arguably an even more touchy subject.

It also gives them plausible deniability if they were accused of pushing an "unhealthy" agenda.

Psycho 101 wrote:

Really? You don't think many 90's parents would have had a problem with it? Look t all the hate and ignorance that came out just with the supreme courts recent decision. And this is 20 years later when people ARE more tolerant. Back in the 90's I would be all the tea in China that a great many parents would have had a problem with it.

And Pres. Clinton signed the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

Psycho 101 wrote:

Heck, there was a stir with the ending to Legend of Korra. And that was pretty subtle IMO.

Did ya per chance get to see the Director's Cut true end? Wink

GalicianNightmare wrote:

I'm not going to talk about the rights or wrongs of homosexuality, but given the fact that the Japanese are even less tolerant of homosexuality than Americans (check any poll), how did this not stir up outrage in Japan?

Because in Japan, it's seen as mere fiction, should stay fiction, and never to cross over to reality as a fact of life. As long as it stays that way --separate-- then they don't have an issue with it.

GalicianNightmare wrote:

Also, since Japan is mostly made up as atheists/nones, I wonder what's the reason for this lack of acceptance. Can't be religion.

It's a matter of keeping the wa harmony of society and strict conformity of what's expected of you to contribute to society following what everybody else do, rather than moral values:

• A strong streak of social conservatism runs through Japan. The major opposition to homosexuality (and lesbians in particular) is not so much that it is seen as `wrong` or `sinful` - Japan is a very secular country as a general rule- and more that it is just `different`. The overwhelming assumption of my female students (and male ones to a lesser degree) is that they will marry, have children, give up work to be a 主婦 (shufu, housewife) etc, etc. Any lifestyle which shows potential deviation from that strict model is frowned upon- and no-one considers that gay people may aspire to this very model of matrimony and normalcy.

Most of the stigma is bound up with rigid conceptions of gender roles
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Having lesbianism is one thing but to have it on an American kid's show I think is pushing the boundaries. I think it is too early/unnecessary to have it on am American kid's unless the creators don't mind the opposition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3