• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Possible New Tournament.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
You sound like a public defender who speaks for clients he doesn't actually have. I'm not sure if you're insulted, or if you're trying to convince others that they should feel insulted. What's the point of accusing me of something I may, or may not, have done, other than to make me look bad?

Ok, you and I don't need to go any further since this is not going to get us to a point of civil discussion about the topic of this thread. We don't need to derail this.

Touma wrote:
I looked at the rules for the Most Improved Character Tournament which I think was the last previous tournament.
It looks to me like the rules are written to discourage "casual" voters. If that is the case then it is working. I am definitely discouraged.
Am I misunderstanding something?

Night fox wrote:
Sports wouldn't be very interesting if players didn't have to follow certain rules.

It seems to me that sports would be even less interesting if fans were required to write an essay before they could cheer for a play.

Last couple of tourneys were:
1. Most Aesthetically Daring
2. Best World-Building
3. Most Improved Character

Personally I'd like to cut down the multiple essay requirements. I don't think we actually want to exclude people since its been brought up in the past that low turnout was becoming an issue. Is there anything in the rules that stands out in particular which you find off putting to casuals? Just asking for your thoughts.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Night fox wrote:
Sports wouldn't be very interesting if players didn't have to follow certain rules.

It seems to me that sports would be even less interesting if fans were required to write an essay before they could cheer for a play.

To me it seems as if the fans in this case complain because they have to cheer for a play, even though they don't want to. So, which is better: half empty stands with fans cheering loudly, or a stadium filled with mostly quiet spectators who give the occasional cheer, or round of applause?

^I used around fifty words in those two sentences. That should suffice in providing a reasonable explanation behind a tournament vote. I don't really see how that is such a deterrent to so many players...
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
To me it seems as if the fans in this case complain because they have to cheer for a play, even though they don't want to

Why would anybody have to cheer if they do not want to?

Quote:
I don't really see how that is such a deterrent to so many players...

I was speaking as a possible voter, not as a player.

OK. It is becoming clear that I do not understand how these tournaments work.
I think that I should stop writing and just continue reading the thread and see if anything starts to make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
^
FWIW, it's been a while since I last participated in a tournament all of the way to the end. For that reason, I'm hesitant to "RSVP", as it were.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

OK. It is becoming clear that I do not understand how these tournaments work.
I think that I should stop writing and just continue reading the thread and see if anything starts to make sense.

I'll break it down for you. The first discussion in the tournaments is always what theme to use. Biggest Badass tournament, Best Couple/Duo, Most Psychotic, Best Worldbuilding, etc etc. Once we have a theme it's a straightforward process. The next part is determining the actual size of the tournament. I'll spare you the boring details of setting up the brackets for now but we do need to have a set number for the actual characters we plan to use.

We then open up the floor for nominations. All nominations have to have reasoning behind them. Doesn't have to be a long paragraph, but at least a few sentences as to why you're nominating the person, couple, show etc. People can also give a vote, or take a vote away for a particular show/character. This is important because say we decide to use a 64 character tournament, but get 80 nominations. We have to whittle down that list. So beyond nominating characters people can also give 1 vote or take away 1 vote for a character. Then at the end of the designated cut off time the top 64 would make it into the actual tournament. Then comes more boring steps to get the brackets set up based on the votes to get the initial matchups set up. Generally we do it the way professional sports do it, top seeded shows or characters (most votes) against lower seeded (fewer votes) ones with each bracket filled evenly between top seeded and lower seeded characters/shows..

Once that tedious work is done and the brackets are set up the actual tournament begins. There's a fair amount of initial prep work as you can see. Once the tournament starts it's real easy. We go from bracket to bracket (normally there are 4 of them labeled A, B, C, and D) and do the first round of matchups. So A1, B1, C1, and D1 etc etc. Then the winners of those meet up in the second round. A2, B2, C2, D2, etc. So on and so forth. Obviously as the tournament goes on the amount of matchups each round gets smaller and smaller and arguments get more heated as people push for their choice to win each matchup. Each round lasts 1 week, 7 days. During that time participants cast their votes for each matchup in that round. Each vote HAS TO have some sort of explanation behind them. That was a rule we added later on to make sure the tournament was more fair, and the arguments people provide sometimes sway other posters to one person or another in matchup. In the early rounds of each bracket the explanations don't need to be much. Just 1 or 2 sentences. During the later rounds we require more detailed explanations for votes. We also require users to put in a vote for EVERY matchup. So if there's 10 in round 1 you have to put in your choice for all 10, not just 5 or 6. This is where the debates are so crucial because what if you don't know all the characters? You can read other people's arguments and speeches for their choices and then base your vote on those. Then you can simply say "Basing vote on opinions/arguments of other users" as your reason for your vote. A lot of users have also tried out new shows they have not seen before based on the arguments for some matchups.

After the end of each round the next round begins and the votes from the previous are counted up and the winners announced. This keeps going until we have the final matchup and eventual tournament winner.

Now here's the extra part. Normally each tournament we have what we call the mini game. This is separate little tournament where people can send in a completed bracket where they predict the winners each round and each matchup. Once the tournament brackets are set up and the tournament is ready to go we give users a 1 to 2 week period to decide if they want to participate in the mini-game and get their brackets in. You get a blank pdf file with the tournament brackets in it and the matchups. You type in who you think will win each matchup from start to finish. Then you email it in. After each round the mini game participants gets points based on how many of their choices won or lost. So if there are say 10 matchups in round A1 and you got 7 right you get 7 points. If you got 8 right in B1 you get 8 more points for a total of 15 at that point. This continues until the very end.

Now each subsequent round gains you an additional point for each victory. What that means is every correct winner in the first rounds A1, B1, C1, D1 etc is worth 1 point. Each correct victory in A2, B2, C2, and D2, is worth 2 points. So on and so forth increasing 1 point each round. We started doing this to make it more fair to people. That way if you only got 3 right each initial round you still had a chance to win if those that won kept winning. We have people only have 1 or 2 characters they picked to win keep moving on but as the rounds went on they kept getting them more and more points and kept them in the matchup against the other users. What's the purpose of this extra tournament within the tournament? Generally in tournaments past 1 or 2 users have donated RightStuf or Amazon gift cards to be given to the top 3 winners.

Participation in the mini game is not required. You can still participate in the tournament if you don't do the mini game. generally only half of the voters do the mini game.

I think that covers it but if anyone has questions please feel free to ask.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Each round lasts 1 week, 7 days. During that time participants cast their votes for each matchup in that round. Each vote HAS TO have some sort of explanation behind them. That was a rule we added later on to make sure the tournament was more fair, and the arguments people provide sometimes sway other posters to one person or another in matchup.

Just a clarification. We sometimes adjusted that in early rounds depending on number of nominations and to encourage participation. In Most Improved we said:
Quote:
6. In the first round, at least one of your votes must be justified with some kind of supporting argument; in the second round, two are required. (You are encouraged to do more than that, however, as convincing arguments have proven to be a major factor in past tournaments.) Beginning with the third round, all votes must be so justified.

And in Most Aesthetically Daring it was:
Quote:
6. All of your voting choices must be justified, ADDENDUM: except in round 1, where you only must justify 2 of your votes, and round 2, where you only must justify 4 of your votes. Justification may include visual material.

Sometimes all votes needed to be justified like in Best First Episode:
Quote:
6. Because the first round Groups will be much smaller this time, all votes must be justified. (Please note that this is a major change from past tournaments.)
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
@ Psycho 101 and One-Eye,
Thank you for the detailed information.
I am still a bit confused, but I think that I understand enough to know that this is not something that I would be interested in.

The fact that anybody might consider that process to be fun is just further proof that different people like different things.
If you do have a tournament I wish you luck and hope that you enjoy it.
And I am being sincere, not sarcastic.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Discussing people and/or couples always tends to be what's more popular and easier to talk about. Discussing concepts, themes, or non-character focused topics tends to draw the lower numbers. Aesthetically Daring? Best World-Building? I started off participating in those tournaments, but eventually it became a chore and while I can appreciate such things about a series, it's not what motivates me or makes me become attached to a series. For example, I really like how the setting of Yona of the Dawn takes place in a pseudo ancient Korea - a unique setting for anime - and I like how the character names fit the setting. And while it's a part of the many reasons I like the series, it's not the main reason I'm so attached to the series. I love it most for its characters.

I am more eager to discuss characters. And I imagine that that's the case for many fans. Worst Villain. Biggest Badass. Cutest Couple. Most Moe. I think you'll get more participation from something people feel more comfortable or passionate talking about. Discussing concepts is an analysis. Discussing characters can be much easier in comparison.

Just my 2 cents.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I ran the last tournament, and while it was pretty fun, I don't really have the time right now to do another one, but if there were another one I'd probably participate.

Contrary to what seems to be the consensus here, I do prefer the conceptual types of tournaments, but I understand why others don't. I remember there being a push for a more simple tournament back when we were trying to pick the topic of the last one, but I was the only one willing to run a tournament and I was only interested if it was going to be something I found particularly interesting. So that's how the Aesthetically Daring tournament came to be.

I do think that it would have higher turnout if we did have a simpler one this time. I don't really have any ideas for what that could be at the present moment, however.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
I suppose it would be best to redo Best Duo. People like ships, so there is a good chance for high participation and it has been seven years since we had Best Duo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2