• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This article feels so bias to me. Like just the little caption on the main page was somewhat of a turn off to me, (hence i didn't read the article) but i think OPM is a pretty good show overall. Not something i would watch. I mean, it's bland to me. Not interestibg enough and it doesn't draw me in at all. I will see from here on out but it's not on my to watch list. I just hope someone agrees with me, if not, well who cares?? I just wanted to state that it's not ALL THAT.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
(hence i didn't read the article)

Then what are you doing in the response thread for that article?

Also, it's a review, not a news item. "Bias" doesn't enter into it.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I would not be surprised if the opening for one punch man gets awarded best op of the year. A good op is one that reflects the overall series and its mood, in which this one remarkablely pulled off. Smile
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
(hence i didn't read the article)

Then what are you doing in the response thread for that article?

Also, it's a review, not a news item. "Bias" doesn't enter into it.

Sorry, i read it this time. My bad. (=w=) I will be more careful next time.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Didn't read the manga but this show its freaken awesome and hilarious! A+ animation for sure!! Very Happy
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
If one punch man gets a live action (preferably done by marvel) who would the cast be and does anyone think it would be a hit?
oh no, you just opened a can of worms! Anime hyper
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
Didn't read the manga but this show its freaken awesome and hilarious! A+ animation for sure!! Very Happy
I haven't read the manga either and saw the anime first and I completely agree with you!
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Lol, the first review entry here sums up my reaction perfectly. "Surely there can't be enough material to keep this going for more than an episode or 2? *watch episode 2* No wait, there is more than enough material."
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Such an amazing start. And like everyone's said, the show is gorgeous!
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
I loved this manga ever since I read it.

Yusuke Murata's one of my favorite manga artists ever (Eyeshield 21 was beautifully illustrated and all around amazing), and a Madhouse animated adaptation plus an opening by JAM Project equal the BEST ANIME FOR THIS SEASON, BAR NONE. Anyone who disagrees is getting One-Punched.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
I prefer ONE's art to Murata's. Sue me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
So... it takes a certain type of anime fan to enjoy this show?

So following this article, I checked out the reviews for the first episode and yes, everyone's gushing over its technical merits and its humor as an afterthought and what setting? I see the animation and design throughout but don't care about quality art production for its own sake. All animation may be equally created but it's not all created equally; It's an investment with more money put into series that are hyped but in this series, I thinks it's more a diversion.

The humor seems to be in the style of "it's funny because it's in the form of a joke but it's really not". It looks silly but it's not silly.

And then there's the main character. "I can relate to the main character" as it appears in all those first episode reviews. You know, I can't. For example, there's Crabhead from the first episode and by the look of blood on him prior to meeting the first character, he's apparently on a murderous rampage.. the joke's he in his underwear, laugh!...so stopping him and the supposed rest who just appear in the City from killing everyday citizens is less "I'm jaded because I'm so powerful" character and more of a "let them die, I'll stop them if I feel like it" one. A sociopath superhero who's apathy is more a problem than the villains. With great power comes great... eh.

Oh, we're back at Evangelion style antiheroes these days? In our real world, such characters work but in their own setting, they come off a little annoying. It's not a life, it's a duty. Shut up and do it.

Also, don't quip. Don't you realize how many people just died, including the villain?

If it was just crime then this would work... it would also be The Tick. I can't even consider this show black comedy because the main character really can't reference death, either the ones he's preventing or causing.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So... it takes a certain type of anime fan to enjoy this show?

So following this article, I checked out the reviews for the first episode and yes, everyone's gushing over its technical merits and its humor as an afterthought and what setting? I see the animation and design throughout but don't care about quality art production for its own sake. All animation may be equally created but it's not all created equally; It's an investment with more money put into series that are hyped but in this series, I thinks it's more a diversion.

The humor seems to be in the style of "it's funny because it's in the form of a joke but it's really not". It looks silly but it's not silly.

And then there's the main character. "I can relate to the main character" as it appears in all those first episode reviews. You know, I can't. For example, there's Crabhead from the first episode and by the look of blood on him prior to meeting the first character, he's apparently on a murderous rampage.. the joke's he in his underwear, laugh!...so stopping him and the supposed rest who just appear in the City from killing everyday citizens is less "I'm jaded because I'm so powerful" character and more of a "let them die, I'll stop them if I feel like it" one. A sociopath superhero who's apathy is more a problem than the villains. With great power comes great... eh.

Oh, we're back at Evangelion style antiheroes these days? In our real world, such characters work but in their own setting, they come off a little annoying. It's not a life, it's a duty. Shut up and do it.

Also, don't quip. Don't you realize how many people just died, including the villain?

If it was just crime then this would work... it would also be The Tick. I can't even consider this show black comedy because the main character really can't reference death, either the ones he's preventing or causing.

First: comedy. Second: what the hell.

How do you get the conclusion that Saitama is an anti-hero or a psychopath? It's not that he doesn't care about destroying cities whole, it's that the audience NEVER cares that the hero blows the city off the map if it looks cool enough, that's the point, thus he goes "Oops".

Plus, Saitama's charm is supposed to show the daily routine of a hero, even the strongest possible, and there is another important thing that is both a joke and a plot point (becomes a running gag since then) that explains perfectly Saitama's situation.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
If only all series could be animated so well. They really took the pages of the manga and animated them in perfect form. Though for some scenes (and upcoming scenes even more so) they didn't need to do much.

spoiler[I can't wait to see the fight between Saitama and Genos!]
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Without going into spoilers, Saitama very much cares about civilians and what he does. He's just incredibly bored and wants what he signed up for. Think of it like being a fan of something, but over the years, it's not exciting you anymore and you're waiting for something to reignite your excitement and make you feel like how you did all those years ago.
I never really got the sense that Genos was a blowhard, just angsty. And you can do a lot worse than Genos angst-wise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21