• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times It Was All Just A Dream

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
For me, Battle Angel Alita. Although Cameron might be too wrapped in Avatar Confused
maoyen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
For me, Battle Angel Alita. Although Cameron might be too wrapped in Avatar Confused

Cameron's not doing Battle Angel anymore.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
kamenriderjester wrote:
There is a typo in the gate keepers entry.

That would be GetBackers. Wink
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Let's revisit this list whenever ufotable gets around to making that Fate/hollow ataraxia anime.

The writer of which has used the "it was all a dream" trick no less than 3 times. One of which (the first, in fact) was a joke making fun of the trick and pointing out it's really the only plausible way you can do completely insane things with your story and not have it fall apart completely (which was totally a setup for the 2nd time which came very shortly after). And they were all just excuses to use a bunch of weird jokes that would destroy continuity otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bobob101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I put down Monster and Guilmero because I can actually imagine him reading the source material, and as Pacific Rim has shown, he actually gets Anime/Japanese Pop Culture. I didn't even know Darren Aronofsky wanted to do a Lone Wolf and Cub movie. Though I don't know how that could be better than the Shogun Assassin movies that already exist.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, I went with Monster, although I would have gone with Battle Angel Alita if I was sure James Cameron would be directing it.

Robert Rodriguez in Talks to Direct Cameron's Live-Action Battle Angel Alita Film:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-14/robert-rodriguez-in-talks-to-direct-cameron-live-action-battle-angel-alita-film/.94220
partially

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

Cameron's not doing Battle Angel anymore.

Along with Peter Jackson not doing The Hobbit.

I doubt the project is going to get under way at this rate before Avatar 6. And Cameron was saying he would do it for so long, I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of heart.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I Kill Giants is not a manga, and it's never been an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
No one remember the last 2 episodes of 11eyes?? That was some freaky stuff i watched and that was all a dream too.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy. I hope people don't continue to spoil other "all a dream" shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
You mean, "spoiler" series 10 years (or more!) old?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Time means nothing if you've never seen the show.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
and pointing out it's really the only plausible way you can do completely insane things with your story and not have it fall apart completely

Well, I don't know what they were thinking, because that's not true at all! Also, it's already fiction, plausibility is irrelevant.

No mention of Perfect Blue on here? It throws the audience and protagonist in and out of dreams (and fiction) nigh-constantly.

Star Driver also had an interesting episode in which whenever a character attempted to leave the island the show takes place on, she would wake up in her room as if it had never happened. Definitely a very strange and unexplained plot point - "maidens can't leave the island" made sense enough, but the fact that reality seemed to turn back on itself if they tried was pretty creepy, especially the way it was presented.

Quote:
Time means nothing if you've never seen the show.

I agree. It's ridiculous to say its okay to spoil shows just because they're old, considering how impossible it is for ANY of the readers to have seen every single anime.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
I don't think "Toys in the Attic" was a dream, they're just not as sick as we were led to believe. You even see the refrigerator floating in space at the end. Also surprised Gurren Lagann 26 wasn't on this list.

If I remember correctly, before Spike went out to hunt the creature he set the Bebop's auto-pilot to take them towards the nearest star port. So maybe we can assume that the Bebop reached its destination and that the crew got treatment.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
Slightly surprised none of the uses of genjutsu or tsukiyomi (particularly the filler arc they're on now) from Naruto made it on the list.

I look forward most to the Cowboy Bebop movie only because there is the least likelihood that they can mess it up. I would love a competent, well executed Witch Hunter Robin movie, but I fear that they'll just settle on making it Firestarter with the Witch Hunter Robin name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4