• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emon Studio Produces New 'Shirogane no Guardian' Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
That's fine to be niche, if you choose to be so. But I find it odd to see doom and gloom when someone wants to aim for bigger audiences than that. Even international nicheness can still be done without sacrificing quality, and in a sense, anime already HAS achieved international nicheness. (Is "nicheness" a word?)
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Why can't a globally-targeted anime be a good anime? Even if it has never happened before, there's a first time for everything. (I'd say Naruto Shippuden at its peak was already global in viewership though, and no doubt the second season of Attack on Titan will be done with a global audience in mind.)

I'm not saying that globally targeted(keyword) anime can't be good, they just usually aren't. And Attack On Titan and Naruto weren't targeting the global audience, they just happened to get it right. That's the difference. If I recall correctly, I think there was an interview with Araki and Isayama where they commented on how surprised they were by its international success.

Quote:
I would definitely agree that whenever Japanese executives for anime talk about a global market though, they really don't understand it all that much.

This is pretty much my point. And why an executive claiming he wants to make "global" anime doesn't tend to breed confidence.

Quote:
The idea that anything that aims for the mainstream automatically makes it bad makes one come off as a hipster who likes obscure things because they're obscure and dislikes popular things because they're popular. I don't believe for a second that there is anybody here who truly dislikes everything that's ever been mainstream.

I won't speak for anyone else, but that's not where I was going at all. I love a lot of mainstream anime. Mainstream and global are NOT the same thing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Those bits of global automatically making an anime bad were not directed at you. Sorry about that.

What I was getting at, regarding Naruto and Attack on Titan, is that they remain in production after the companies had recognized their global appeal, and I am sure that current production of these series is going on with the people in charge knowing a good amount of people all over the world are enjoying it. (If they're smart, they won't change anything. If they're REALLY smart, they'll try to figure out what it is that caused these series to have global appeal and keep them in mind for future projects.)

I'm really not sure what it is that causes these executives to know so little about selling internationally, considering the non-entertainment businesses in Japan have mostly gotten it down.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

What I was getting at, regarding Naruto and Attack on Titan, is that they remain in production after the companies had recognized their global appeal, and I am sure that current production of these series is going on with the people in charge knowing a good amount of people all over the world are enjoying it. (If they're smart, they won't change anything.

YEP! Exactly what I hope for.

I worry when they start to think they really are smart enough to figure out what caused the global appeal though. Maybe instead of trying to create global anime, they should just adapt works by already popular manga/LN authors in the west.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, trying to figure out why a series has global appeal and believing you know why a series has global appeal are two completely different things.

We can't really tell which it is in this case though. (I'm leaning towards the latter.) You only truly know if something you make has global appeal when you can do it consistently.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm really not sure what it is that causes these executives to know so little about selling internationally, considering the non-entertainment businesses in Japan have mostly gotten it down.

That is a no brainer; Aotomobile, Electronics and Videogame makers in Japan have sent or hired executives to the american continent to conquer the market. They are not merely proxies that robotically follow orders (like AoA or PoC) from Japan, they change their (or produce new) products to please the local market.

But for decades the initiative to bring anime outside of japan has been external, someone on this board said some months ago that her boyfriend was working in a japanese company and there was a big push to sell products outside japan, except for animation related industries -_-;
caiooa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Dudes... have you guys noticed that "Emon is the Japanese subsidiary of the Shanghai E-kai Bunka Denpa animation studio" ? And that "Silver Gravekeeper" (银之守墓人, Yin Zhi Shoumuren) is a chinese webcomics, not a japanese comic? Do the "worldwide appeal" buzzword click now?

This is faaar from my favorite chinese comic, but i really do wish for it to suceed. There's a endless stream of chinese comics/lightnovels/webnovels that would benefit from it in the future.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
@caiooa

Thank you very much for the information. But TBT I am not so sure how I feel about gonzo doing anime out of chinese intellectual property, since we know that anything publised there must meet the approval of the communist party.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2