• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Hideo Kojima Leaves Konami, Starts New Company

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:
By this time next year Kojima will have announced he's making a "Not" Metal Gear game and or a "Not" Silent Hill(S) game, Just like every one else that done this.

That was my first thought, but how does copyright work for something like that? Could he literally make another Metal Gear game as long as he changes the title and characters?

Considering how things seem to be between them, I have a feeling Konami would claim infringement for anything that was close to Metal Gear. The company has already done things like remove his name from box art and say that the series could continue without him. If Konami has already made moves to get the public to perceive Metal Gear as a Konami rather than Kojima property, I can't imagine they would take a "Not" Metal Gear game very lightly.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Similar to Mighty No 9, I would not be surprised if Kojima uses Kickstarter to fund his (not) Metal Gear sequel.

He will not. He is not that kind of people.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This is becoming a good question finding out whether if Metal Gear games post-Kojima era will continue to fare a lot more or end up being weaksauce at its worst.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for Konami to claim that Kojima is in charge of new subdivision/company of Konami and not actually making his own company independent of Konami entirely.

"He still works here and for us."
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Whaaat?!?!? He went on a holiday, came back, and decided to leave Konami? Laughing

Not surprised to hear that he's gone out on his own. Hopefully he and his team do well.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Similar to Mighty No 9, I would not be surprised if Kojima uses Kickstarter to fund his (not) Metal Gear sequel.

They're not very comparable. Kojima is still a beloved game developer and popular among his developer peers. Inafune wasn't, which is why he had to resort to crowd funding and essentially focused on the American market now.

I wouldn't want another game like MGS. Kojima is more than MGS. He made Snatcher which was a great game. I'd love to see different stuff from him and I don't think he'll make more games like MGS. He's been saying he wanted to end MGS for two games now, but I think Konami pressured him to make more for money reasons. Or maybe Konami was going to make new MGS games anyway and Kojima stuck around so they wouldn't ruin his franchise. As much as I loved Phantom Pain, it's a pointless game plot-wise since 4 was the true end to the series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
As much as I loved Phantom Pain, it's a pointless game plot-wise since 4 was the true end to the series.

Phantom Pain was meant to both tie up some loose ends while bridging the gap between the Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid games. Incidentally neither GOTP or PP was meant to be the end of the series as opposed to featuring the final stories involving their main characters.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to wait and see if he can now make the pseudo Silent Hills game without calling it "Silent Hills."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is technically what you do. When you spend all your time at a company and make money for that company and thing go awry you start a new company.

Inafune did it. The folks at Monolith did it after Xenogears. Hideki Kojima did it and so many others. Thing is will we see new things or spiritual successors of the older stuff. Sadly I guess this is goodbye to the MGS franchise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Inafune did it.

More like tried to.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Nah, he successfully started a company, all right.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Inafune did it.

More like tried to.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Folks talking about them "Kickstarters". Whoo boy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Yeah, I guess that's true. Folks talking about them "Kickstarters". Whoo boy.

Wasn't all that long ago everybody was buying tickets to board the Inafune Express now almost everyone is trying to jump off or at least throw the conductor (Inafune himself) under it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
What happened? I'm not entirely sure of it. Is it because of the delays? (I'm used to having crowdfunded projects get delayed for years at a time.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What happened? I'm not entirely sure of it. Is it because of the delays? (I'm used to having crowdfunded projects get delayed for years at a time.)

One part delays which no one seems to get a proper read on concerning the reasons behind,and one part production on Red Ash being started up while Mighty No.9 still has yet to drop (the complaints behind doesn't make all that sense anyhow).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3