• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron & Rebecca's Anime in America 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I really need to get around to finishing Cross Ange. It's just that the first few episodes are so painful to get through . . .

Well idk a guy above said he droped it but for me as a not mecha fan i really liked this anime the one thing that really attracted me is the whole story and how interesting it was they were really stepping it up with each episode specialy how they surprise with sudden things that happen that you like dont expect. So from my point of view a anime worth watching, but ye on the end that all depends from each person taste^^
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
UBW Season 2 was disappointing for me. I don't care what the Fate fanbase says,spoiler[ Shirou's continuing to go down the path of doomed heroics was idiotic.]

Quote:
Johnny Yong Bosch for the year's most effectively creepy English performance in a certain scene as Kyoji in Sword Art Online II.

I mean no offense, but JYB might have the most convincing spoiler[rapist] voice in anime history. Perhaps playing Hollow Ichigo and Izaya has made him an expert with cringe worthy scenes.

In the end of season 1, I couldn't hate Erina or like her. It felt that her character could be intimidating and her mean-spirited critiques of Soma were justified (only so he could prove her wrong of course) but, her tsundere "romantic" moments around Soma just didn't mesh with her personality. Sure, it's meant to be comedic but, I never thought of her as a total bitch. Then again, Megumi was best girl IMO but, different strokes.

Now, Asano from Assassination Classroom...what a nasty POS he was!! The man doesn't care if the world explodes or anything; he's too busy trying to maintain the status quo over a group of middle school students to increase his profits. Classic jerk in a suit villain.

Favorite Sports Scene in a Non-Sports Anime:
Ice skating from both spoiler[Death Parade] and the Animator Expo short, Endless Night. Seriously, we need more ice skating anime. Ginban Kaleidoscope came out 10 years ago ad there hasn't been anymore until this year.

Favorite Manservice/Fanservice Scene:
Three way tie between Miia's snake shedding from Monster Musume, Ryuu and the tentacle "tickling" from CHEDC Love!, and every moment with Satoshi Isshiki from Food Wars!

Best Scene that Represents how Shipping Works:
Crowley slamming Guren into Shinya's lap from Owari no Seraph. A true golden moment. ^///^ Honorable mention to 99% of Kumiko and Reina's interactions from Sound!

@#833648: These are Theron and Rebecca's personal best and worst hence they are not supposed to represent whatever the polls dictate. It's in the opening statement:
Quote:
Here we will delve into the real nitty-gritty of what worked and what didn't in 2015, who and what Rebecca and I loved to love, loved to hate, loved to make fun of, and simply couldn't stand.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
the one thing that really attracted me is the whole story and how interesting it was they were really stepping it up with each episode specialy how they surprise with sudden things that happen that you like dont expect. So from my point of view a anime worth watching

If you enjoy this kind of story-telling, you might want to check out (if you have not already) Cross Ange's spiritual cousins: Code Geass, Guilty Crown and Valvrave the Liberator.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
#833648 wrote:

Comparing the results of ANN's 2015 mega poll to their staff picks makes me wonder why critics are so off the mark.
"[S]o off the mark?" Off of what mark, pray tell? Opinions are like a--------, everyone has one. The mark of a good critic is that that s/he is able to eloquently explain his/her rationale for his/her opinion.
Quote:

Is there some rule that writers should avoid shows that are popular with fans? Or are these kinds of articles meant to be personal and not honest summations of the years offerings.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to offer rationales for your opinions? Differences in opinions are to be valued for their underlying diversity.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
These are my picks in some various categories, based on what I saw. I started about 40 shows this year and actually finished about 20.

Best and Favorite Show of the year - Euphonium. Not even a competition between this and anything else on my list. I loved the characters, the writing, the animation, you name it.

Surprise Show of the year - Hacka Doll. Ostensibly created to promote some mobile app, I was just expecting a throwaway product tie-in series. What I got instead was the funniest pure anime comedy that I watched all year, loaded with parodies and homages to anime both classic and modern, and with stories that were often good and occasionally even touching. Like most comedies, not every episode worked, but the ones that hit were really good.

Guilty Pleasure Show of the year - KanColle. Not a very good show, but damned if I didn't enjoy it every single week.

Pet Show of the Year - Houkago no Pleiades. Not good enough to be "great" but too good to be called a "guilty pleasure," HnP was my surprise of the spring as I just found myself charmed by its simple but heartfelt story and throwback pre-Madoka magical girl vibes. It also tickled my inner astronomy buff with the girls' travels around the solar system and all of the gorgeous space-scape background art I got to enjoy.

Most Disappointing Show of the year - F/SN:UBW 2. I enjoyed the VN, UBW is my favorite route, and I loved the first half of the series. I'm still trying to figure out where it went off the rails, but angelmcazares summed it up pretty well in his post, I think.

Favorite character of the year - Megumi Kato, Saekano. The one completely normal human girl surrounded by a cast full of walking anime archetypes, Kato's refreshing regular-ness and her razor-sharp observational wit grounded Saekano as something more than just another generic harem series, and turned it from the type of show I normally wouldn't touch into something that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Duo/Group of the year - Hestia and Bell, for all the reasons Rebecca covered.

Bastard of the year - Hanabusa from Beautiful Bones. A serial killer whose M.O. is spoiler[working on his victims psychologically and driving them to suicide rather than getting his own hands dirty] is a pretty cool twist on a villain. Unlike Nick I didn't mind this show (even if it wasn't great), and I'd watch a second season just to find out more about this guy.

Fight of the year - Einhart vs. Corona, Lyrical Nanoha ViVid. ViVid as a whole wasn't up to par with the first three seasons, but the climactic fight of the season delivered in spades, a rough-and-tumble, back-and-forth affair that came right down to the wire and was legitimately suspenseful if you haven't read the manga. It's nicely animated too. This is a fight I've enjoyed re-watching several times.

Favorite OP/ED of the year - "Dream Solister," from Euphonium (OP), and "Egao ni Naru" (ED) from Koufuku Graffiti. "Egao ni Naru" and "Koko Kara, Kanata Kara" (the ED from Houkago no Pleiades) were the only two OP/ED single CDs that I actually bought this year.

Last edited by WingKing on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zepoleba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps you would be kind enough to offer rationales for your opinions? Differences in opinions are to be valued for their underlying diversity.

To be clear, my personal tastes have nothing to do with my comments. My comments were about the differences between what fans like, and what critics promote in their writing.
Just seems off the mark to me.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Zepoleba--

See, to me the purpose of the mega-poll is to highlight differences/similarities between the users and the reviewers of this site. I respectfully submit that that diversity is to be celebrated, not to be frowned upon.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ctrl + F "Death Parade" returned no results. That is, uh...impressive, I guess.

And Cross Ange was indeed garbage.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I haven't read the source material myself, but from what I've heard, they are adapting it pretty directly, so this isn't really Silver Link's fault. And it's technically not filler. Personally, I would have much preferred for them to cut a lot of it, but after the 2nd season I came to terms with what it was going to be and am sort of enjoying it, I guess..

As a reader of the source material, 2wei and 2wei Herz added plenty of filler.

Episodes 3 - 5 of 2wei Herz were pure filler, while episodes 1 - 7 of 2wei were terribly paced and dragged out. And there was absolutely no excuse for ruining the season finale of 2wei Herz as they did, which should have been a game-changing lead in to 3rei instead of an AND THEN EVERYTHING WENT BACK TO NORMAL LOLI YURI ANTICS.

Silver Link dropped the ball with 2wei and 2wei Herz harder than it did for Chaos Dragon.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Zepoleba wrote:
It often seems to me that people who write about entertainment are so disconnected from the people that watch it.
Comparing the results of ANN's 2015 mega poll to their staff picks makes me wonder why critics are so off the mark. Is there some rule that writers should avoid shows that are popular with fans? Or are these kinds of articles meant to be personal and not honest summations of the years offerings.

In what way are they "off the mark"? Let's consider the Top 10 from the Mega-Poll, in order:

One-Punch Man: Mentioned more than once by me, including in my Top 5.
Death Parade: Didn't come up at all.
Noragami Aragoto: In my Top 5.
F/SN:UBW p2: Mentioned, but not prominently. (And, frankly, just many people dislike this one as like it.)
Food Wars!: Multiple mentions by Rebecca.
Blood Blockade Battlefront: Not mentioned in this, though I did mention it in my "also considered" back in the Top 5 article.
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO: Neither of us saw any of it because it is a sequel to something we didn't watch out.
Assassination Classroom: Acknowledged for Best Character by me.
DanMachi: Probably mentioned more than any other series.
Charlotte: Didn't come up at all.

Really, the only "popular" titles (based on poll results) that we didn't acknowledge at all were Death Parade, SNAFU TOO, and Charlotte. Hence I'm not sure what you're expecting here.

And further, I would point out that the top two titles in the Mega-Poll were also the two most frequently-mentioned titles on critics' lists and most of the rest of the Top 10 were mentioned one or more times. Again, I'm not sure what you are expecting from critics if that doesn't satisfy you.

Frankly, I find it really irritating when people claim that we're "disconnected" just because we don't always gush over the absolute most popular shows. Virtually every anime reviewer I know is no less a true fan than you or anyone else; their interests may just be a little different than yours and they tend to actually care about differentiating "good" and "entertaining." (Really, is it such a blow to one's ego to admit being entertained by a show that isn't actually that good? Hell, that happens to me multiple times a season.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
the one thing that really attracted me is the whole story and how interesting it was they were really stepping it up with each episode specialy how they surprise with sudden things that happen that you like dont expect. So from my point of view a anime worth watching

If you enjoy this kind of story-telling, you might want to check out (if you have not already) Cross Ange's spiritual cousins: Code Geass, Guilty Crown and Valvrave the Liberator.

Have seen code geass and guilty crown yeh and loved them both, for Valvrave the Liberator nope i didn't see this one yet but gonna add it on the list and check it out some day gonna be perfect since there is like 1~2weeks pause now for animes^^ And thanks for the suggestion Smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Just to clear this up: we actually did some internal numbers on how much our critics' tastes lined up with our readers, according to this year's poll vs. the top 5 lists and last year's. So I don't need to speculate on this, which is handy.

Some of them are very much in line with what the public voted for, some of them ain't. There is no uniformity to it though - in general of the 8 or so folks who write reviews for us, they're comfortably all along the populism spectrum. We have more folks writing for us whose taste lines up with the "mainstream" (defined in this case as the most commonly-held opinions of our readers) than folks who don't, but it isn't an even split.

I had that concern too - that our critics were maybe "disconnected" from what was popular with the audience at large, but the numbers don't bear that out whatsoever.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
In my case, the title of the year and the surprise of the year is the same as well, Rokka. I expected a fantasy shonen show with an annoying, overpowered main character (you get that impression when the MC is described as "the strongest man in the world" in the spotlight), but turned out to be a mistery! And damn, what a thrilling show was!

Then my personal choices go like this:

Character of the year: This is a tie between Megumi Tadokoro from Food Wars and Anna-senpai from Shimoneta. Megumi grew to became one of the most endearing characters I've seen in years, and Anna, well, I expected her to be the perfect character trope of the show, but damn, after Ep 4, she became the strongest and the funniest character of 2015.

Group of the year: The Earth Defense Club from Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! These guys were a treat from beginning to end, especially the "relationship" between my beloved pink wombat and Yumoto.

Scene of the year: This is a hard one to me, because there are plenty of shows that I really liked in this year. But I think the best of the best are three: Kanbaru and Shinobu's discussion, from Owarimonogatari; the band club's final presentation, from Sound! Euphonium; and spoiler[Zuka finally gets to work at MusAni in front of Aoi], from Shirobako.

Death scene: The death of spoiler[Kaori Miyazono] from Your Lie in April. It was surreal and beautiful, nuff' said.

[EDIT: Moved spoiler tag, as otherwise no one can tell what you're tagging for. - Key]

Battle Scene of the year: This is a weird one, it could also be part of the "scene of the year": Mumen Rider vs the Deep Sea King, from One Punch Man. Not a visual spectacle like Saitama vs Boros, but this one was charged with real drama. The rain, with no background music, just the cheers from the people could be heard, and the relentless heart and sense of justice from Mumen Rider. Beautiful.

Guilty pleasure: MonMusu. Just couldn't resist the charm from its main characters, especially best girl Mia.

OP and ED of the year: BRADIO - Death Parade for OP, and Arigatou, Daisuki - The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan

Fall from grace: Gangsta. It was sad how such adaptation fell apart right at the end of the series. Hopefully it gets something to wrap up the arc the was left opened.

Needed more episodes. Charlotte, which is part of my favorite disaster of the year as well. It seems that Maeda's worst enemy is time and pacing, because what happened at the end of Charlotte was disastrous.

All in all, this was a good year to me, although it had some problems at the Spring Season, which turned out to be the worst of the year, IMO. Anyway, nice article!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
And thanks for the suggestion Smile

You are welcome.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Now, Asano from Assassination Classroom...what a nasty POS he was!! The man doesn't care if the world explodes or anything; he's too busy trying to maintain the status quo over a group of middle school students to increase his profits. Classic jerk in a suit villain.

That's pretty off the mark, but it should get covered in the second season so I'll refrain from saying more, unless asked. Just don't really know where you got the "for profit" part.

On the article itself, really, really entertaining to read! I'd been seeing quite a bit of praise for DanMachi in lots of places but also a lot of it was simply Hestia and the one fight scene, so I always figured it was a generic one trick pony in which the pony was just particularly good at his trick, but I'll have to give it a try eventually now.

I do wonder, though, Theron, are you watching Heavy Object? Because oh boy does that show/novel series have stupid names. Kamachi in general likes writing foreign names comprised of seemingly random English words thrown together. Also, I had no idea whatsoever about that Seven Deadly Sins fact, and also no idea if that ever actually adds to the series or not, but it's definitely interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6