• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 24th Power Rangers Season Is Power Rangers Ninja Steel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
"We are ninjas of the night,
We're so hot, we're out of sight,
Nin nin nin ni ni ni ni ni ni ni nin."
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
sakuramusicstar wrote:
It really depends on which season of each that you watch. Some PR shows are better than their Super Sentai counterpart and vice versa but either way both have their strengths and weaknesses that makes them good.
I've never seen a Power Rangers series anywhere near as good as the sentai version, and saying as such is like saying a 4kids dub of an anime is superior to the sub. Unless you hate the original or are going off nostalgia. I think nostalgia blinds a lot of people and Saban knows it, which is why they focus so much on Zyuranger and trying to keep the original MMPR in the forefront and the Green Ranger as some kind of god.

Just the way the writing allows for more serious and varied storylines, the music, and the effort of the original crew will elevate it above Saban. Even fans of PR admit Saban put no effort into the anniversary season. The only reason to watch PR instead of sentai is if someone is too young to watch subs, really. Or youre on a nostalgia binge
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
sakuramusicstar wrote:
It really depends on which season of each that you watch. Some PR shows are better than their Super Sentai counterpart and vice versa but either way both have their strengths and weaknesses that makes them good.
I've never seen a Power Rangers series anywhere near as good as the sentai version, and saying as such is like saying a 4kids dub of an anime is superior to the sub. Unless you hate the original or are going off nostalgia. I think nostalgia blinds a lot of people and Saban knows it, which is why they focus so much on Zyuranger and trying to keep the original MMPR in the forefront and the Green Ranger as some kind of god.

Just the way the writing allows for more serious and varied storylines, the music, and the effort of the original crew will elevate it above Saban. Even fans of PR admit Saban put no effort into the anniversary season. The only reason to watch PR instead of sentai is if someone is too young to watch subs, really. Or youre on a nostalgia binge

That opinion is highly subjective. Many people also think In Space and RPM can easily go toe to toe with their Sentai counterpart, if not surpass them. PR is often a different story and you can easily like both without hating the other.

In short, I think you're wrong.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
sakuramusicstar wrote:

While "Mystic Force," "Operation Overdrive," "Samurai," and "Megaforce" are definitely inferior to the source material, "Zeo," "In Space," "Lost Galaxy," "RPM," and "Dino Charge" all surpassed their Sentai counterpats. Hell, "Zyuranger" was considered a pretty average season in Japan, with its only memorable aspects being that it made additional Rangers a tradition and being the source for the first PR season. Not only that, when "Lost Galaxy's" Japanese dub aired, they considered it to be superior to the original Sentai. Being the source material doesn't automatically make it better, as some fans of "Fullmetal Alchemist" can vouch for.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
sakuramusicstar wrote:

Well I think you're wrong. While there some fans that are actually into it for the nostalgia factor especially by just loving the original MMPR but there's many others like me who have actually watched almost every season of both and done some compare and contrast on what make one series better than their counterpart or if they are just the same.

I have watched both as an adult and I can honestly say that there are some stand alone series that beat their counterparts no matter what you watch. Power Rangers and Super Sentai are great in their own ways so you can't go off the fact about nostalgia because you haven't seen a good one to rival the Sentai counterpart. I say actually watch a few PR series now and see what you think.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Guile wrote:
sakuramusicstar wrote:

While "Mystic Force," "Operation Overdrive," "Samurai," and "Megaforce" are definitely inferior to the source material, "Zeo," "In Space," "Lost Galaxy," "RPM," and "Dino Charge" all surpassed their Sentai counterpats. Hell, "Zyuranger" was considered a pretty average season in Japan, with its only memorable aspects being that it made additional Rangers a tradition and being the source for the first PR season. Not only that, when "Lost Galaxy's" Japanese dub aired, they considered it to be superior to the original Sentai. Being the source material doesn't automatically make it better, as some fans of "Fullmetal Alchemist" can vouch for.

Zeo is crap against Ohranger and I prefer the fun in Go-Onger than the dark thingy shit in RPM look at the design of EngineOh the goofy design proves that Saban try to hard.

And I saw Dino Charge few episode and I can tell easyly the stock footage and see the japanese writing on some decorative wall.

That's why Power Rangers is a joke for me like Dragon Ball Evolution is a Joke for Dragon Ball Razz

I cease to watch Power Rangers after RPM I was curious about Tommy Oliver fate in Dino Thunder but I grew deceive after each season then I stopped.

As for Super Sentai at first it was weird but I have watched every season I could thanks by subs. Super Sentai will always be better than their Power Rangers counter part.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
At least "Zeo" didn't nearly destroy the franchise like "Ohranger" did. Also, Saban didn't do "RPM." Disney did. I wish Sentai fanboys would make up their mind. First, they hate seasons like "ToQger" and "Go-Onger" for being too silly, and now they hate "RPM" for being dark.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
At least "Zeo" didn't nearly destroy the franchise like "Ohranger" did.

That's not necessarily true, Ohranger didn't do well in TV ratings but it did very well in toy sales which is where most of the money comes from for these shows so it wasn't a complete failure like some want to believe.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
At least "Zeo" didn't nearly destroy the franchise like "Ohranger" did. Also, Saban didn't do "RPM." Disney did. I wish Sentai fanboys would make up their mind. First, they hate seasons like "ToQger" and "Go-Onger" for being too silly, and now they hate "RPM" for being dark.

"Ohranger almost killing sentai" is one of those unfounded internet rumors that people keep spreading despite no real proof. Especially since all you have to do is look at toy sales and see it was one of the best selling series for its time. I think the rumor stems out of the fact Ohranger was heavily altered midway through production due to the 1995 Sarin Gas Attacks so people mistook it as some kind of failing on the show's part.

Likewise, the whole "Gobusters failed in toy sales" statement often over looks Gobusters still outsold other sentai series in toys, like Timeranger which IIRC is the series lowest point sales-wise, and the fact unlike Gokaiger and Kyoryuger, Gobusters didn't have a collectable gimmick like Ranger Keys and dino batteries to help boost sales. I still say the reason Saban skipped it is lack of usable footage. Too many unmasked Asians for Saban's liking, so Enter and Escape's footage is unusable unless they want to go back to the original days where they dub over Bandora. Toys don't make sense either because Saban routinely makes a bunch of American-exclusive toys that never showed up in the show, like all kinds of vehicles and armor and junk.

The simple answer to the latter is the fact not every sentai fan thinks the same way. There's plenty of subsections of sentai fans. The actual audience, the Japanese people, then the peripheral audience, us Americans. Amongst us, there's Americans who only watch sentai, those watch both Sentai and Power Rangers, and PR fans who couldn't care less about sentai. Everyone's going to have an opinion.

Personally, I find Power Rangers obsolete ever since I started watching fansubs. One big point I like as I mentioned elsewhere is the variety in premises like angels in Goseiger or space pirates in Gokaiger. This premise of Ninja Steel being yet again about earth teenagers sounds unoriginal, and I guess they're trying to downplay the ninja aspect with it being space aliens so they can't be cited for whitewashing a Japanese concept. Still surprised they thought "Jayden Shiba" was not awkward at all.

-Stuart Smith
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I still say the reason Saban skipped it is lack of usable footage. Too many unmasked Asians for Saban's liking, so Enter and Escape's footage is unusable unless they want to go back to the original days where they dub over Bandora.

In cases like that, they just have an original villain. Hell, "Kyoryuger" didn't even have a human-looking villain, and yet Saban still decided to give "Dino Charge" an original villain. Compared to "Samurai" and "Megaforce," they really tone down the use of Sentai footage.

Also, I really hate how stuck-up American Sentai fanboys are about "Power Rangers." Unless you lived in Japan when you were a kid or you knew somebody with a lot of bootleg Japanese shows, you probably wouldn't even know about "Super Sentai" if it wasn't for "Power Rangers."
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
In cases like that, they just have an original villain. Hell, "Kyoryuger" didn't even have a human-looking villain, and yet Saban still decided to give "Dino Charge" an original villain. Compared to "Samurai" and "Megaforce," they really tone down the use of Sentai footage.

Probably could have done that, though that makes quite a bit of footage unusuable. There also might be the issue of too much terrorist-like footage of buildings exploding and cities being attacked. Go-busters had a lot more of that than other series. As for why they changed Chaos, well, they probably thought a demonic-angelic Statue of Liberty might raise issues with parents. No idea on why they changed Torin, though. Toning down the use of sentai footage is nice, but so far it only applies to Dino Charge. We have no idea if they'll still do it for Ninja Steel or go back to the old ways.

Quote:
Also, I really hate how stuck-up American Sentai fanboys are about "Power Rangers." Unless you lived in Japan when you were a kid or you knew somebody with a lot of bootleg Japanese shows, you probably wouldn't even know about "Super Sentai" if it wasn't for "Power Rangers."

I might be an outlier but I didn't watch much TV as a kid. I never grew up with the 80s and 90s staple of shows like Transformers and G.I Joe. My first exposure to Japanese stuff was a girl down the street having a bunch of VHS takes her family sent over and me watching them. When other kids were watching Scooby Doo, I was watching Detective Conan.

That might be a valid point back then, not that it excuses the practic, but considering how prevalent the internet is now, it's common to find out about a show or franchise without relying on an American version or dub to introduce you. Tons of anime never air on TV these days and people still know and watch them. Doraemon, Danball Senkei, Pretty Cure, and Yokai Watch all had American fanbases before those dubs premiered... and maybe that's why there's so much anger towards them and lackluster performance in the ratings. The premise of an Americanized product is outdated and unneed these days thanks to how big the internet is and word of mouth works.

-Stuart Smith
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Toning down the use of sentai footage is nice, but so far it only applies to Dino Charge. We have no idea if they'll still do it for Ninja Steel or go back to the old ways.

Well, Judd Lynn will be the producer of "Ninja Steel" like he was with "Dino Charge," so fingers crossed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Doraemon, Danball Senkei, Pretty Cure, and Yokai Watch all had American fanbases before those dubs premiered... and maybe that's why there's so much anger towards them and lackluster performance in the ratings. The premise of an Americanized product is outdated and unneed these days thanks to how big the internet is and word of mouth works.

I believe the ratings of those would still be lackluster even if they come over uncut, unedited, unaltered, and untouched. Americans just aren't interested in too Japanese or foreign for that matter (unless it's cool like ninjas or spies). Vocal minorities in the internet don't always translate into ratings - the vast majority of households couldn't care less what's hyped in the interwebs (they hear like Netflix/Amazon stuff off mainstream media hype.)
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Quote:
I still say the reason Saban skipped it is lack of usable footage. Too many unmasked Asians for Saban's liking, so Enter and Escape's footage is unusable unless they want to go back to the original days where they dub over Bandora.

Too Bad for you I was introduce in France with these Super Sentai and other Tokusatsu Show

Chōjin Sentai Jetman
Chikyū Sentai Fiveman
Kōsoku Sentai Turboranger
Chōjū Sentai Liveman
Hikari Sentai Maskman
Chōshinsei Flashman
Chōdenshi Baioman

This for the Super Sentai I knew way before Power Rangers.

And for other Tokusatsu I happen to see The Uuchu Keiji series San Ku Kai, Jiraiya, Jaspion and others I forgot ^^

Beside a little fun fact one of our television presenter French Host of Club Dorothée and singer called Dorothée (Thus the name of the show) was cast in Chōjū Sentai Liveman, Kamen Rider Black and Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya for guest roles. Very Happy

So in the end I am more a Super Sentai fans than Power Rangers fans and am clearly desappointed on Saban deal with the adaptation by the way it's not surprising when you see how american adapted Dragon Ball.

The Equation is easy American + Japanese Adaptation = Crap
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2