• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toriyama Expresses Dissatisfaction With Dragon Ball Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
They shovel money into Precure every year. The sakuga and top crop of voice actors and sprinkled frequently inside. Though much of the main show could be considered 'on a budget' quality it never stoops down to the level of Sailor Moon Crystal of DB Super. The reason is quite simple, i'd say. Precure is an active, and profiting franchise that they can botch whole seasons with bad characters, have the lamest final boss, or whatever, and the goods still sell for the kids.

Precure is a Toei original, while the rest are based on other peoples manga.

More popular AND their own original baby = http://webmshare.com/play/447xn
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Toei just doesn't seem to care about putting any budget into their shows no matter how valuable the ip is.

Toei Animation doesn't fund their own series by themselves. They get funding from merchandisers and television networks.

PreCure looks so good because it's staff love the series. Most of the good animators who have and continue to work on PreCure regularly are not in-house Toei animators. Itaoka Nishiki is from Studio Live, Nakatani Yukiko is from Studio Guts, Fujii Shingo is freelance and I believe Ota Kazuhiro is also freelance.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I really don't think Toei is that bad a studio, honestly, but when they're working on so many projects at once I guess it's inevitable.

Well, that's not really an excuse Wink

I mean, if you don't have the resources, then you don't go on working on so many projects. That's why so many people are pissed off (and glad to see that Toriyama is included) and complain. But i don't think Toei will change his business plan : focusing on quantity over quality, earning much more money. Guess that's the path it chose to face the japanese animation crisis.
xzy123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
I really don't think Toei is that bad a studio, honestly, but when they're working on so many projects at once I guess it's inevitable.

Well, that's not really an excuse Wink

I mean, if you don't have the resources, then you don't go on working on so many projects. That's why so many people are pissed off (and glad to see that Toriyama is included) and complain. But i don't think Toei will change his business plan : focusing on quantity over quality, earning much more money. Guess that's the path it chose to face the japanese animation crisis.

toriyama is old news. you don't see someone like oda complain anime now a day
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Kanzenshuu probably has a better translation of Toriyama's quote, for those who are interested
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Even Precure has its fair share of bad art. Even during the grand finales.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Kanzenshuu probably has a better translation of Toriyama's quote, for those who are interested

You're right; thanks for pointing this out. I've changed the quote to better fit with its interpretation (although the gist is mostly the same).

I'm sorry for the mistakes.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

Na another company did the dub before them, called Harmony Gold.

but neither one finished, so the first completed dub would be by funimation.

Unless I've done my research wrong Harmony Gold never dubbed Z.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Though I have to say that Notari Matsutaro is based on a hella older and untested anime/manga than Sailor Moon, and it still had better production values than Crystal. So I think part of the reason for that is Toei has a terrible revenue-sharing deal with Kodansha and Takeuchi for SM; so they don't care as much about doing a good job.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Desa wrote:

The BGM for the original English dub of DBZ by Bruce Faulconer was legendary. This is an extremely rare case where the localized BGM is better than the original. Seriously, if you type "bruce f" into youtube the first name that comes up is Faulconer.

That music is a complete insult to the franchise, both for being replacement music and for not getting the wuxia elements. Maybe there was a couple of good tunes, but they had no place in DBZ. It is deeply disrespectful for an American licensor/dub studio to take out the original music and put in other music, anyway. I'm glad they don't normally do that sort of thing anymore.

Faulconer's score was too busy trying to emphasize a feeling of a "badass" attitude rather than the natural emotions and power of the characters and scenarios the way an orchestral score like Shunsuke Kikuchi's did. It often was placed in scenes in a way that completely rewrote the context of a scene. Or in scenes that weren't even supposed to have music in them, in some occasions.

The original music for DBZ feels mediocre (Outside of the OP/EDs and the songs based on those OP/EDs songs. Eyecatch and ep title jingles ).

I first encountered DBZ subbed and everything always felt horribly mismatched.
The music was boring,monotonous in instrumentation and arrangement with very little variety, generic ,and unfitting a lot of times.
(Like the theme of Krillin's Death by Frieza. It's almost comical in the Japanese version. Horribly unfitting. Where as in Falconer's music, it's dark and foreboding. Filled with dread.)
It wasn't very catchy, the themes weren't particularly memorable. I can't think of many I can hum off the top of my head. Where as the opposite is true with Falconer's OST..

It's honestly one of the worst soundtracks i've heard of anime of it's era.

One thing the Japanese OST does very right is knowing when to shut up and leave silence and having a pashe for making sure there was live instrumentation. (Despite how monotonous it often is)
That's one thing Falconer's music is very bad about. It needs to be American Cartoon esque with music constantly in your face and use low budget sampled sounds when not using synthesizers..

Normally i'm an advocate for leaving music alone. But DBZ is probably the only exception I make to this rule.
If more of the soundtrack had been more like tracks like "Battle Point Unlimited" it'd be inclined to say otherwise. (The supposed plagarism withstanding)

But I digress, it's not like they keep anyone from watching the show on home video with the soundtrack you prefer.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
If Toriyama is dissatisfied with the adaptations, then why does DB Super even exist?I think that if a creator isn't satisfied with how something is adapted, the anime production studio should stop making said adaptation entirely or adjust to how a creator would prefer.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:

That music is a complete insult to the franchise, both for being replacement music

I have to disagree to specifically replacement music. I understand the want and need to leave the content alone as its the original piece, however it doesn't always translate well over into another country. It falls in line with the same idea of translating jokes from Japanese to another language, sometimes the joke is either modified or entirely change for the change in audience.

Once of my more favorite re-dubbed songs was the ending to Blue Gender. Aside from how terrible the show was overall, the English rendition of the song was done well enough to fit in better than the Japanese version. The vocals were much better.

When I watched DBZ for the first time I was about 13 or so years old and the sense of "awesome" (lack of a better term) when Goku powered up or the feeling of dread when Cell or Freiza were around was amazing. The opening theme is very iconic. I watched the Japanese version not to log after that and, as it was mentioned by someone else in this thread, the music was very comical.

This is just an example of how music sometimes can't translate over to another country. If you listen to music from Japan that was popular in the mid-90s to late 90s and compare to popular songs in the United States in the same time period, you'll find major differences in lyrical style and instrumentation. Late 90s Japanese music reminds me of 80s American music honestly.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:

It wasn't very catchy, the themes weren't particularly memorable.

I pretty much feel this way about Faulconer's material it's obnoxious, seldom ever works, and worse it's repetitious.

I once said this on youtube and it rings no less true about Faulconer's material.

But "guitars,synthesizers, and incoherent vocals played virtually non-stop and irregularly doesn't make everything better".

It is nice though that the uncut dub of Kai retains Kikuchi's original score,all those years of Faulconer's score (on top of all the other issues with Funimation's dub) was hard.

SaitoHajime101 wrote:

This is just an example of how music sometimes can't translate over to another country.

Ummmmm no it's not it's example of people disagreeing over something that's not really up for debate. Plus it's funny how of all the countries that got DBZ in their native tongue only we Americans seem to be split on the music whereas everyone else is either indifferent or accepting towards the original soundtrack.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Faulconer's score was too busy trying to emphasize a feeling of a "badass" attitude rather than the natural emotions and power of the characters and scenarios the way an orchestral score like Shunsuke Kikuchi's did. It often was placed in scenes in a way that completely rewrote the context of a scene. Or in scenes that weren't even supposed to have music in them, in some occasions.

The soundtrack was a product of its time, and personally, was a smart move. DBZ was aimed at kids, and they probably would've preferred the rock guitar stuff going on. Most kids wouldn't even know what wuxia is outside of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (and maybe Kung Pow! Enter the First), and I remember when that was popular, most of the people I knew thought it was the only such movie in existence.

If you step back and look at western animated action shows aimed at kids during that era, very few of them actually made extensive use of orchestrated music, or at least symphonic stuff. Swat Kats and Road Rovers had a similar rock guitar soundtrack. Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls, and Code Lyoko relied on techno and funk. Darkwing Duck evoked styles of late 80's pop. TaleSpin used upbeat folk. Static Shockmade use of hip-hop and R&B.

The DCAU was the only franchise that used a lot of orchestrated stuff, and I am certain that was a stylistic choice, as both Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series were callbacks to earlier decades in appearance and writing style (noir and zeerust, respectively).

But basically, kids at the time weren't too interested in orchestrated stuff. That was the stuff their parents and those straight-A students listened to. While no one would truly know without a time machine and messing with the timeline, I do think DBZ would not have been as popular in North America had the original soundtrack stayed as it was. American kids do not associate action with orchestrated pieces.

xzy123 wrote:
toriyama is old news. you don't see someone like oda complain anime now a day

The fact that Oda is now providing direct input for every One Piece movie indicates there was some level of dissatisfaction he had with the earlier ones.

Oda doesn't watch much anime to begin with though. He prefers to consume western media.

Kadmos1 wrote:
If Toriyama is dissatisfied with the adaptations, then why does DB Super even exist?I think that if a creator isn't satisfied with how something is adapted, the anime production studio should stop making said adaptation entirely or adjust to how a creator would prefer.

Money, of course. If creators knew exactly how to make the stories as best as they could and was always wide-appealing, we wouldn't have such a thing as executive meddling. Executives are sometimes right.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:

This is just an example of how music sometimes can't translate over to another country.

Ummmmm no it's not it's example of people disagreeing over something that's not really up for debate. Plus it's funny how of all the countries that got DBZ in their native tongue only we Americans seem to be split on the music whereas everyone else is either indifferent or accepting towards the original soundtrack.

BadNewsBlues, there's 2 reasons why a company in the US would split on this: Licensing of the music (think Oasis and Higashi no Eden or even to a degree BECK) or localization to related to the audience its airing for (think 4kids as they were notorious for this). Heck wasn't most of the Pokemon music replacements? Correct me if I'm wrong on the Pokemon front.

What I don't understand here is why you don't think replacement music is up for debate?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3