• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Age 12 Shōjo Manga About Girl's Coming of Age Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Wow, when I saw people were going to pull out similar shows, would've thought that they'd be more recent. 20-25 years...no wonder I never heard of either of these 2 shows. Laughing

I wouldn't take pride in that. It's like saying a geography student should be proud that he/she can't correctly place California and Florida on the map. Brother Dear Brother is old, early nineties anime. But it's a classic for a reason. The characters and the story stays with you. It's not something you simply forget after having seen it. Questions about drugs, suicide, homosexual love etc... are all raised in the show. 40 episodes are more than sufficient to explore the mind of a young female teenager with all her fears and dreams. It's certainly more interesting from a drama perspective than oozing over a 12 year old first times experiences. Experience in what ? Love ? Drugs ? Homosexual attraction ? I know kids these days are precocious but c'mon lets be serious.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Um, what? It's a series about being twelve. It's a shoujo manga, written for kids that same age. Who cares if it is or isn't in the running to be the greatest drama ever written? Oniisama e... may well be a classic, but it's not really relevant here.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
I wouldn't take pride in that.

Oh, didn't realise this > Laughing indicated pride. And, no, I don't have much knowledge of American states. At least, not their locations...though I could point out Florida on the map. Thanks to The Simpsons and Homer calling it "America's Wang". Laughing

Am I all of a sudden taking pride in that Simpsons reference? Laughing

I really shouldn't be surprised at the assumptions people make online...but, sometimes, I still am surprised.

As for this series, I can't speak on it. I do find it amusing to see someone come along and dump on it, because it isn't going to be touching on the type of serious topics that Brother Dear Brother seemingly did.

I don't think that anyone, looking at the image and synopsis, would think that this would be a serious drama series. I'd say it looks like something that could be considered fluff, a cute series that may hurt your teeth.

It certainly doesn't look like something the audience for a series like Brother Dear Brother would gravitate to. I doubt that this series was made with the intention of even targeting the type of audience that is wanting a serious drama series.

enurtsol wrote:
Yeah The Wonder Years Laughing

Now that's a show I've heard of. Saw some episodes on TV when I was a kid, remember nothing of them. Really is a series I'd like to rewatch, just don't think that it is on TV or legally streaming over here...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah The Wonder Years Laughing

Now that's a show I've heard of. Saw some episodes on TV when I was a kid, remember nothing of them. Really is a series I'd like to rewatch, just don't think that it is on TV or legally streaming over here...

Hey, Blue-Green, I mean, The Wonder Years is how people got to know Fred Savage (besides with the Power Glove in The Wizard) and "Winnie Cooper" (she's Ph.D. in Math now but still does voice-acting). Laughing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/wonder-years-is-on-netflix-here-are-five-of-the-weepiest-episodes/2011/10/03/gIQAyiblIL_blog.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2