• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All Out!! Rubgy Anime to Have 25 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I look forward to seeing how they'll make the modern scrum into exciting television.

Modern scrums are a scourge on the game, no doubt about that. But if All Out!! does decide to go the so-called "fujobait" route, then I'm sure the scrums - with guys grabbing each other by the thighs, and their faces so close together their breath melds into one - will be exciting enough as it is.

-Ana- wrote:
So basically to you fujobait = bad?

Basically, yes, just as those little sister shows aimed at otaku are also bad. When a show leans on fanservice and appealing directly to the audience as a crutch rather than just telling a good story in the first place, that's a reliable indication of poor quality.

Of course there are exceptions. Free's first season wasn't too bad with a complete story arc and clear character development for most of the guys. But the second season was nothing but a blatant cash grab.

-Ana- wrote:
Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal and Diamond no Ace are great.

I couldn't get into Haikyuu!! because of how silly it was with nicknames like "King of the Court" and "Little Giant". I mean come on. Plus it wasn't that gripping or interesting, so I gave up after two episodes. Ace of Diamond's first episode was plainly terrible and I never watched any more. Yowamushi Pedal started strong but I dropped it after sixteen episodes because the quality was drastically diving.

-Ana- wrote:
Kuroko no Basket too even if it's not realistic.

You can't just put aside the biggest failing. Kuroko no Basuke was stupidly unrealistic, to a point where it broke all suspension of disbelief. Nevermind the whole "Generation of Miracles" nonsense, or the fact that most characters have magical powers that makes them better than even real-life pros.

-Ana- wrote:
Ookiku Furikabutte was amazing.

I've never watched it. And funnily enough, now that you've recommended it in the same paragraph as the above shows, I'm beginning to question whether I should bother.

-Ana- wrote:
You sure that you gave them an actual chance or did you dismiss them because they fall to the fujobait trope.

Oh, I gave them a chance. I watched all of Kuroko no Basuke's first season and eighteen episodes of the second season. I watched all of Free!'s first season and mostly liked it. As mentioned above I stuck with Yowamushi Pedal for sixteen episodes. I do give shows a chance.

-Ana- wrote:
Plus there isn't even that many "fujobait" sports shows and all of them are shounen just like almost every non-fujobait sports shows.

Actually, there are quite a few such "fujobait" shows out there and they are rapidly growing. Simple fact is, people like watching attractive members of the opposite gender, which is why seinen shows often feature all-female casts (well, maybe one token male), and many modern shounen shows are actually aimed specifically at female fans. For example, Free! may be considered shounen but everyone knows that women were the target audience. Heck, even the old shows were sometimes far more popular with girls than they were with boys; CLAMP started as a Saint Seiya BL doujinshi circle for crying out loud.

Just goes to show that Japan's demographic labels are meaningless and you shouldn't pay attention to them.
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm mildly interested in the geometrics of this. I mean the almost perfect circles and everything. Must have used the compass. I'm cool with cheer boys cheering on rubgy team and certainly prefer more anime about guys with big ass than girls with big boobs.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
On the one hand it is fantastic to see a rugby anime at long last.

Well, Madonna was technically a rugby show.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So this gets 2 cours but not Prince of Stride? C'mon Japan... I need more love for my beautiful running show.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I couldn't get into Haikyuu!! because of how silly it was with nicknames like "King of the Court" and "Little Giant". I mean come on. Plus it wasn't that gripping or interesting, so I gave up after two episodes. Ace of Diamond's first episode was plainly terrible and I never watched any more. Yowamushi Pedal started strong but I dropped it after sixteen episodes because the quality was drastically diving.

You can't just put aside the biggest failing. Kuroko no Basuke was stupidly unrealistic, to a point where it broke all suspension of disbelief.

Apparently we have fairly similar taste in sports anime. I gave up Kuroko after about 6 episodes because it was too unrealistic, Ace of the Diamond after about 10 because it was so slow developing, and Yowamushi Pedal at about the same point as you.

I'd recommend you give Haikyu!! another shot. It was really hard for me to get past the first couple of episodes but the main issue with those (the names and Kageyama's horrible personality) eases out over the next couple of episodes. The second season, especially, has been really good has some incredibly tense matches.

I would not recommend ookiku furikabutte (big windup) unless you can get past a really whiny MC. He does eventually improve but it took way too long for me.

I have some qualms about this rugby anime from the description, mostly with the MC's character, but I'm going to give it it's fair shot. I didn't watch Haikyuu for quite awhile because of similar reasons and then I got sucked in.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised to see a Rugby anime being released after Japan's spectacular effort at the World Cup; it's popularity grately rose. The poster really caught my eye, those buns! I don't think this will be a show for me, it's frustrating as I cause a double standard within myself, I'm happy to see man service but I feel it detracts from the sport eliminate Confused . I'm willing to give it a shot like Free; hopefully the intensity keeps me interested.

I was hoping that 15: Meisetsu Kougyou Koukou Rugby Bu would get a short but I'm happy to see what this brings.

Dtm - In regards to Big Windup it's a cracking sports series - all the drama is kept on the field though I can see Mihashi probably being a deterrent for you. If he doesn't annoy you or if keep with it and appreciate his growth in confidence then you'd probably really enjoy it. (Though I'm unashamedly bias towards it.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Cool a rugby anime, I'm a big fan of the sport so now this anime has been scheduled for release I'm all hyped up for this fall (2 cours as well!) and can't wait for more cast/staff/story reveals Anime hyper

Also not sure 'rugby' is spelt incorrectly like 'rubgy' in the homepage and article title but not on the synopsis so I think there's just a slight spelling error there

TsunaReborn! wrote:
I'm not surprised to see a Rugby anime being released after Japan's spectacular effort at the World Cup; it's popularity grately rose

Yeah their first match against South Africa was amazing especially with that last 80+ minute try Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
I'd recommend you give Haikyu!! another shot. It was really hard for me to get past the first couple of episodes but the main issue with those (the names and Kageyama's horrible personality) eases out over the next couple of episodes. The second season, especially, has been really good has some incredibly tense matches.

Hmm. Haikyuu!! has been getting so much love from so many corners of the anime fandom that it makes me curious as to what I'm missing. I mean, people are absolutely raving about it. So I've decided; when I have some free time I'll give it another go. At least a half-dozen episodes this time, I can't promise any more than that.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Hmm. Haikyuu!! has been getting so much love from so many corners of the anime fandom that it makes me curious as to what I'm missing. I mean, people are absolutely raving about it. So I've decided; when I have some free time I'll give it another go. At least a half-dozen episodes this time, I can't promise any more than that.

dtm42, my suggestion is for you to watch at least up until the first half of Season 1 - up to episode 13 - before deciding whether to continue.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
^
Thirteen episodes just to see if a series is great or not?

That's a lot of episodes to sit through, obviously. I could watch the entirety of Hibike! Euphonium, or Kemonozume, or the first season of Someday's Dreamers, in the same amount of time it takes to simply decide whether Haikyuu!! is something I want to continue with.

Shouldn't a legitimately good series reveal its quality to the viewer long before the first cour is over? I thought both Psychic Detective Yakumo and the first season of Log Horizon were stretching it when they took six episodes before becoming unquestionably good.

Thirteen episodes... is a long time, ya know?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 is a bad stopping point for HQ since it's the middle of a match and right before the introduction of one of the main (and imho most interesting) rivals. Episode 7 has the conclusion of that match and of Kageyama's first development arc, so it would be better to judge based on that. In my opinion the show shines from very early on, but if you want to give it half a cour to decide whether it's for you or not I'd suggest giving it a shot until ep 7 so you at least get a sort-of conclusive stopping point
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
^
See, now that's a better argument.

Episode seven it is.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
Ookiku Furikabutte is one of the better sports anime series out there ever made, your missing out if you haven't watched it especially for those stupid reason you've mention.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I'm not surprised to see a Rugby anime being released after Japan's spectacular effort at the World Cup; it's popularity grately rose

Yeah their first match against South Africa was amazing especially with that last 80+ minute try Smile

Against South Africa of all teams! It's a shame they had to play a fresh Scottland as they were still recovering from the SA game. At least they've qualified for the bext World Cup!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zwanzig

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
just watched up to episode 8. This is far better than i have expected!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2