• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: No-Rin BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
RANGIT wrote:
So there you have it, I believe when they have disclaimers like this it means they probably had plans to do those stuff, but were hindered one way or another. For Guilty Crown, I'm guessing they originally had plans to have both Euterpe (Insert Song) and Departures (ED 1) dubbed and I'm guessing the reason is because both of those songs are actually sang in character by Inori. Also, why would they even have Alexis Tipton record it? Here's her reply to someone on Twitter.
Alexis Tipton wrote:

If it was ever posted online, I sure would love to hear it, but I guess that never happened did it? A damn shame since I like her singing. She can even sing in Japanese if needed (she does it in That Anime Show EP 6 at 57:26, actual singing starts a bit later).
Posting the unused English versions online sounds like one of those big copyright/licensing no-nos that would get Funimation and/or the uploading individual in a lot of trouble. Who knows, Aniplex might refuse to let Funimation renew the license for Guilty Crown and other properties over it Twisted Evil
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
Too true! Heck, it'll probably start with the upcoming Black Butler movie. Laughing
As for the songs Alexis recorded, they were never going to be posted online. Sad
If only we could get them as part of the extras on a future home video re-release, I'd surely buy it again.
Also a little sad that NO-RIN didn't get an LE treatment, but that's where FUNi is headed it seems. Less LEs, but those that do get them, get disc arts for all releases.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
Watched a couple of eps and enjoyed it. I'll definitely be picking this up during the next Funi sale.

Gemnist wrote:
For Ringo's reason to come to the school, spoiler[Minori wrote her a letter about Kosaku, Ringo fell in love with him solely on the letter, and the rest is history; in the eighth light novel they even get hitched]. A shame the anime avoided saying that, likely in an attempt to keep to the source.

Not surprising, but I still find it sad how spoiler[the childhood friend (almost) never gets the MC as opposed to someone else].
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Posting the unused English versions online sounds like one of those big copyright/licensing no-nos that would get Funimation and/or the uploading individual in a lot of trouble. Who knows, Aniplex might refuse to let Funimation renew the license for Guilty Crown and other properties over it Twisted Evil

I'm sure it would create problems, especially when they were already told not to use it. Years ago, Vic Mignogna did an English version of "Brother" from FMA, and somebody put it online. From what I recall, Funimation was none too thrilled because they would have to explain how they had nothing to do with it, even though it involved one of their actors.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
For Ringo's reason to come to the school, spoiler[Minori wrote her a letter about Kosaku, Ringo fell in love with him solely on the letter, and the rest is history; in the eighth light novel they even get hitched]. A shame the anime avoided saying that, likely in an attempt to keep to the source.

Not surprising, but I still find it sad how spoiler[the childhood friend (almost) never gets the MC as opposed to someone else].

I agree with this spoiler[The childhood friend is always my favored character/favorite trope and they seem to always get screwed. Crying or Very sad ]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Any cucumbers? There can't be vegetable ecchi without cucumbers.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Naturally!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

There are a few references, but the main food joke is how Kosaku sends RIngo eggplant because of her hair color even though it's shaped... funny. And by the way - CUCUMBERS ARE FRUITS!
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
No-Rin is exactly how I like my raunchy comedies. It has some wonderful characters, a surprisingly great conceit and a wealth of jokes to mine for both cheap laughs and some genuinely funny moments. It reminds me a lot of B Gata H Kei, one of my favourite raunchy comedies, and that's always a good thing.

Good comparison IMO. I saw Yamada's First Time a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoyed that.

The main part where No-Rin loses points for me is due to spoiler[no couples being formed] by the end of the series. Was really hoping spoiler[for Kei x Kochou].

HeeroTX wrote:
Covnam wrote:

I agree with this spoiler[The childhood friend is always my favored character/favorite trope and they seem to always get screwed. Crying or Very sad ]

Well, that is something I also hate seeing...as I too gravitate towards them. And, that's why (even though not the best anime) I went out and added spoiler[KoiChoco] to my anime collection. Because, at least there's one win. I've always meant to find out about more series where spoiler[the childhood friend wins]...as I do want to see more of them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
. And by the way - CUCUMBERS ARE FRUITS!
Bloody-'ell! You mean all the supermarkets and garden centres have got it wrong then? I better tell their head offices.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

The main part where No-Rin loses points for me is due to spoiler[no couples being formed] by the end of the series. Was really hoping spoiler[for Kei x Kochou].

That is my absolute biggest issue with many of these romantic comedies (raunchy or not). spoiler[Make a bloody decision. Don't just leave it hanging!]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
@CaRoss

A decision would be nice. However, most of these romantic comedies are set in high school (if they aren't set in middle school). In real life such relationships are as permanent as sandcastles below the tide line. Keeping track of high school relationships is like watching a box of kittens, constant motion. And even if a relationship survives graduation having one or both go to college is going to kill it. I'm sure there are exceptions, but likely they are rare.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
^
Oh, they're more common than you might think. Both one of my cousins and one of my sisters ended up marrying high school sweethearts (although in both cases they did drift apart for a while after high school) and I know of several other cases where it's happened. It's probably nowhere near as common as it was 40-50 years ago, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
That is my absolute biggest issue with many of these romantic comedies (raunchy or not). spoiler[Make a bloody decision. Don't just leave it hanging!]

I know a lot of the time it doesn't happen because it is an adaption of an ongoing manga/LN...but it still upsets me. Laughing

As for highschool sweethearts staying together, I know of 4 of my friends that married people they were dating in highschool. Some have been married for almost 10 years now...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Someone marrying their high school sweetheart does happen. Though "drifting apart" is part of what I had in mind. My main point is that it is not the most common result. Some people go through three or four "permanent" relationships before they finally complete their schooling. The main difference between now and 50 years ago is that they often simply move in together instead of getting married.

High school kids are driven together by their ongoing physical and mental maturing. They are not real good at the give and take of maintaining a relationship. Some adults never learn. Manga and anime give the impression that in Japan they are even slower than in the US at getting together.

And, I should point out that even in real life "childhood friends" don't do well. When they do get together it usually involves a sustained separation. Even later in life, it is very hard to transition from friend to romantic interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3