• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newest Zelda Game Delayed to 2017, But Adds 'NX' Support

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

We will point out 3D World since it's NOT a console version of 3D Land. In fact, 3D World has a ton of new mechanics in it and is honestly right behind the Mario Galaxy games in terms of my favorite 3D Mario games.

The game is essentially 3D Land with better resolution, higher framerate, local co-op, and reuses most of the same powerups as 3D Land, along with copying 3D lands gimmick of having levels inspired by other Mario games.

It 's to the WiiU what New Super Bros was to both the Wii and WiiU. A cheap simple way for Nintendo to put a Mario game on a console without doing too much work.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Henshinbeetle wrote:
So what ? You dont agree that there really isnt anything to get hyped at ? Do you not agree that there is next to none information surrounding this game ? You know you may just paint over my question with your internet smartassitude (which is your good right) but even you cant deny that something has gone horribly wrong these last few years regarding the Wii-U.

Besides weasel lines ? it is a legitimate question though. Got an issue with Federation Force ? Troll! Defending Ninty till you drop - Fanboy. Where is that Goldilock zone ? Personally I'm saying we are getting really close.
You can not question the sheer lack of effort regarding the Wii-U.

Except I'm not being a smartass, I'm being serious with my words. You want to be taken seriously, then act like a level-headed adult and don't resort to cheap insults. You can yell about there being little info about Zelda until you drop from hyperventilation, but all it really shows is a lack of knowledge historically considering that's how the Zelda cycle has always been.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

We will point out 3D World since it's NOT a console version of 3D Land. In fact, 3D World has a ton of new mechanics in it and is honestly right behind the Mario Galaxy games in terms of my favorite 3D Mario games.

The game is essentially 3D Land with better resolution, higher framerate, local co-op, and reuses most of the same powerups as 3D Land, along with copying 3D lands gimmick of having levels inspired by other Mario games.

It 's to the WiiU what New Super Bros was to both the Wii and WiiU. A cheap simple way for Nintendo to put a Mario game on a console without doing too much work.

You and I must have played completely different games. They even stated in an interview that 3D World was the game where all the developers put in all the mechanics they had never got to put in a Mario game before and it shows. There are tons of gameplay twists that show up in only 1 to 3 levels each. You have new powers and abilities such as the Cat Suit, Double Cherries, Cannon Boxes, picking up Pirahna plants, and riding the Ice Skate.

There is a ton of variety to be found in 3D World. Seriously, did you play the game and how far did you get because I feel you're missing out on an excellent Mario game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
To anyone who experienced the delays for Ocarina of Time, this should be nothing.

Ambimunch wrote:
Everyone saw this coming. Now if they announce that the NX is backwards compatible, then we can safely sell our Wii U's lol.

Not when I can still play Splatoon on it! Well, if it's backwards compatible and it can keep my game save, that'sa different story. I've never sold a game system I've bought...or a game for that matter.

TheMorry wrote:
No way i would ever wave like a retard with motion controlls....

If you're waving the Wii Remote around, you're either playing it wrong or playing the wrong games.
Henshinbeetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Henshinbeetle wrote:
So what ? You dont agree that there really isnt anything to get hyped at ? Do you not agree that there is next to none information surrounding this game ? You know you may just paint over my question with your internet smartassitude (which is your good right) but even you cant deny that something has gone horribly wrong these last few years regarding the Wii-U.

Besides weasel lines ? it is a legitimate question though. Got an issue with Federation Force ? Troll! Defending Ninty till you drop - Fanboy. Where is that Goldilock zone ? Personally I'm saying we are getting really close.
You can not question the sheer lack of effort regarding the Wii-U.

Except I'm not being a smartass, I'm being serious with my words. You want to be taken seriously, then act like a level-headed adult and don't resort to cheap insults. You can yell about there being little info about Zelda until you drop from hyperventilation, but all it really shows is a lack of knowledge historically considering that's how the Zelda cycle has always been.

E3 2004 gave us the Twilight Princess trailer with Shiggy popping out on stage with the Master Sword and Hyrulian shield creating MUCH buzz. That Zelda got released Q4 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alsWeDp_z0k
This vid marked June 2010 gave us the Skyward Sword title. And by that point we also already saw the character Fi and a Swordless Link.
The game itself got released end 2011 so 15 months later.

This time however we are at ''just'' 10 months away frome the supposed release date and we still dont know the title and everything shown to us besides the original trailer was done quite lackluster.

Anyway, sure fair enough, E3 hasn't come around just yet but lets not pretend that Nintendo never revealed stuff through their directs or making a 180 - rocked our worlds these last few years with their approach on Wii-U games.
(Though well deserved shout-out to Splatoon)
The fact that the 3ds line is thriving after a rough start just makes it harder to swallow.

Regarding my personal health and trust me on this, I aint losing any sleep on this. I aint hyper ventilating. As I refered to in my first post and what you outright stated. Zelda never tosses around too much of itself and always run late. Heck, I said the same thing last time Zelda got delayed to all the people complaining because Zelda always delivers the goods in the end. And hey, we still had Xenoblade X to look forward too back then.

Now, however, this isnt just about Zelda anymore. This is about how the Wii-U user have gotten treated and the lack of games we got in the pipeline - looking forward to till this one drops. Heck even the VC is tepid compared to the Wii one.

Oh well, what can we do about it ? Guess play Splatoon so more, perhaps hunt for that Shulk amiibo.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
To anyone who experienced the delays for Ocarina of Time, this should be nothing.

Eh, I'd say the Twilight Princess release is a little more comparable, what with it being a Gamecube game that was quickly ported to the incoming system for launch. I just hope the new one does come out on the Wii U, and will cross my fingers that I don't have to wait months after the NX release like I did for TP on the Gamecube.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

You and I must have played completely different games. They even stated in an interview that 3D World was the game where all the developers put in all the mechanics they had never got to put in a Mario game before and it shows. There are tons of gameplay twists that show up in only 1 to 3 levels each. You have new powers and abilities such as the Cat Suit, Double Cherries, Cannon Boxes, picking up Pirahna plants, and riding the Ice Skate.

There is a ton of variety to be found in 3D World. Seriously, did you play the game and how far did you get because I feel you're missing out on an excellent Mario game.

I actually played through the whole entire game including the extra worlds. And while I did like it the game as a whole didn't feel all that unique to me being that it was literally
3D Land 2 and truthfully not as enjoyable as the game that inspired it.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I was totally hoping for news like this. Very Happy It saves me a few hundred dollars since it means I can totally skip buying a Wii U without missing a Zelda game. Awesome sauce.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Eh, I'd say the Twilight Princess release is a little more comparable, what with it being a Gamecube game that was quickly ported to the incoming system for launch. I just hope the new one does come out on the Wii U, and will cross my fingers that I don't have to wait months after the NX release like I did for TP on the Gamecube.

Well, what I'm referring to is the amount of time the games were delayed plus the total number of delays to the release date. If I recall correctly, Ocarina of Time[i] was originally going to be a Nintendo 64 launch title in 1996 and got moved to about halfway through the system's life in 1998. Both [i]Twilight Princess and this upcoming Zelda game both had original releases at about two-thirds through their systems' lives and would be released at the end of them.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

I actually played through the whole entire game including the extra worlds. And while I did like it the game as a whole didn't feel all that unique to me being that it was literally
3D Land 2 and truthfully not as enjoyable as the game that inspired it.

You played it alone, didn't you?
Mario 3D World is a blast in multiplayer; really, it's one of the best Mario titles ever made imho (my most favourite one still is Mario World though).

And 2D mario games are as "main" as any of the 3d ones, if not even more. I don't think there are other Nintendo consoles with as many main Mario games as the Wii U.
Wee U has few titles, but this console still is a must buy if you want to play really good games (and if you want more get a 3DS--no, really: I will ever understand some people's fixation with home consoles when handleds usually offer much more).

As for Zelda... well, I'll just patently wait as always. I'm still completing all the challenges in Tri Force Heroes anyway, have to finish playing TWW HD (I'm not interested in TP HD though), and, most importantly, have to start Majora's Mask remake for 3DS (MM is my most favourite game ever since I played it on N64 nearly two decades ago).

Soon, I'll start playing Splatoon too. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't wait to see how fantastic The Legend of Zelda will look on the NX.
Plus, let's not forget that the NX has been announced a while earlier that it would be region-free...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Mario 3D World is a blast in multiplayer; really, it's one of the best Mario titles ever made imho (my most favourite one still is Mario World though).

Multiplayer never really intrigued me tho it also doesn't help that Nintendo decided that local
co-op multiplayer should be the only way to play the game's multiplayer in the first place.

Sariachan wrote:

And 2D mario games are as "main" as any of the 3d ones, if not even more. I don't think there are other Nintendo consoles with as many main Mario games as the Wii U.
Wee U has few titles, but this console still is a must buy if you want to play really good games (and if you want more get a 3DS--no, really: I will ever understand some people's fixation with home consoles when handleds usually offer much more).

Handhelds don't generally offer more than what you can get on consoles even worse they don't tend to be good for certain type of games like FPSes, Sports Games, Musou games.

Games like that just don't work on a smaller screen or a handheld with one stick Wink

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri May 06, 2016 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Well, with me, I prioritize home consoles because it's way easier to record off of than handhelds. That, and it's easier to share the experience with onlookers, which is part of why I love Rhythm Heaven Fever so much.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
^ I'm not interested in recording while playing but I can see your point. And I agree with the second point--or better, I would say that home consoles are still better than handhelds for local multiplayer (albeit in Japan most of local multiplayer is on handhelds).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Multiplayer never really intrigued me tho it also doesn't help that Nintendo decided that local
co-op multiplayer should be the only way to play the game's multiplayer in the first place.

Sariachan wrote:

Handhelds don't generally offer more than what you can get on consoles even worse they don't tend to be good for certain type of games like FPSes, Sports Games, Musou games.

Games like that just don't work on a smaller screen or a handheld with one stick Wink

I knew you didn't play Mario World in multi. You should totally try it with at least a second person if/when you can, trust me. Wink

About handhelds, actually Nintendo ones from DS onward do offer something more than home consoles: touch controls, double screen, and, in case of 3DS, 3D (which is useful for certain types of games).
With Wii U you have touch controls and double screen in a way too, but the Gamepad is a bit too big for my tastes so I still prefer playing on DS/3DS overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

I knew you didn't play Mario World in multi. You should totally try it with at least a second person if/when you can, trust me. Wink

Once my 10 year old nephew or 8 year old cousin's platforming and co-op skills evolve to something resembling good or Nintendo makes a sequel that has online functionality I just might Razz

Sariachan wrote:

About handhelds, actually Nintendo ones from DS onward do offer something more than home consoles: touch controls, double screen, and, in case of 3DS, 3D (which is useful for certain types of games).

Yeah but those only work within the design of those devices specifically, those are things that for obvious reasons just wouldn't work on a console and most console gamers are seemingly content with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3