• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 2016/17).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
I don't really gave a shit about the CG, that was a good watch. Though, I am honestly disappointed seeing the overall feedback about this new series which is ultimately blinded by extreme negativity, even on here it is but I see some good post still which channeled positive air. People can have their opinion sure, but it would do much good if there's at least support for once for a new series (with cgi) or at the very, very least, people that mucked this series all over with tainted mud would stop watching the future episode since they hated this one so much but that's a dream come true. Now, I seen people that said how the studio that do this should burned, the anime shouldn't sell at all and all the people responsible for this to be killed, making as if this new series is breeding toxic fumes that could wiped out the globe. These sort of air is unwarranted for and just breed more hate and dispute. I guess it make good to become that person whom is easily satisfied at this kind of moment right now.

I ain't gonna read the discussion for this anime on MAL nor Reddit, that's for sure.
Dai_Setsudan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
So I've heard about Berzerk's reputation but it's one of those franchises I've yet to explore. Would this show be an OK jumping-on point for a new viewer or do I really need to go and watch the previous series and/or movies first to understand what's going on?
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Dai_Setsudan wrote:
So I've heard about Berzerk's reputation but it's one of those franchises I've yet to explore. Would this show be an OK jumping-on point for a new viewer or do I really need to go and watch the previous series and/or movies first to understand what's going on?

You need to watch the previous stuff to understand what's going on. IMO, watch both the anime series and the movies. The series is a decent adaptation but cuts out some things that'll appear later on this new anime. The movies are a crash course of the source material, but it includes the stuff the anime series cut out, so you at least won't be lost on certain things.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Just like most people, the cg really bothers me. It just looks horrible. I also didn't like the lighting and shading used. They look like lines on a person's skin as opposed to shadows. Perhaps, for many people who already read the manga, we already imagine the animation in our heads and when it falls short of that, it just looks horrendous. So yeah, dropped.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
Dai_Setsudan wrote:

Just watch the original tv series. It looks better and has better pacing than the movie trilogy.
This new series is strictly for Berserk veterans.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Dai_Setsudan wrote:

So, it's kind of like the "Where should I jump in" for Gundam or the Fate series. Do you have the patience for the proper order? If so, I'd say...

Watch the 90s TV series first, then watch the movie trilogy, then the reboot series. It's likely that you could just jump in here and things will be explained later, but if you want to understand all the easter eggs and bonuses, watch the previous anime adaptations first.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Just watch the original tv series. It looks better and has better pacing than the movie trilogy.
This new series is strictly for Berserk veterans.

That's the only reason I'm watching, because I've read the manga to points this anime won't cover.

The answer to all future questions about just jumping in: start with the 1997 series, and then read the manga from the beginning. Unlike Fate or Gundam, or quite a few other franchises, basically everything could even just be answered with "read the goddamn manga". It's not like that should be a chore either, Berserk's super detailed and fantastically compelling. You'll fly through the chapters and volumes. Besides, the OP is LITERALLY spoiling parts of the Golden Age Arc.

Like the movie trilogy, some advice I can give is get a player that allows 1.5x playback. That causes a lot of jitter and stilted movements in CG anime to smooth out a bit.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The CG animation is tolerable-but that's about the most positive word I can use to describe the animation in this series. Is it really that hard to find a competent director that can find a compromise between Miura's exceptional attention to detail and real world budgets?

And it's not like CG can't be done properly, the stuff in the first episode just comes across as incompetent.

I felt they did an otherwise okay job steering this thing to the finish line of Episode 1. However, I fear for the rest of the series-a common tactic among Japanese studios is to frontload their budget a bit on Episode 1 to get an audience hooked. Everyone understands how important first impressions are and this is the best they could come up with? I'm not optimistic, but I'll keep watching until I feel like they're damaging my perception of a beloved franchise.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Pacing felt better this episode but I'm still not really sold on the action scenes yet. Meanwhile, we got some Griffith flashbacks which surprisingly looks decent in terms of animation compared to the other parts.

I noticed that they're also keeping a lot of the scenes uncensored especially when Guts got tortured and when Farnese got kidnapped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This was a much better episode than the first, I enjoyed it. Not sure if it was rewritten or Dark Horse didn't translate it that well, but Guts's taunts against Farnese make far more sense here; he's picked up on the fact that she doesn't garner the kind of respect Azan gets, and she's throwing her weight around and overcompensating just to win their respect.

A few changes and cuts made. Unfortunately, because they've skipped sections of the story, the development of Puck and Guts's relationship is lost. Farnese being able to connect the dots between Guts and the Band of the Hawk didn't originally happen, but the movies had her appear with Serpico and Azan in a party where Hawks were present, so it's a continuation of that I guess. Though unless they change it, it'll contradict later scenes. They cut a scene that further cements Azan as being very honourable, I quite liked that scene, so it's sad to see it go. Finally, there's one another big omission about Puck, but I suppose since they cut out the arcs to fit the episode count, they didn't have a choice. Other than than, it's not bad. CG still isn't very good.

Next episode is original content not in the manga, so it should be pretty interesting to see where it goes.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2
The animation gets really ugly, but in a "so bad, its GOOD" kind of ugly at least for this viewer.

That said it is understandable when people bemoan how ugly it looks and how poor an adaptation of the work it might be.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Casca! My eyes! Thanks a lot show, now I'm snowblind. *:*

Hiroaki Iwanaga is doing a nice job as Guts though.
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I decided to create an account here in forum just to comment on Berserk's new show.
When I finished the episode I thought that I wouldn't be alone in my conclusions, after following the manga for so long, this episode must have shattered any expectation that people that read Berserk had for the series.
Technical details, like the CGI, is not the worse thing about this episode -
The heart is what I felt that was so wrong.
This episode had the chance to set the mood for what is about to unfold in berserk, but what we have is a mess - they jumbled together the appearances of all the characters that we've been waiting so long to see animated.

-Guts appears just has a easy to trigger/flimsy/a little dark action hero - with his little arms and long face that they decided to use to caracterize him in the CGI.

-The scenes with Puck are cringe worthy. His lovable and funny relief nature that balances a little the horrible scenes in the manga, in this episode were just ill timed and the way he was over-animated as a one dimensional cutesy character out of a 3rd rate mahou shoujo is beyond me.

-The camera work... what is going on with it? The shots are rushed, the camera doesn't have an emotional direction. It looks like a short film from 1st year 3D students when they learn that they can animate a camera in 3D and they just tween between shots instead of creating static shots, where they can play with the composition of the scene when they need to build it up.

- With everything that is going on in this 20min episode, you don't feel empathy for any character that you lose, nor do you care about anyone's survival.

I could go on, but I think that I'm already pleased to share a little bit of what I felt with this bad beginning of such a intricate and incredible story.

PS: I won't even start about Casca's whitewashing.
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Iwanaga's pretty good as Guts, though his "GRIFFITH!" scream needed some work. And I've no idea what's up with Casca's skin tone in this anime, it doesn't really make sense.

@Lyra_Kaze: Yeah, I don't think this adaptation's amazing so far either, though episode 2 was good, but at least it's serving its function as a promo for the manga. The magazine Berserk's serialised in's including the original chapters the anime's covering as supplementary material, and the magazine's publisher has made Berserk's digital volumes 1-14 available for free until September 30th, so they banking on viewers to read the manga to fill in some of the blanks. Episode 3's gonna be interesting since it's anime-only material.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
Whenever I start thinking that maybe this is actually decent (like during the flashback or whenever they have 2D animation) the jarringly bad CGI never fails to break the illusion. Farnese's barbie doll anatomy made bust out laughing though. C'mon, really?

I also agree with Lyra_Kaze that the heart just isn't in it. It feels like the studio was told to do the show on a minimal budget so they can advertise the manga and the upcoming game, so they are just going through the motions. Compare this with the stellar adaptation JoJo got despite the obviously limited budget in the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8