• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to sympathize with the idea that reviewers didn't like Cross Ange because it was "controversial". Can you honestly say that that scene was more controversial than the beginning of the Evangelion movie, the Utena rape scenes, any random episode of Dear Brother - all shows that are considered classics by reviewers who hated Cross Ange?

mangamuscle wrote:
Let me point towards the elephant in the room. It is no secret that other reviewers rage-quit after the controversial first episode. They can marathon the entire series (without the damned light bars), but they risk liking it (or even, just not hating it) and they have a reputation that they fear could be "tarnished".

I'm not sure how much of a danger that would be. The most negative reviews of Cross Ange I've come across (T.H.E.M.Anime, MoeSucks, etc.) have all come from reviewers who watched the entire show from start to finish.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

A question for Theron, did they ever explained how you know who could survive spoiler[his suicidal attack with plastic explosives]? I suppose they could not show it on broadcast TV or they did not managed to finish the animation in time.

That scene happens in the second half spoiler[ and I'm okay with joke explanation that the show gives in the previews, which states that Tusk is a ninja.]

I absolutely loved cross ange despite it's flaws. It has my favorite soundtrack and I love it's story. I really want them to officially release the high school AU manga, that has a chapter devoted to parodying the events that occur in each episode.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
That scene happens in the second half spoiler[ and I'm okay with joke explanation that the show gives in the previews, which states that Tusk is a ninja.]

Further explained by Mitsuo Fukuda on Twitter:

spoiler["How did Tusk and Momoka survive?…Of course during the scenario meeting we came up with multiple ideas, but ultimately, if we write it it wouldn't be interesting at all, so we just put it all in the episode preview. Tusk used the Body Replacement Technique (Kawarimi no Jutsu) and an anti-explosive cloak using a fire jutsu (Katon no Jutsu). Momoka used a frying pan and mana to slow her fall.

"Tusk knew where Ange's destination was, so he rendezvoused with Momoka who was stuck in a tree. And they came back to the island on a fishing boat…the end. The director said 'Eh? Is this really ok?', and did oppose this idea, but Higuchi-san, the producers, and I agreed on this development.

"The highlight of this episode is Ange's change of awareness and determination. We've been watching her change since episode one. So Tusk being alive is very important and how he managed to survive is not. There is no drama in that."]
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate. If they animated all that into the disc release that would be the best case scenario. If they did not because the director did not approve, well, I can live with it but it is a demerit imo.

Thanks for the info.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
oh shit this is out on bluray already? wait its been THAT long since it aired? man how time flies

wait... WHAT?
Quote:
None of that is problematic in of itself unless you're actually expecting to see nipples in the uncensored version, as this title is a surprising throwback to an era when undefined nudity (i.e. fully-exposed breasts but no nipples drawn in) was more common.

so you mean to say my waiting for the official bluray release was entirely(mostly) wasted?!?
well played Yoshiharu Ashino.

alright on a more serious note im glad that the show actually has some plot and from the review it looks like it delves into pretty dark territory which im a fan of.
I actually am pretty bummed that the fan service isnt well all-in since that was the reason i decided not to watch beyond ep1 but it wasnt the only reason so I'll manage(though i still feel betrayed somehow)
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
............Are there still people that are ill informed about the fact that cavity searches aren't rape?
Quote:
the Utena rape scenes

This never happened.

As for the review, the music should be rated lower and the tone seemed serious to me, otherwise I have no problem. My real concern is whether or not the second half's review will go into the "second half inferior to first half" meme, because it improved as it went on even the civilians should have been enslaved by chaos daemons or teleported to the Violence Jack universe to become dogs. Cool Nobody post what I'm referencing if you get that last part.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Just out of idle curiosity, what sort of reputation does ADR Director Christopher Ayres have? I ask because I've heard that ADR directors have a huge impact on the performances that that voice actors put out.....
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Just out of idle curiosity, what sort of reputation does ADR Director Christopher Ayres have? I ask because I've heard that ADR directors have a huge impact on the performances that that voice actors put out.....

Just checked, he doesn't have many credits as ADR director, just shows like Magikano, Nermia Daikon Brothers and the Xenosaga anime.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Quote:
the Utena rape scenes

This never happened.

There's a rape scene in the movie and another in episode 33. The latter shot entirely from the perspective of the rapist, which is fairly unusual in any medium.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
BSP wrote:
There's a rape scene in the movie

I've seen it, there wasn't.
Quote:
another in episode 33.

Those down votes and what's said on screen really say otherwise.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Those down votes and what's said on screen really say otherwise.

Here's ten different explanations of why this is a rape scene. It's like you aren't even watching the same show as the rest of us.

As for the movie, if you can interpret a scene where a man sells his son into prostitution, and then the son running through a field before being pinned to the ground by an older man, accompanied with a monologue where the now-teenage boy relates his experience, as anything other than a rape scene, then... well, I'm extremely curious what you thought was going on there, actually.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Cross Ange but I think there shouldn't be problems in despicting rape if it has a serious impact on the victim like the one from spoiler[Berserk].
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I haven't watched Cross Ange but I think there shouldn't be problems in despicting rape if it has a serious impact on the victim like the one from spoiler[Berserk].

issue is that A) it's framed in an exploitative manner and B) it doesn't actually impact the victim in any narratively evident way that I could see.

From what I see, next episode, she has no trauma or fear of people but is just angry
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's ten different explanations of why this is a rape scene.

>Mostly tumblr and the trope propaganda HQ
>All fans and not from an official source
If I was a juror I'd go not guilty on a count of no hard evidence.
Quote:
It's like you aren't even watching the same show as the rest of us.

I see a 13 year old female with pink hair mumbling pointlessly with exposed shoulders with a hand of a dark skinned individual grasping her left hand without signs of resistance, violence, or sadness and nothing carries over in the remaining episodes whatsoever. So yes, I did watch the same motion pictures with colored drawings released in the 90s as the rest of you.
Quote:
if you can interpret a scene where a man sells his son into prostitution, and then the son running through a field before being pinned to the ground by an older man, accompanied with a monologue where the now-teenage boy relates his experience

Could be a violent non-sexual assault, have you lived in the southern US? People can and will violently attack even children for no reason, Florida especially is home to a lot of psychotic felons. So yeah, looks like a kid was just beaten up to me.

I've said my 2 cents, I'm done here, move to PM if you want to continue.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I've said my 2 cents, I'm done here, move to PM if you want to continue.

No need; this isn't the first time we've disagreed about Utena, and I don't think there's really anything either of us could say that would sway each other. Laughing Seems like we both enjoyed watching Cross Ange enough to stick around til the end, though. At the very least, I thought the Villkiss was a gorgeous design.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6