• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toshio Suzuki: Red Turtle Makes Miyazaki Want to Return to Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koinosuke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Starting to get that feeling that Miyazaki is an attention whore when it comes to retirement. LOL.

Did you read the article? This is literally just Toshio Suzuki telling the press about an offhand comment Miyazaki made while talking to the director of the Red Turtle. Basically every single one of these articles about Miyazaki thinking about returning to movies is the same - Miyazaki thought out-loud around his friend and co-worker Toshio Suzuki, who then uses whatever Miyazaki said to drum up a little news about Ghibli, and then the press runs wild thinking with it. Miyazaki is not at all an attention whore - he's the most successful Japanese animation director of all time, bar none, and people make news out of every little thing he says.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, I love MIyazaki and would love to see at least one more film from him, but on the other hand, I feel like I would much rather see much more emphasis placed on cultivating newer talent. I mean, the whole reason Ghibli closed down to begin with was because Miyazaki was always hogging the limelight and would never let anyone else have chance to grow. Now Ghibli finally seems to be serious about supporting new talent with this Red Turtle film. It's just a shame they had to close down to get Miyazaki out of the way and they felt they had to turn outside of Japan to finally do this.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess Miyazaki is trolling people now. I can use that word right?

You can use any word you want. It doesn't mean it necessarily makes any sense.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Takahata>Miyazaki

I like his movies but he was never the best director in the industry, just the most successful. Right now Hosoda and Shinkai are experimenting part of that success themselves.

Miyazaki is a poorman Kurosawa anyway. He was mad and went to retirement because the whole industry doesn't work only for him.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
at this rate he'll never retire if he something keeps getting his attention...
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, he finally broke the record for longest time without making a movie and he decides he wants to make another movie.. Alright! I just hope this next movie I can actually see in theater's because I haven't had a local theater play a Studio Ghibli movie sense Arrietty.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay I guess my ignorance is showing on this one. I guess I've been wrong on this one because of the media always touting ONE little thing he says as being "word". That makes a whole lot of sense now.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Miyazaki wanted to come back. I guess when you step away the best inspiration often pulls you back in. And this film is one that is really grabbing him. Considering how much of a harda$$ he really is when it comes to critiquing animated films in general.
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
It's so funny to see so many comments jumping on the wagon saying that Miyazaki is coming back just because of the headline and not the information on the article.

Michael Dudok is such a great director that I cannot wait to see The Red Turtle - especially after Miyazaki complimented him!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
I knew Miyazaki couldn't stay away. I am really excited for de Wit's Red Turtle. I live in The Netherlands and it's sad to say but people here have no clue about this movie probably because it doesn't say (Pixar Animation) on it. But the Dutch never were the most culture and art seeking people ever since Rembrandt died. But I am really excited to go and see this movie tomorrow.
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
#859902 wrote:
I live in The Netherlands and it's sad to say but people here have no clue about this movie probably because it doesn't say (Pixar Animation) on it. But the Dutch never were the most culture and art seeking people ever since Rembrandt died. But I am really excited to go and see this movie tomorrow.

Did you watch his movie Father and Daughter? I really love that short and since you are from the Netherlands I think that you will really like the enviroments!

I hope that the movie gets in the theaters in whole Europe!
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Oh man! I was hoping he was gone for good. Should have seen that coming. I really don't like Miyazaki's movies.

Well aren't you a special little snowflake. Would you like a medal for your contrarianism?

Do the majority of you actually even read these articles? Miyazaki has never said he was coming out of retirement, and anything he's been working on hasn't broke that stance. i.e. He only ever said that he wasn't going to make any more feature films. Shorts and manga are fair game, which he even said he would likely still involve himself in during his retirement speech. People just report on every little side comment he makes and the media and fans go into a feeding frenzy and over-analyze everything he says. So to all the witty people who still think they were right about him not being serious about it more than three years ago: It's time to accept the reality of the situation here.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki staying retired from contributing to any anime is like Togashi serializing HxH for at least 6 months without a break: it is very unlikely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2