• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Japan's Population Declining?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Seitokai Yakuindomo is another show where an all girls school had to turn co-ed due to the birth rate.

Re:SOUL wrote:
It's a pity because Japanese women are very very beautiful and their bust size is steadily increasing. You'd think the otaku men would be all over this.

It's not that otaku men aren't interested in 3D women, it's that 3D women aren't interested in otaku men. That's why we turn to our 2D waifus who will comfort us no matter what. We wouldn't want a women that would force us give up the hobby we love either.

What you said reminds me of myself. I'm a woman and I love watching anime. I've never had a boyfriend because I'm afraid the guy I end up being attracted to won't like my hobbies. Sure, I've had guys who shared my interests, but I wasn't attracted to them. I have certain standards regarding who I like and I look at them, they look like the type of guys that don't even know what anime is or much less care about it. Sad
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And if I am absolutely wrong and say 35-40% of the anime industry in Japan is being funded by Crunchyroll, Funimation and other N.A. companies...

You are pretty close. Overseas revenue is 32% of everything. Not all from NA though, Asian countries dominate the anime export business.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So their government should be trying to entourage people to be getting married and having kids, a good way to do that would be to add many benefits to; free child care, working parents tax breaks etc. As well as creating more jobs in the childcare profession.

The Abe Government has proposed a number of policy measures designed to increase the birth rate.

Quote:
Abe wants to raise the birth rate to 1.8 per woman from 1.42 currently by loosening regulations on childcare providers and making it easier for women to return to work after their child is born.

Other proposals the government will consider are easing the tax burden for some part-time employees and making interest-free loans available for higher education.

In the long run, the only solution for Japan's population problems is to open its borders and accept more immigrants. I don't expect to see that happen any time soon.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are a number of favorite targets: a culture that makes women choose between having a family or a career. A lack of child care. A sex trade and media industry that makes it easier to live with otaku delights than to get a date. A generation of men that seem to have a diminished sex drive. It may be some of these things, it may be all of these things

Sorry but this is a bit over simplistic. The reasons are lot deeper.
The problem starts because since very young,
The most important thing for Japanese boys/girls are to be successful in life and have a carrier. Most meddle school students spend most of their time studding to be able to go to a good high-school. Than spend all their high school studding to go to a good university or vocational school.
Except the time spend in after school club activities, almost all their time is studding and even go to out of school classes and tutors and even having classes in vacation times like in summer. Looking for a relation is the least of their worries. Just to show how it is you can read this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/uloop/japans-education-disaster_b_8691650.html

Only after they have a carrier going on is when they start looking for marriage and having kids

Japanese men don't having a sex drive. Is not much about sex drive but about how Japanese man are in general. Most are the so called "herbivores". Is not like they don't like sex. The problem is that they are intimidated and bewildered by assertive young Japanese women who are nothing like the older generation woman.

And only the men? Really??
A survey by Japanese insurance company Meiji Yasuda Life found that a third of Japanese men under 40 have never dated women at all.
A survey by the Japanese Family Planning Association found that 45 per cent of women between 18 and 24 'were not interested in or despised sexual contact.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It's not that otaku men aren't interested in 3D women, it's that 3D women aren't interested in otaku men.

Nah, probably more like that the otaku aren't interested in trying to actively pursue a relationship.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So their government should be trying to entourage people to be getting married and having kids, a good way to do that would be to add many benefits to; free child care, working parents tax breaks etc. As well as creating more jobs in the childcare profession.

If it can work, then in 30 years time you could have a scenario where there are more young workers and a lot less older people.

But that would mean giving women the space and tools needed to live life as they see fit and not as dictated by social norms, and that's haaaaaaard! Laughing

But in all seriousness, I have to wonder if this isn't the end result of glorifying the "older generations" at the expense of building a foundation for the youth? Wouldn't this be an exaggeration of the whole "Baby Boomer/Millenial" problem where most of the wealth and prosperity was wasted by the previous generation and the resulting policy changes were created in their favor?

Or am I just talkin' out my elbows here?
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_fertility_rate

Around a third of countries have a sub replacement fertility rate some such as the USA and UK make up for this with high immigration rates.

Fertility rates are dropping world wide outside of Sub-Saharan Africa which is also the part of the world struggling to increase standards of living the most.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The "legally Japanese" population is declining. There is a serious population of 2nd and 3rd generation "immigrants", born in Japan but not legally Japanese, who may not be counted in these statistics. Does anyone know of any numbers about them?

A big part of the "problem" is Japanese, um, insularity in their culture; group think won't admit these folks should be legally Japanese. From what I hear, like on the Anime World Order podcast, they are ethnically identical but the society has its head in the sand about them.

Another example, I think, of Japan being out on the fringe.
Satoshi Batista

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
It's not that otaku men aren't interested in 3D women, it's that 3D women aren't interested in otaku men.

Nah, probably more like that the otaku aren't interested in trying to actively pursue a relationship.

It sounds like it might be both. I'm trying to find a link to it, but there was a news report from earlier this year where one of the analysts suggested that part of the problem could be that otaku media gives young men unrealistically idealized depictions of what having a girlfriend would be like, which leads to a lot of young women not wanting to bother with them.

I mean one of the most frequent jokes/insults I see aimed at a lot of otaku-oriented anime is that the writers have clearly never actually had girlfriends before.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The decline in the size of the school-aged population sure isn't mirrored in most anime set in high school.

I think this is because of lot of anime is set in bit cities (mostly Tokyo). Higurashi pretty much had all the kids of all ages in one classroom and that show was supposed to be set in like the 80s.

I'm sure from American TV most people from outside the US would think it all looks like New York or LA. When really a lot of the US is vast and empty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I have to imagine that the high cost of living doesn't help. If somebody is living in one of those small apartments we see in anime because it is what they can afford, it would be pretty tough to for them to believe they should go out and make babies.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
In terms of low birth rate, there has been a slight spike in Tokyo. For example, a 4/23/15 Gothamist article called "Neat Map Overlays Show How Big NYC Is Compared To Other Cities" showed that the 845 sq. mi. Tokyo had 13,185, 502 people. The Wikipedia entry for Tokyo itself said the 7/30/16 population was 13,617,445. Having 431,943 more people is about 3.28% higher.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
@Kadmos1 Birthrate? More like people from rural areas moving in. The birth rate for Tokyo I remember reading somewhere was higher than national average, but should still be negative(<2)...
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Aint really just japan lots of countries are like that, mine aswell every year more and more people that reach that age where they dont need to work anymore. The thing is back in the past families here around usualy had 5 or more kids specialy thoose living outside of the city, because as a family you had a big property and fields around so it was obvious you will have many children so that in few years they can help and take care of all that. And people basicly had everything at home from meat,milk,vegetables,fruits etc, but now you most families outside of cities mostly just have a small garden and some fruit trees while no animals because the rest we buy at stoores.
Also back in the past not every child went to school because there was no money for everyone and no such things as PCs or TV. So yeh people basicly had to adjust to the new life style which simply wont allow you to have more then 1 or 2 kids because any more then that and you would suffer because paying all thoose bills for electricity etc aint that low. And the economy as it is you never know when you can get fired so risking to have more kids can be just stressfull so its safer to just have less and you know that even if you loose the job you can survive that period until you find the next one etc...
So anyway as said the reason is mostly the life-style that we got today only few really wealthy enough people can afford to have more children but that goes for my country. Its probably better at thoose were the economy is doing well enough and the county itself can give more support for each child a family has.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Japan needs immigrants. And by immigrants, I mean immigrants not of East Asian origin. Brazilians in Japan are almost exclusively ethnic Japanese. Ethnic diversity need not be a bad thing. It isn't. In fact, it works. It's good for the economy and although Japan has some tasty food, multiculturalism would make it better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12