• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Addresses Audio Issues on Code Geass R2 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Kinda worth noting this is actually the fifth big audio screw-up FUNimation has had in the past year. This is the first one to hit the discs however.

1. Snow White with the Red Hair episode 3 was uploaded with the audio for episode 4, next week's episode.
2. Seraph of the End S2 Episode 10 was uploaded with the audio track used for dubbing, so there was no dialogue.
3. One of the Broadcast Dub episodes of Netoge had audio-syncing issues.
4. The Heroic Legend of Arslan S2 Episode 2 had audio mixing problems. The dialogue drowned in the mix.
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/752138946264633344
5. All 25 episodes of Code Geass R2's English audio being in mono.

Also if anyone wants perspective on how this issue could have happened... This doesn't excuse how they initially responded to people though.
GWOtaku wrote:
I don't understand this apparent problem with Code Geass audio. How in the world does mono even make it onto a Blu-ray?
https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/786006356536864768
Jose Argumedo wrote:
@GWOtaku Much easier than you'd think. IGPX was pretty close to having mono tracks had @ashuraou not spotted the mistake beforehand.
https://twitter.com/Jose_CNN/status/786007369490759680
Brady Hartel wrote:
@Jose_CNN @GWOtaku in that case, final cut said it was exporting stereo but kept doing mono anyway, right ?
https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/786008086368559104
Jose Argumedo wrote:
@ashuraou @GWOtaku Yeah, we had to use a work-around because FCP's settings said one thing but it exported something else.
https://twitter.com/Jose_CNN/status/786008284373323776
Brady Hartel wrote:
@Jose_CNN @GWOtaku QCing discs is a lot of work. Arcadia of my Youth might be one movie, but... At 2.5 hours...
https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/786008353122099201
Brady Hartel wrote:
@Jose_CNN @GWOtaku with four audio tracks, twice (two versions), that's 24 hours of content to check.
https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/786008806874427393

This is one of the worries with FUNi taking on so many shows now, especially more so with how they're distributing CR's releases now. There will be less time or possibly no time at all for QC. Remember when Sentai had all those very problematic BDs from 2012-2013 (here's a list from May 2013)? Part of that was only one person doing all the authoring (DLW, he no longer authors BDs, they still have only one person do them), but another was they were pushing so much out at once, there wasn't very much time for QC. Now that they're not releasing as much anymore, their quality has gone up. What I've seen from Sentai at least video-quality-wise lately has been pretty solid based on the caps I've seen from Sensuifu on Fandom Post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
So is there a reason why the CE was printed in such low quantities? It was marked as out of print soon after it released...

Considering the audio issue, I hope FUNimation decides to do some additional prints of the set. Confused
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
So is there a reason why the CE was printed in such low quantities? It was marked as out of print soon after it released...

Considering the audio issue, I hope FUNimation decides to do some additional prints of the set. Confused
FUNimation printing their usual LE numbers for a show that was probably going to sell much more than that? Code Geass is still very popular 10 years after it first aired. That's one of my only guesses. Or even if they printed a much larger number, it was just that in-demand, especially since many are also upgrading to Blu-ray, and this show is worth the upgrade. Bandai DVD vs. UK BD comparison below.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12133728#post12133728

Also this audio issue doesn't affect just the CE, it affects the standard release of S2 as well because they both use the exact same discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
They're going to need to mail in corrected discs for sure. Pretty big screw-up there.

Tbh, I'm pretty sure there's a miscommunication over what's supposed to be in the set versus the mistake in the set for the twitter pr. I had to give these tweets a second glance to fully comprehend them. Still, raises the floor for this release's profitability.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
@BigOnAnime

I think that nitpicking on Funimation for making mistakes in the titles they stream is a bit much. You are the first person I have seen complain about problems with episodes streaming. I imagine Funimation quickly fixed the uploaded episodes you mention.

I am not excusing Funimation, but mistakes in streaming episodes are way less serious than disc authoring mistakes.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
MaxGoof wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
UltScorpion wrote:
Damn I was just about to get Code Geass R2 on Blu-Ray since I've already got the first series. Should I wait?

Yeah, you should wait, I'm unsure how many copies of Code Geass R2 have this problem. Yes, I am ReViewMeMedia, and I figured sending Anime News Network this story might actaully get a response out of Funimation. It worked.

Although waiting could also come back to bite people in the butt, since the Code Geass Collector's Edition is out of print now and quickly becoming unobtainable from most retailers. Unless Funimation is going to fix the Stereo issue and then reprint the Collector's Edition with it...?

I'm waiting for them to respond to my support ticket and then I'll ask what they're going to do about my R2 discs since I have the collector's edition set.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@BigOnAnime

I think that nitpicking on Funimation for making mistakes in the titles they stream is a bit much. You are the first person I have seen complain about problems with episodes streaming. I imagine Funimation quickly fixed the uploaded episodes you mention.

I am not excusing Funimation, but mistakes in streaming episodes are way less serious than disc authoring mistakes.
They got complaints after these episodes went up. They did get replaced with fixed streams, but it still illustrates a growing problem, FUNi struggling to take on so much anime just like Sentai before them a few years ago.

Note the replies for two of these instances.
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/623166715761950720
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/675677831943364610

And don't get me started on the complaints people have had over their translation quality, especially in the case of say HaruChika. Or also the colorspace issues.
https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/687685252706254848
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I am amused that, despite the problems, they're still peddling Code Geass wallpaper ads on this site.

Yeah, though what arguably makes it funnier is that the ads talk about the collector's edition, which is already sold out at the distributor level and has sold out of some stores, so anyone who wants it is either already out of luck or has to move fast (though the normal editions are definitely still available, since they're not limited).

UltScorpion wrote:
Damn I was just about to get Code Geass R2 on Blu-Ray since I've already got the first series. Should I wait?

If you want the collector's edition, buy it as fast as you can, or you're not going to get it. If you want the normal edition, then you can certainly wait, but I would expect it to be better to buy sooner rather than later. Unless they do a recall (which I very much doubt they'll do; an exchange is the best to hope for), even if they fix the problem in future printings, these discs could be floating around for a long time, and it won't necessarily be obvious when you go to buy it whether you're getting a fixed printing or not, meaning that you could wait and still get bum discs later, and I would think that you're more likely to be able to talk them into replacing your discs now when the problem has been brought up recently and is being discussed than later after they've fixed it, have replaced the discs of folks who complained, and are supposedly selling the fixed version. It's likely that the only way to be sure that you're getting the fixed version is to buy it and exchange the discs rather than wait. Unfortunately, it does sound like there's some risk of never getting fixed discs either way though, since Funimation hasn't really said that they're replacing them, just that folks should contact them if they have a problem.

I really hope they do exchange the discs for good ones though, since this is one of my favorite series. The main reasons I bought it were for the English audio and subtitles at Blu-ray quality, because I already own the Bandai DVD release and the Japanese Blu-ray release. So, it's that much worse to me if the English Blu-ray release doesn't have good English audio. Neutral
Kyjin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I recall the original Bandai release had an issue too with one of the Season 1 discs. I got a replacement DVD for one of my discs at some point.

Code Geass is my favorite series, but I already have the CE from the original Bandai release, so I'm passing on this one. The difference in BluRay quality isn't enough to convince me to reinvest in the series.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:

And don't get me started on the complaints

not really something we have to worry about, as you have already done so in other funi related threads.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
You know, I honestly find some irony in this(for my pleasure) due to the development of R2.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess I'm going to have to wait until I can get my blu-ray copies of Code Geass and Thank God that I decided to wait. Smile
xzy123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
You know, I honestly find some irony in this(for my pleasure) due to the development of R2.

they just have to push it
idkAlan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Just wait until the Escaflowne issues are addressed, especially the ones from the Kickstarter.

I mean various Kickstarter backers are reporting that Funimation poorly packaged the collector's editions as well as forgot to add items.

I mean you guys thought that they were ignoring the Code Geass issue, you haven't seen nothing yet.

Almost all the collectors edition backers were ripped off.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
idkAlan wrote:
Just wait until the Escaflowne issues are addressed, especially the ones from the Kickstarter.

I mean various Kickstarter backers are reporting that Funimation poorly packaged the collector's editions as well as forgot to add items.

I mean you guys thought that they were ignoring the Code Geass issue, you haven't seen nothing yet.

Almost all the collectors edition backers were ripped off.

Where's the QA department, that's what I want to know. This is the first set I've gotten from them that has problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6