• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
For one thing, F-Trunks has been getting beaten within an inch of his life, several times over, and then revived by Sensu beans given to him by Mai. This should make him somewhat stronger over time. Also, F-Zamasu, though "immortal", isn't going to be increasing his fighting ability much. As far as Goku Black is concerned: as Vegeta said, he's a fake and isn't able to use Goku's body as well as the real Goku can (though whether Vegeta has actually defeated Goku Black remains to be seen).

Yes, it's a bit of an ass-pull that F-Trunks is suddenly on par (or, at least, in the ballpark of) Goku Black, but I don't think it's *that* much of one, since both him getting repeatedly beaten up and revived together with his rage/determination to protect are reasonable causes for him increasing in power, IMO.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
CR doesn't have the older episodes of SUPER?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
(though whether Vegeta has actually defeated Goku Black remains to be seen).

Well, the two Zamasu are fusing next episode so it seems like a given he can't beat Vegeta... but I could be wrong.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
CR doesn't have the older episodes of SUPER?

They were never streaming Super.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
[quote="Tuor_of_Gondolin"(though whether Vegeta has actually defeated Goku Black remains to be seen).

Well, the two Zamasu are fusing next episode so it seems like a given he can't beat Vegeta... but I could be wrong.[/quote]

One Demon. One Mafuba
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

One Demon. One Mafuba

McGuffin techniques often fail in Dragonball verse.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Any idea on when this is going to get licensed and dubbed, not to mention the Buu arc for that matter? I won't watch this series unless it's in English. And please I hope Vegito returns!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
And please I hope Vegito returns!

About that...
spoiler[It certainly seems like a decent possibility here, since 1) They've already casually undone Kibito Kai's fusion thanks to the Namekian Dragon Balls, so it seems the Potara Earrings fusion not as permanent as previously believed, and 2) With Goku Black and Zamasu fusing, the idea of resorting to fusion to counter it is obvious, and Vegeta may be less likely to object since they're using the same "cheat" to begin with (and, again, not permanent). Or maybe since this puts Bulma in immediate danger. This is of course assuming the Evil Containment Wave fails, but I could just as well imagine it succeeding, then later being undone when the super glued together urn falls apart...]
xzy123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Sam Leach wrote:
Also, I'm a big believer in shows like this being designed to draw you in from the middle. That's how I fell in love with DBZ as a kid in the first place.

I agree. If we were talking about a story driven 1 or 2 cour series, not having seen the first 3/4 of the story arc would be a big deal. However, Dragonball and other 'never ending' shounen stuff is intended to grab new viewers as it goes along. People will get bored with it, kids will out grow it, etc. These decade long series can't sustain that without new fans coming in.

I think if you've seen the movies, the rest will fall into place. Really even just BoG. They even reexplained the big secret of Goku Black being Zamasu that stole Goku's body. Yeah, there is a bunch of convoluted time stuff which I thought was interesting, but you certainly don't need all those specifics to follow the rest of the arc.

you do know goku body can't be stole right.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
64:

spoiler[I have no idea what the hell Goku Black was up to this episode. That weird rift he created with unkillable shadow clones spewing from it was a retarded way to extend the fight just so Vegeta wouldn't murk his ass by the end of the episode. It wouldn't surprise me if none if mattered by the next episode either.

And I'm guessing that anyone that can fire a ki blast at this point can use the Mafuba since Trunks learned the move after seeing it once when he had never even heard of before. Shit man, even Goku at least needed a bit of practice to get it down, yet here's Trunks doing it like an experienced Ghostbuster. I had a good chuckle at Piccolo's youtube tutorial though.

I guess that's it for Nozawa as Black since there's no merged voice between him and the other Zamasu. Good performance, dug the cocky/sinister edge she applied to her Goku voice.

Now stayed tuned for next week, where Goku and Vegeta take at least 20 minutes to realize that they can also fuse.....if we're lucky.]

And I'd have to disagree with Sam on one other thing. Dragon Ball Super is overall pretty awful. Between stretching out the two films with rather sparse and often downright bad animation and (spoilers for the Universe 6 arc)spoiler[a tournament arc with such little tension that Vegeta swept three combatants all on his own] the improvements made for the Future Trunks arc just aren't enough to make up for this (and I also think said improvements are overstated by fans anyway)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Like many fans my age, DBZ was one of my first anime. I've seen much of Z but only a few bits and pieces of GT. Is Super a possible reentry point into the franchise and is it even worthwhile? I am aware that at least in the beginning the animation is a bit...Toei to put it most diplomatically.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

spoiler[It certainly seems like a decent possibility here, since 1) They've already casually undone Kibito Kai's fusion thanks to the Namekian Dragon Balls, so it seems the Potara Earrings fusion not as permanent as previously believed, and 2) With Goku Black and Zamasu fusing, the idea of resorting to fusion to counter it is obvious, and Vegeta may be less likely to object since they're using the same "cheat" to begin with (and, again, not permanent). Or maybe since this puts Bulma in immediate danger. This is of course assuming the Evil Containment Wave fails, but I could just as well imagine it succeeding, then later being undone when the super glued together urn falls apart...]

Potara fusion is still permanent in the sense that without some unexplained retcons and the DragonBalls it can't be undone.

gedata wrote:

spoiler[And I'm guessing that anyone that can fire a ki blast at this point can use the Mafuba since Trunks learned the move after seeing it once when he had never even heard of before. Shit man, even Goku at least needed a bit of practice to get it down,]

And yet Goku didn't need to practice to master the Kamekameha. Despite it's creator needing 50 years to do the same.

gedata wrote:
And I'd have to disagree with Sam on one other thing. Dragon Ball Super is overall pretty awful. Between stretching out the two films with rather sparse and often downright bad animation and (spoilers for the Universe 6 arc)spoiler[a tournament arc with such little tension that Vegeta swept three combatants all on his own] the improvements made for the Future Trunks arc just aren't enough to make up for this (and I also think said improvements are overstated by fans anyway)

Much like the criticisms of Super's quality is overstated by the fans?

Along with people needlessly being contrarian whenever someone states their opinionated like of the series in spite of it's flaws.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
gedata

zrnzle500 wrote:
Like many fans my age, DBZ was one of my first anime. I've seen much of Z but only a few bits and pieces of GT. Is Super a possible reentry point into the franchise and is it even worthwhile? I am aware that at least in the beginning the animation is a bit...Toei to put it most diplomatically.

Well despite my above negativity, you probably should have a go at it yourself if you still consider yourself a fan. It's easy to get back on to, though I'd recommend skipping the first 27 episodes and replacing them with the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F films since they cover the same ground, but Super takes far longer and has a lot of the troublesome animation you brought up.

And you don't have to worry about seeing GT either since it's been pretty firmly established that it no longer works in the main continuity, which makes it its own thing now. If you ask me however, I still prefer GT despite it also having a slow start.

But if you haven't seen the original Dragon Ball yet, I'd recommend that over either of those ho-hum sequels any day of the week.

Last edited by gedata on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
chronos02

zrnzle500 wrote:

Well, if you have watched Z, I'd recommend you watch Dragon Ball too, it's the origin of it all and it's much, much better than Z in terms of story and character development. Z is by far the most epic Dragon Ball of them all though, even the filler episodes tended to be good (such as Goku and Piccolo getting their driver's licence, gods, that episode was simply hilarious), and it had a great story, despite the constant dragging they did on some arcs (Frieza's 50 to 99.95% power increases were... ugh, they built up the tension at least!)
Now, as for GT and Super stand, I'd say GT is far, far superior to Super, in every single aspect (except... length?). Story-wise it's absolutely sublime, since it ties lots of loose ends into a new development and story that actually makes a lot of sense, it also introduces elements only seen in some OVAs and Movies up to that point. They did some dumb stuff too though, such as trying to go back to the origins of Dragon Ball, trying to bring back Goku's comedic elements through his "younger self", as well as stretching out the hunt for the balls once again, but they still managed to somewhat bring back that adventure-like feeling the original had, introducing new memorable characters into the mix (but forgetting them along the road...). GT is Z at its best in animation and story, but lacks Z's epicness and tries too hard by the end (it's as if everything escalates in a weird way, like Buu's "will destroy the whole universe" taken up a notch).

As for Super........ well, from the movies, one would think it was a great continuation, but... it is not. First and foremost, they NEVER foreshadow ANTHING at all, they NEVER explain nothing about new character getting introduced, and if they do (such as that assassin-like character in the tournament), it's a poor excuse of an introduction that doesn't really make the viewer interested. All this keeps going even during the movie arcs, and it SOMEHOW gets better during the Black Goku arc, but really, it doesn't get much better. Oh, they also make use of "new" unexplained things (such as Black Goku's ep 64 scythe dimensional slash thing) that fall into oblivion by the next episode. As for character development... there's like none, all the characters are mature enough in the series by Z's end, though it does seem like some characters turn dumber in Super, such as Gohan, Gotten and Trunks. Piccolo is reduced to a comedic relief only character, Krillin doesn't die... and they use certain things as instant nostalgia factors, to immeditaley discard them.
Now, as for the animation department... it's bad, really, really bad, at least during the first 40 episodes, then there's an increase in quality (probably due fan protests), but ti doesn't reach the levels of any previous instalment. Yes, they do use CG and it doesn't feel all that out of place, but there's no rythm in the fight scenes, it's as if some newcomers were trying to do the series (and oh, surprise, that's what Toei stated, the newcomers of the studio ARE taking care of the series... since it's famous, they can get away with it, or that's how ti looks like from here).

But anyway, I must say, there's a big leap in quality overall when Black Goku's arc begins. It does not reach, as I stated before (and it's my perosnal opinion... in case it wasn't clear), the level of the other Dragon Ball installments, but it's enjoyable.

Now, it might seem I'm not a person that is able to enjoy something unless it's perfect or whatever, but it's the other way around. I even watch those series most people consider "trash", and I enjoy them without a problem. But Super had a big problem, it even made me stop watching some episodes midway, and that's something I have never done before, seriously...

Do watch it, but be aware that from episode 1 to Black Goku's arc beginning, you might struggle to keep going. I recommend watching the two movies first, and then starting the series but skipping through the movie episodes (though there's a small surprise hidden in them, which I enjoyed quite a bit, it clears up a mistery left from Z's Frieza's arc).

My personal quality scale for the Dragon Ball universe is as follows, with my personal score between parentheses: Dragon Ball (10) > Dragon Ball Movies (10) > Dragon Ball Z Movies & OVAs (9.5) > Dragon Ball Z (8.5) > Dragon Ball GT (8) > Dragon Ball Super (5).
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
In fairness to Toei, everyone knew some sort of potara fusion shenanigans were coming the moment Black's design was first revealed with a single potara earring, and it being a Zamasu Black fusion should've been obvious the moment we saw them working together as villains, so they only really spoiled the timing tbh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 40