• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: To Love-Ru -Trouble- Darkness Manga Heads to 'Climax' With Secret Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Choose one = End of series
Choose harem paradise = sequel (Becoming King of the Universe)
Choose none = sequel (There we go again)

To me, the idea of Rito choosing just one is completely out of the question. Simply because too many of these female protagonists as well as supporting characters are much too dependent on him and it would be too sad of a thing to let all their feelings become meaningless in the end. Now things are getting interesting. spoiler[ In the last chapter, it looks as though Nemesis has has turned the entire school into a war zone for Rito. Not only that but by going public with Momo's Harem Plan and playing her game, she is demonstrating to see the true strength of the love these girls have for Rito starting with Haruna protecting him from a jealous crowd of boys. ] Soon all of their feelings will be realized and be known to Rito. Is Rito able to support them all in his harem? If Rito was a god, that would be an entirely different matter. If that were the case, then he could easily have his harem and become King of the Universe. That is what I'm hoping they reveal about him in the manga. When you think about it Rito has always seemed very god-like from his falls to his sleeping techniques plus he has quick speed to dodge people's attacks including one's from Yami.
NapoleonDeCheese

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I hope he picks one, one he truly loves.

Harems are paradise, for a little bit. But they end up with too little love going around, and someone is not going to be happy. Death is definitely going to be a visitor is such a situation.

This is the realistic viewpoint, yes.

However, we are talking about a series where a guy keeps falling over and over in accidentally perverted ways that defy any sense of logics or reason, and where women keep falling for Rito, whose sole truly appealing traits are 'generic niceness' and 'every other guy around is a scumbag, a moron, or both'. To Love Ru has never been concerned about realism.

However, I'm expecting for yet another inconclusive end out of the blue where nothing is truly resolved beyond EVEN MORE TEASING.

Oh, mainstream manga market. What will we ever do with you?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
NapoleonDeCheese wrote:
To Love Ru has never been concerned about realism.

Realism went out the window when aliens started showing up. Razz

Personally, I hope this is the end. Sure, I love the girls and the antics, but it just got too old and repetitive. The only thing that really did made TLR:Darkness unique was that it took Ken Akamatsu's perfect hair coverage to a new level. And I would be surprised if someone took that to an even higher level.

Now if Kentaro is going to continue the series, by all means. But he has to evolve the series beyond Rito getting lucky all the time. Which means, Rito in Space? Or maybe he's upping the ante and making TLR a Seinan manga? Maybe full-blown Hentai?

Only time will tell.
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Maybe full-blown Hentai?

Only time will tell.

TLR: Darkness isn't too far away from going full hentai already, so it would not be too hard for it to go full blown hentai.
NapoleonDeCheese

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
Hentai isn't as lucrative as ecchi/fanservice series, however. From a financial viewpoint, it makes no sense canceling To Love Ru to make it a hentai, and Shueisha would never allow it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Choose one = End of series
Choose harem paradise = sequel (Becoming King of the Universe)
Choose none = sequel (There we go again)

the latter is pretty much the MO that the tenchi franchise have been running for decades so its highly unlikely that it will end like that.

also the first and second choice doesnt necessarily mean a sequel. Tenchi GXP's Seina went with the harem route and there wasnt any sequel. its the same with shuffle. rin ended up choosing asa in the TV series, but then the series had an ova sequel called shuffle memories where he took the harem paradise which was the original ending for its ero visual novel. so while choosing the harem route wont necessarily mean there will be a sequel, it also doesnt mean that the series will end either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Artemis X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
The story about him achieving his harem may come true, but the entire subplot bout RITO becoming king of the Devilukian society is still so so so far off. I don't see how the author could finish Gid's original ambition for Rito in just one more chapter. Especially considering in the entirety of darkness, that whole subplot hasn't had any focus what so ever.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
So far, I think that the manga and anime has a good run and if it should end I'd like for XEBEC to give us not just a third season of Darkness but also a movie since the story is finally getting bigger (so Haruka Tomatsu puts it on the To LOVE-Ru twitter page).

(I copied and pasted those tweets on Google Translator by the way. I don't know Japanese very well).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2