• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"5 Centimeters is a story in which nothing happens... The tale lacks the dramaturgy that an animated work ought to have as entertainment; yet, my desire was to create an animation in which nothing extraordinary occurs. This is because in more cases than not, we ourselves live daily lives that are by no means extraordinary. If that daily life could be portrayed beautifully, however, then perhaps that would allow us to believe that our own day-to-day experiences are treasures worth living for." - Makoto Shinkai

Stories in which nothing happens are not stories. I'm ok with stories where nothing extraordinary occurs but when you completely ignore the basic notion of "beginning, middle, ending" structure in favor of stroking your own ego through "life is beautiful because it is boring" Otaku propaganda... I've seen enough Shinkai projects to reach that conclusion... you really have to wonder how long you can keep the fans lapping this up.

I can't wait to tear into "your name". I've seen Shinkai with and without a plot get the same sort of rating... I've never been a fan on grading works purely on aesthetics- it's animation, movement can and will get ugly at times... and I want to see what he thinks is the difference.

Wait, wait, positive otaku ratings... let me check some spoilers...

Yeah... It's almost like this guy has had one idea with Voices of a Distant Star and he's made a career out of it. I have no idea why I feel the need for the "almost".
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The fact that Crossbone never got animated but we can get 5,000 OYW side-stories will always bug me a bit.

They're actually animating non original series now, but they just are not goin straight to tv. Crossbone could happen. The problem is the merchandise which has always been a huge part of where the franchise gets its profits. Crossbone's is already out there, and while it would surely get a bump from a tv broadcast, that has to be weighed against selling an entire new line of merchandise. Seems like Unicorn finally showed them that they have a large enough adult audience with the disposable income to buy enough expensive discs to make it worth their while. Crossbone keeps winning 'animate this' polls so it doesn't seem too unlikely they could hit that next with the OVA treatment.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what "GWP" stands for in the Hunter x Hunter releases (on rightstuf at least)? I think it refers to the Hunter license freebie, but my brain won't fill in the words. Global Warming Potential? Great Wall of Plastic? Gratuitous Wares Promotion? It's really bugging me. Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Can someone tell me what "GWP" stands for in the Hunter x Hunter releases (on rightstuf at least)? I think it refers to the Hunter license freebie, but my brain won't fill in the words. Global Warming Potential? Great Wall of Plastic? Gratuitous Wares Promotion? It's really bugging me. Smile

Gift With Purchase.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:19 am Reply with quote
Gundam F91 is an interesting skeleton of a feature. It wants to do so much, but has so little time to do it in. Naturally none of the characters or plotlines are fully served by the plot crunch and it ends up feeling unresolved, save for perhaps the Iron Mask one. The result is that it feels like a high speed ride amusement park ride on a rail. It's still entertaining, and even beautiful, but ultimately disappointing. But not a waste of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think UC is completely overrated. It has great series like Zeta and 08th MS but almost everything else ranges from okay to boring to silly (or horrible in the case of Reconguista in G). F91 is one of the more enjoyable ones in this timeline for me.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
I remember going to see the F91 US premier at Otakon a few years back. The only real memorable takeaways were silly looking villains.. the trademark Gundam villain with a Mask and a scene where a shell casing falls on a civilian. I didn't think the move was bad I just thought it was unremarkable..
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Removed my question... Darn it, Ambimunch beat me to the question Razz I'm assuming it's going to be the more recent one, but you never know. Personally, I liked the first English dub more.

Me too <3 The ADV dub is better than the Bandai dub imo

I just got my copy. On the back it states a brand new dub by Bang Zoom! Entertainment. I plan on watching it tonight for clarification on that, but it looks like there's now a whole new 3rd dub for 5 CM per Second... Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Definitely recall F91 being among the weaker UC titles in the Gundam franchise with the background I read up on it when I rented the film via Netflix years ago. Other than Iron Mask sporting a pretty slick-looking mask, there was little else memorable about it for me thanks to the compact plot of the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The fact that Crossbone never got animated but we can get 5,000 OYW side-stories will always bug me a bit.

What is 5,000 OYW side-stories could be? We only have 8th MS Team, MS Igloo, Origin and Thunderbolt out as anime. We didn't get bunch of OYW games or novels out as anime.

Most people want Crossbone as anime because they want see flashy pirate Gundam moving and in color. The manga is awful with '80 artstyle. I would prefer Hathaway Flash out as anime than Crossbone. A follow out anime from initially to out as TV series but ended up as a movie F91 is a no go for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Gift With Purchase.

Forgot to check back. Embarassed Thanks!!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
What is 5,000 OYW side-stories could be? We only have 8th MS Team, MS Igloo, Origin and Thunderbolt out as anime. We didn't get bunch of OYW games or novels out as anime.

Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, 0080, MSV, the list goes on, and on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2