• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, February 20-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

http://www.someanithing.com/table-of-contents

You'll want to scroll down to "Per Volume Sales By Year" It is alphabetical so you just need to know the Japanese title of whatever you are looking for. You can also search "Average Sales By Year" which ranks them according to the average sales per volume.(Note: if you do use this method, please remember it is NOT the total sales, but the average, so the total number of volumes sold is going to be a multiple of that number + the number of volumes)
Also, that's not the total amount sold. That's the amount that Oricon, who estimates these numbers based off of information from partner retailers, has calculated as the estimate of the amount sold nation-wide from those stores. It doesn't include some online retailers, international sales, nor other, smaller, stores that may also influence the actual amount sold.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
good to know the whole export ban ... didn't harshly affect BD sales.

International sales aren't included, so it wouldn't affect it anyway. If anything, I think it would drive the numbers a bit higher as people resort to intermediates, unless those middlemen aren't getting the disks from sources that Oricon counts either.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
International sales aren't included, so it wouldn't affect it anyway. If anything, I think it would drive the numbers a bit higher as people resort to intermediates, unless those middlemen aren't getting the disks from sources that Oricon counts either.

I could be wrong, but I thought as long as the store reports their sales to Oricon, each sale will count regardless of whether it's sold within or outside Japan. I remember when CD Japan first started to count sales towards Oricon rankings they made a big deal about it so I can't really imagine that they split the count between domestic and international sales.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quite a vivid week I'm seeing! Smile Very thrilled that Planetarian almost made it into the Top 10!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
I could be wrong, but I thought as long as the store reports their sales to Oricon, each sale will count regardless of whether it's sold within or outside Japan. I remember when CD Japan first started to count sales towards Oricon rankings they made a big deal about it so I can't really imagine that they split the count between domestic and international sales.

I'm just going by EmperorBrandon's post. At least until someone can confirm that things have changed since the question was asked.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm just going by EmperorBrandon's post. At least until someone can confirm that things have changed since the question was asked.

Oh okay, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Also, that's not the total amount sold. That's the amount that Oricon, who estimates these numbers based off of information from partner retailers, has calculated as the estimate of the amount sold nation-wide from those stores. It doesn't include some online retailers, international sales, nor other, smaller, stores that may also influence the actual amount sold.

Right, of course. Any idea how much is missing from those reports percentage wise? Or does it vary too much to give any sort of educated guess?
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
The drop of YOI may happen during Volume 4's release since Avex implemented the export ban between late Vol 2 and mid Vol 3 release so Vol 3 brd and dvd sale is only half affected. International sales are counted as well which are the online retailers. I can predict vol. 7 will sell high even with the incoming significant drop.
Im really glad to see Touken Ranbu selling high, it makes me wonder how much Ufotable will earn from it. I can't wait.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
International sales are counted as well which are the online retailers.

Ok, do you have a recent source for that? Because the last I know of from Oricon was that they aren't (in 2014, see post above).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
The drop of YOI may happen during Volume 4's release since Avex implemented the export ban between late Vol 2 and mid Vol 3 release so Vol 3 brd and dvd sale is only half affected. International sales are counted as well which are the online retailers. I can predict vol. 7 will sell high even with the incoming significant drop.
Im really glad to see Touken Ranbu selling high, it makes me wonder how much Ufotable will earn from it. I can't wait.

There is no such thing as vol. 7, Yuri on Ice will only have 6 volumes. And I'm fairly certain the Avex ban won't be the cause of any significant dip in Oricon's numbers. If there were, we'd see them since this volume, given that the ban was put in effect over a week before the DVDs/BDs shipped. Besides, many people were already buying the home release through proxy services to get some specific bonuses that weren't featured in the Amazon, CDJ or Amiami options, and most of the sales for any given volume are usually coming from preorders. I also don't know about Amazon or Amiami or other retailers, but at least CD Japan promise to ship the orders that had already been placed before the ban took effect, so people who had preordered their whole sets before that date will still be getting them.

TL;DR The Avex ban is extremely unlikely to affect the sales the way you're predicting it will, even if Oricon were to report on international sales, which we don't know if they do.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Ok, do you have a recent source for that? Because the last I know of from Oricon was that they aren't (in 2014, see post above).

Oh I actually got that idea from this Website: Question 9 of int'l sales. according to the source the answer is actually Yes and No... As of June 24, 2014 . Online orders only count for the ORICON Weekly Chart with the assumption that the online store you ordered from is associated with ORICON Inc. Sorry if I did not outsourced it earlier. I also checked the link you recommended ty and it's right.

CrowLia wrote:

There is no such thing as vol. 7, Yuri on Ice will only have 6 volumes. And I'm fairly certain the Avex ban won't be the cause of any significant dip in Oricon's numbers...

TL;DR The Avex ban is extremely unlikely to affect the sales the way you're predicting it will, even if Oricon were to report on international sales, which we don't know if they do.

I apologize^^ what I meant to say is supposedly vol. 4(of ep. 7) not vol. 7 haha ty for correcting me. I also got the idea from the outsource above, The answer according to it is yes and no depending on what kind of retail online store it is, but as of June 24, 2014. I thought that Oricon is like Gaon Chart where they count everything including online streams but I was wrong. It seems understandable, according to the other 2014 source that Oricon does not include int'l sales because of the very insignificant number it shows unlike the Gaon Chart where int sales exceeds 100k per vol that they bother to record everything.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wouldn't say the international sales are insignificant, when you include China and Korea and SE Asia in that. Smile NA/SA/Europe, yeah probably comparatively insignificant.

From the article you linked: "The only way international fans can help with Oricons’ numbers is to ask a Japanese friend to buy the item and then ship it," which is what I was thinking when I said proxy sales might actually cause a slight bump in the totals going forward (again, depending on where the proxies are buying from).
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Fujoshi are nowadays even scarier than idol otaku, it boils down to that (not saying anything about the quality of the series themselves, good or bad).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I know, right? Women spending money on stuff they like is terrifying! Surely a sign of the End Times. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2