• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Ghost in the Shell Film Will Lose At Least US$60 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Whitewashed movies simply don't make money: before GitS, The Great Wall, Pan, Aloha, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, and The Last Airbender all lost tons of money after facing similar controversies. It's a pretty consistent pattern, so if Hollywood is smart they'll pay attention.

Here's an honest question: What are some non-whitewashed movies that did make a significant profit?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:18 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Whitewashed movies simply don't make money: before GitS, The Great Wall, Pan, Aloha, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, and The Last Airbender all lost tons of money after facing similar controversies. It's a pretty consistent pattern, so if Hollywood is smart they'll pay attention.

Here's an honest question: What are some non-whitewashed movies that did make a significant profit?

Just movies released in 2016:

Rogue One's core cast was made up of racially diverse characters that included a Mexican actor with a thick accent, two Chinese actors and a guy of Pakistani descent (and had a female lead, but we're not discussing gender segregation here)
Moonlight had an all-black cast and a 1 million dollar budget and was a box office success
Get Out starred a black man and it made over 150 million dollars
Hidden Figures had an all-black female cast and made over 200 million worldwide.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Just movies released in 2016:

Rogue One's core cast was made up of racially diverse characters that included a Mexican actor with a thick accent, two Chinese actors and a guy of Pakistani descent (and had a female lead, but we're not discussing gender segregation here)
Moonlight had an all-black cast and a 1 million dollar budget and was a box office success
Get Out starred a black man and it made over 150 million dollars
Hidden Figures had an all-black female cast and made over 200 million worldwide.

Rogue One is part of Star freaking Wars franchise. They could've just picked me or you for the main characters and people would've still flocked to see the film.

And while we're still talking about racially diverse cast, Life (an Alien knockoff that somehow managed to entertain me more than GitS) has a black Brit, a Japanese, and a Belarusian with thick accent (alongside Rebecca Ferguson, Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal). Its budget is "only" 58 millions, one of the lowest in super-competitive March. Two weeks after its premiere... still hasn't recouped its production cost.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote
Being part of a multi-million franchise isn't necessarily a guarantee of something selling though. Look at the DCEU. Sure they aren't flopping, but they're not really meeting the expectations for summer blockbusters. Not even putting the two most popular superheroes of all time in the same movie helped them break 1 billion. The Divergent movie series was initially very successful and based on a hugely popular YA novel trilogy, but the third film didn't make its money back so the final part was downgraded to a TV film.

Incidentally, both Rogue One and Force Awakens were also part of racial (and gender) controversy, but on the other side of the spectrum: people calling to boycott the films for having racially diverse protagonists or female lead characters. Didn't affect their earnings in the slightest.

I mean I just love all the grasping at straws you people will do to sustain this narrative that racially diverse movies don't sell and you need white star power to make money and all the examples of whitewashed movies that failed don't count and all the examples of racially diverse movies that succeeded also don't count
Fhoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of people upset thinking that this might hurt future anime adaptations, but why do we even want to see Hollywood adaptations in the first place?
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
The reasons why GitS failed wasn't because niche or controversy, it's because it was poorly marketed and come out the wrong time and the fact it just wasn't good it didn't sit well with critics and the audience WoM simply wasn't there.

Fhoo wrote:
I've seen a lot of people upset thinking that this might hurt future anime adaptations, but why do we even want to see Hollywood adaptations in the first place?

Edge of tomorrow shows what one can do if they put effort in adapting from Japanese source material.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
I take it that little blip of hope for the live-action Akira will slowly fade away again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
I jumped over my shadow and pirated a nice looking copy of the film, as i refuse to support it monetarily.
My Imdb review follows and i now hope that the films looses every single cent it can. It´s one of the worse sci-fi films (my favorite genre) i saw this decade and one of the worst adaptations of ALL time. Abominations as FF 2015, the 2 Titan films and the life action Death Note show are somehow better than this downright offensive turd. Dragon Ball Evolution just gained a "sister" Evil or Very Mad !

I give my consent to terminate this movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/reviews-339
US sci-fi films temporarily fell off a cliff in the 90s, with only great visuals as the saving grace. Judge Dredd or Demolition Man come to mind, especially as both are as badly cast and acted as GitS. Let's address the universally praised visuals first. The film technically looks nice but none of it will stick with you due to the exceptionally bland setting. Seriously, where is this film set? The best looking bits also ape the source material nearly 1 to 1. Van Sant's Psycho "remake" comes to mind... Well done VFX crew but your hard work was sadly wasted. I am also not sure if the films even has music, a hallmark of GitS, but you occasionally get to hear 10 second bits by a choir with no rhyme or reason. Sigh. On to the cast.

Kitano mostly sits on a chair and looks sleepy, Asbæk completely gets Batou (my favorite anime character) wrong and I will come to Johansson later. Let's stick with Batou and only the 2 generic villains gets something to do too. The writer apparently though that the audience is too dumb to understand the concept of his iconic cybernetic eyes, so the film gives a bewildering origin story for them. That's how dumb and random the script is. It also includes the term "lawless zone"! What this films doesn't have time for is to explain basic GitS terminology, while other elements are over explained to an unreasonable degree. The film also takes scenes and plot points from both anime films, and both TV seasons of SAC, despite the two having vastly different continuities. Act 1 and 2 are thus best described as GitS for the mentally impaired and squeamish, as the PG-13 proves about as unsuited as everyone expected. Many scenes even randomly stop and the film is badly edited too. To a degree that it becomes hard to make out what happens! On to act 3 and the protagonist.

Johansson can act, just not in this film. She is less sleepy than Kitano but one of the strongest female characters in ALL of anime was reduced to a borderline incompetent combatant and most importantly a doe eyed idiot. All of this is "technically" supported by the predictable twist ending but it proves to be the worst bit of the film by FAR. Don't get me wrong. The first 100-ish minutes bored and irritated me but we are talking about a 4/10, not a 1/10. Yes, act 3 is THAT bad. Would you like it if a Batman film ended with the protagonist turning out to be a random teenager from the other side of the world? Something similar basically happens here. Motoko's military career and much more, a unifier for all GitS canons, just get taken away. WTF and the film flat out stops to "excuse" the (somewhat justified) whitewashing allegations by creating a vaguely racist black hole of bad ideas that can only appeal to someone who hates the source material or can't be bothered to think during a CG film. The only thing missing is romance sub-plot. No one in the film is capable of human emotions, so we dogged 2 bullets here.

The films thus ends up being much worse than I ever expected and is best described as the "new" Fan4stic or Dragon Ball Evolution for comic films. Don't watch it if you ever cared about any of the anime versions and watch those instead if you never did! All 3 canons are great. This though ain't cyberpunk, it's cybertrash. The newly announced GitS anime (how convenient...) and hopefully Blade Runner 2 now need to "save" the cyberpunk sub-genre, while the promising Alita: Battle Angel will have to do the same for US / Life Action anime. Good luck Mr. Rodriguez! 3/10

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Being part of a multi-million franchise isn't necessarily a guarantee of something selling though. L

I mean I just love all the grasping at straws you people will do to sustain this narrative that racially diverse movies don't sell and you need white star power to make money and all the examples of whitewashed movies that failed don't count and all the examples of racially diverse movies that succeeded also don't count
No one said racial movise don't sell . But to say that is the reason Ghost in the shell is not doing as well. Is just plain silly. No one grasing at straws .If yu didn't have have Scarley Joheson it propbably would done worse . The Dceu is doing verry well .
Man of Steal 225 million[3]
Box office $668 million
Batman vs Superman
$250 million[2][3]
Box office $873.3 millioin
Suicide Squad
$175 million[2]
Box office $745.6 million[3 The point is just because a movie have deverse cast dosen't mean its going sale . What makes a movie sale is the story , and the acting in genreal. If Ghost in the shell had a better storry . It would done better
IG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
NBlaze53 wrote:
People already blaming the race debate for it's failure. When it really failed cause only an anime fan would see this film. It's competing against Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, Boss Baby and Lego Batman.

All but one of those movies had already been out for weeks before GitS came out, and it's not like there's a huge pre-existing Boss Baby fandom out there. I do think it was a mistake to spend $100 million+ on a lesser-known franchise, but the impact of the whitewashing controversy can't be ignored. Whitewashed movies simply don't make money: before GitS, The Great Wall, Pan, Aloha, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, and The Last Airbender all lost tons of money after facing similar controversies. It's a pretty consistent pattern, so if Hollywood is smart they'll pay attention.

That s not neccessary true
The Great wall was a chinese film it was not white washing at all.Instead they had a white main character to be a lead .People thought it was white washing because the film was in china,. The movie did well in China and got over 300 million
The Last Airbender was far from a bomb .English
Budget $150 million[5][2]
Box office $319.7 million
The last airbender
Aloha just took place in Hawaii . There white people living in Hawaii.. Your missing why the movise fail . The movise fail not because of the cast . Is because they were bad films in general.
ew121

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
Good, this will keep hollywood away from anime or at least make them do good movies instead of just ruining the source material.

I just hope they stay away from it, nothing benefits from having hollywood sucking it dry, just look at Marvel, comics are pathetic nowadays(even though they were never that good in a general sense)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Some context on the question of racially diverse films succeeding. Fast and the Furious will probably rank second only to star wars as the most profitable movie series on history when all is said and done. From the beginning it has been based on racially diverse casting. Anyway, GitS problems go far beyond the whitewashing controversy. The writing was abysmal. That's what earned it 40% on Tomatometer and that rating with critics killed the hype. You can't survive 40% on Tomatometer as an anime sourced movie. They needed positive word of mouth and they failed in that regard.
Lawliet07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Anime is and will remain a niche in the West.

Objectively false when you have he likes of DBZ, Naruto, and Attack on Titan existing.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
Lawliet07 wrote:
Marzan wrote:

Objectively false when you have he likes of DBZ, Naruto, and Attack on Titan existing.

Every rule has its exceptions. Just because there's a handful of titles people generally know, doesn't mean they're expected to know about anime in general. I recently told one of my coworkers that I'd gone to see Ghost in the Shell, and he had a kind of vague idea that it was a movie starring Scarlett Johansson, but he had no idea about anything regarding the actual premise or the fact it was based on an anime.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Lawliet07 wrote:
Marzan wrote:

Mainstream audience that is not anime fan think of this shows as kids cartoons, so anime for a older audience is still consider pretty much Niche
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5