• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dagashi Kashi BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BethanyP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
I tend to almost exclusively watch "slice of life", nebulous a genre though it is, when it comes to anime, but Dagashi ... eh, I watched episode one and dropped it after that. The screwball humour just didn't land and felt like stock screwball humour at that. The thought that nailed it was me thinking I'd rather be watching Non Non Biyori all the way through to the credits
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
There are otaku for all kind of things, anime, manga, idols, trains, planes and there should be dagashi candy otaku.
This anime is for them. But also for people that like episodic slice of life. The "plot" is around the candy and a very small hint of romance. And as is noted the comedy is hit or miss.

Just a note about the Seiyu that acted as Hotaru.

It was good experience for me to listen to the acting of the Ayana Taketasu and remember her roles as Koneko in DxD, Kirino in Oreimo, Aldra in Queens Blade, as Kotori in Date a Live and Suguha in SAO. So different characters and good acting in all.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I loved Dagashi Kashi at first but by the time the show was over I was pretty desperate for a single conversation that didn't eventually come back around to candy. It can still be a funny show but it gets tiring.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru's knowledge and obsession of dagashi made my viewing of the show quite fun! Smile

Edit: Yes! 6100 posts!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
StarchildStorm wrote:
I loved Dagashi Kashi at first but by the time the show was over I was pretty desperate for a single conversation that didn't eventually come back around to candy. It can still be a funny show but it gets tiring.

So basically, this show is like that friend who's into only one thing and will try to find a way to steer any conversation towards that one thing?

Sounds like it could work if you watch an episode or two or three every now and then, the same way you'd hang out with those friends.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
I never could get past the feeling that this show was simply a more constrained version of Non Non Biyori, despite the two shows being absolutely nothing alike in terms of comedic style or character designs. It seems like people really enjoyed it in Japan, though (or at the very least, they really liked the two girls).
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
Honestly i liked this series for the exact reason people dislike it. It never tried to be more than anything than what it was. The "gimmick" though I wouldn't really call it much of a gimmick,was enough for me.

Sometimes i want a laid back show. Not an intricate,or long running serial. And this show does that for me.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Actually this is more popular in doujinshi community. Because you know, that stuffs and stuffs.. and they do that stuffs in doujins.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
The end of episode 4 ([spoiler]when Saya fights the notebook where she is labeled as having small boobs[/spoiler) was probably my favorite part. Because I tend to associate Todd Haberkorn with Natsu, you could picture this as Natsu abandoning Lucy for a girl with a sugar rush.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2