• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Arms

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The thing is, MOST startups fail regardless of where they get their money from, whether it's crowdfunding, traditional investment, bank loans, or out of pocket. It's just now becoming a shock to crowdfunders who invest (and yes, I will use that word because this is essentially what crowdfunding is) because they don't realize just how low the success rate to unproven projects is in general, whereas professional investors and bankers know and are prepared to eat the losses if something they lend money to turns out to not be profitable.

The playing field changes when the consumer becomes the investor. When the only financial ties a customer has is buying a gane, it leads to the market regulating itself by rewarding the successes and culling the failures. The other big difference is corperations are able to invest far more than consumers can which leads to more fleshed out products.

Wyvern wrote:
I think both games use nostalgia as a springboard to create something different. Undertale, for instance, looks and feels like an old SNES RPG, but the Mercy mechanic, the ability to choose which major characters live and die, and the moral choices are all things no game of that era had. The game uses its look to give you certain expectations, then subverts them. Compare that to Yooka-Laylee, which promised nothing but the same gameplay as a 20 year old game, and delivered nothing more.

Of course they would have things technology couldn't do or weren't thought up in games from 30 years ago, but all that does is draw attention away from the extremely low budget the rest of the games suffer from. Whether it's disguising poor graphics behind a retro or nostalgic filter, or simplistic or rudamentary gameplay. And let's be honest, moral systems in games have been a thing for over a decade and still mostly boil down to being a psychopath or being a saint with very few games having legitimate grey areas. Undertale's is literally called Pacifist and Genocode.

I've never pledged to a Kickstarter, but the games I have played in dead genres didn't do much to persuade me. Fallout 2 is still better than Wasteland 2, Baldur's Gate is still befter than Pillars of Eternity, and LucasArts and Sierra's old titles put every adventure game to shame, even ones like Thimbleweed Park which have some of the same people behind them. I'd guess the reason why is back then companies were pushing tech to the limits and putting everything they had into their work, shere as now they're restrictedby limited funds and trying to tone back to keep it in the same vein. The future of Fallout perhaps shouldn't be Elder Scrolls with guns like it is now, but it also shouldn't be the same game that was made in the 90s with no progress after over 20 years.

The best Kickstarter can hope for is something like Yooka Laylee. Inoffensive, but bland, and offering nothing new that the source game didn't provide better. Crowdfunding for games is better used for things like translating and releasing existing products which don't have a market here, like visual novels, in my opinion.

-Stuart Smith
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ranked mode, which exclusively features those wonderful one-on-one fights, doesn't even unlock until you've completed the single-player Grand Prix on a pretty stringent difficulty level.

You know, it seems stringent at first, but after you play for a while, level 4 difficulty is actually pretty easy to win. I think the trick is wrapping your brains around how to fight. I've almost beaten level 7 difficulty, I'm just having a hard time with the final boss Hedlok (where the odds are pretty stacked).

leafy sea dragon wrote:
As for ARMS, after a good launch day run, I started sucking like a black hole at it. It used to be that I was doing well enough to keep getting health penalties in Party Mode, but by Sunday, half of my opponents had pulled off Perfects against me. I take it it's Grand Prix mode, but at the same time, there's something that just isn't clicking with me about it. Everyone can effortlessly dodge everything I do, and everyone else's punches always seem to hit even when I try to dodge. Blocking means they instantly throw a grab that I either don't have time to react to or I somehow miss.

Just some advice from my experience playing the game to anyone else having trouble, because I hit a similar wall the first few days of playing the game:

I think for me, the biggest revelation was that you don't necessarily have to jump/dodge to avoid an enemy's attack. Walking left and right, at a certain distance at least, is enough to avoid a lot of attacks. You just have to walk away from the side that the enemy punch is coming in from. So you always want to be moving.

You also have to jump and dash carefully, because when your jump hits the ground, or your dash finishes, you're more vulnerable. So what I've been doing is to mix up my jumps and dashes. Sometimes jump, and that's it. Or jump and dash. Or jump and dash in the opposite direction. Or just dash.

Single punches seem to be generally safer than throwing both at once, and have the benefit of still canceling enemy throws. It's only when you throw out both arms to punch/throw that your movement gets really limited, and you leave yourself more open. So staggering punches (punch, wait a second, then throw the other punch) seems to work better than going all out, particularly if you're equipping arms that move more slowly.

Also, you can expand the size of your grab if you angle the joycons outward. The grab moves slower, but makes it more likely to land on the opponent. I don't fully understand the mechanics of it, but I'm sure there's a guide somewhere that explains it.

I also think the parry is helpful to use too (when you successfully block a punch, if you immediately dodge, you can throw a faster punch, while also causing the opponent's throwing arm to recover slower, for a practically guaranteed hit -- it also works against certain supers if you time it right). Just don't block for too long, esp. if you're close to the opponent, or you leave yourself open for a grab.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts, I haven't tested all of that to confirm, it's just my off-the-cuff impressions from having played a lot recently and really starting to enjoy the game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Just some advice from my experience playing the game to anyone else having trouble, because I hit a similar wall the first few days of playing the game:

I think for me, the biggest revelation was that you don't necessarily have to jump/dodge to avoid an enemy's attack. Walking left and right, at a certain distance at least, is enough to avoid a lot of attacks. You just have to walk away from the side that the enemy punch is coming in from. So you always want to be moving.

You also have to jump and dash carefully, because when your jump hits the ground, or your dash finishes, you're more vulnerable. So what I've been doing is to mix up my jumps and dashes. Sometimes jump, and that's it. Or jump and dash. Or jump and dash in the opposite direction. Or just dash.

Single punches seem to be generally safer than throwing both at once, and have the benefit of still canceling enemy throws. It's only when you throw out both arms to punch/throw that your movement gets really limited, and you leave yourself more open. So staggering punches (punch, wait a second, then throw the other punch) seems to work better than going all out, particularly if you're equipping arms that move more slowly.

Also, you can expand the size of your grab if you angle the joycons outward. The grab moves slower, but makes it more likely to land on the opponent. I don't fully understand the mechanics of it, but I'm sure there's a guide somewhere that explains it.

I also think the parry is helpful to use too (when you successfully block a punch, if you immediately dodge, you can throw a faster punch, while also causing the opponent's throwing arm to recover slower, for a practically guaranteed hit -- it also works against certain supers if you time it right). Just don't block for too long, esp. if you're close to the opponent, or you leave yourself open for a grab.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts, I haven't tested all of that to confirm, it's just my off-the-cuff impressions from having played a lot recently and really starting to enjoy the game.

Interesting. How would you recommend I start? Should I just avoid jumping and dodging for now and see how I fare? I mean, there's an abundance of Kid Cobras with dual Slapamanders and Slamamanders right now, and they're near impossible to avoid, but think I can make do with everything else. Or should I keep trying in Grand Prix? I went in at Level 4 using Spring Man to see how Grand Prix is like but Max Brass has become a brick wall. (And yes, I'm using the thumbs-up scheme. I have bad wrists though, so I'm doing mostly arm and elbow movements.)

I really liked the Testpunch, enough to pick up the game at launch, but at this point it feels like I wasted sixty bucks. I didn't buy the game to get pummeled.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Interesting. How would you recommend I start? Should I just avoid jumping and dodging for now and see how I fare? I mean, there's an abundance of Kid Cobras with dual Slapamanders and Slamamanders right now, and they're near impossible to avoid, but think I can make do with everything else. Or should I keep trying in Grand Prix? I went in at Level 4 using Spring Man to see how Grand Prix is like but Max Brass has become a brick wall. (And yes, I'm using the thumbs-up scheme. I have bad wrists though, so I'm doing mostly arm and elbow movements.)

I really liked the Testpunch, enough to pick up the game at launch, but at this point it feels like I wasted sixty bucks. I didn't buy the game to get pummeled.

I guess I would recommend playing through Grand Prix since you can have a more consistent experience to improve against, and I think it would be good to try practicing moving left and right, blocking, and parrying, just to get a sense of the defensive game first. And also practicing jumping and dodging in response to the enemy's movements/actions (particularly throws). I guess I think the game is a little bit more reactive, and rewards throwing punches when you sense/bait an opening, than playing all-out aggressively.

I also use the thumbs-up scheme, and I've found that you don't necessarily have to do straight-out punches, I think you can get away with throwing punches like you're beating a drum (like in an arc), which I think is a little less exhausting and doesn't require as much upper-arm movement (which is maybe slower).

I'd take that all with a grain of salt though since it's just my personal experience so far, and I'm sure if there isn't already, there'll definitely be strategy guides on YouTube with advice soon enough. Fighting games are all about hitting walls and making adjustments/learning to get over them, which I think can be a lot of fun, and really satisfying when things start to click. Anyways, good luck!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks--I'll try what you suggested the next time I play ARMS.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
A shame that the Kickstarter of Rap Rabbit resulted in total failure. It seems that failures or poor managements of earlier Kickstarters of other projects have caused people to become much more wary of them.
Shradow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Simple though the concept is, it is still too eerie for my sensitivities. Hollow arms must be simply harrowing. Do those affected by this condition still possess fine motor skills in their hands? Do the inner sides of their coils have nerve receptors? Indeed, what of their bones?

The official artwork shows that their arms, when coiled all the way back, take on the shape and function of normal arms. There is one such illustration of Ribbon Girl signing her autograph on Biff's shirt, for instance, so indeed, they still have fine motor skills.

The official ARMS Twitter also states that when they're not wearing those masks, their arms are functionally just normal arms too, though I don't know if they become biologically normal or are just incapable of extending.

That was apparently a poor translation. From what I understand, what actually happens is that when people wake up with the extendable arms (or in some rare cases, people are born with the ability, such as Kid Cobra), they're uncontrollable. They're to contact the ARMS League and get a mask, which allows them to control their arms (both in their extendable forms and the normal arm forms you already mentioned). But without the masks they're probably in a bad situation.

Conceivably, one could train themselves enough to have control without the masks, it would just take a lot of effort and skill someone just waking up with them wouldn't have. Though the masks were only invented 120 years prior to the point the game takes place in, so obviously people have managed before, since the ARMS ability has been around since ancient times in that world.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Shradow wrote:
That was apparently a poor translation. From what I understand, what actually happens is that when people wake up with the extendable arms (or in some rare cases, people are born with the ability, such as Kid Cobra), they're uncontrollable. They're to contact the ARMS League and get a mask, which allows them to control their arms (both in their extendable forms and the normal arm forms you already mentioned). But without the masks they're probably in a bad situation.

Conceivably, one could train themselves enough to have control without the masks, it would just take a lot of effort and skill someone just waking up with them wouldn't have. Though the masks were only invented 120 years prior to the point the game takes place in, so obviously people have managed before, since the ARMS ability has been around since ancient times in that world.

So does that mean that people like Spring Man and Twintelle wear their masks 24/7?
Shradow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So does that mean that people like Spring Man and Twintelle wear their masks 24/7?

I can only assume so. Even in the art where the characters have their ARMS retracted into normal arms, they're wearing the masks. There's official art for stuff such as Spring Man just chilling in a locker room, Ninjara walking down the street, and Min Min eating out at a ramen shop, which are cases where I think they wouldn't be wearing their masks if they didn't need to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2