• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell Just Happened in Vatican Miracle Examiner?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Vatican Miracle Examiner would've made a better American/British cartoon than an anime.

Just saying. Confused
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Perhaps Vatican Miracle Examiner would've made a better American/British cartoon than an anime.

Just saying. Confused

Unless you count Scooby Doo, there aren't any American mystery cartoons though. Not to mention that the characters would arguably act less Catholic if stuck on Adult Swim/Fox/Comedy Central or not be Catholic at all if it was on children's programming.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Go home anime, you're drunk.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Just saying. Confused

Unless you count Scooby Doo, there aren't any American mystery cartoons though. Not to mention that the characters would arguably act less Catholic if stuck on Adult Swim/Fox/Comedy Central or not be Catholic at all if it was on children's programming.

I was thinking more on the lines of the same animation style and tone as Castlevania. Also for it to air on HBO or Showtime. Or even Netflix.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I hope Pazuzu shows up.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Look I'm still trying to find out what the hell happened with Berserk.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

...don't remind me...please... The banging of pots and pans still ring in my skull...
Lorias

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:
Conveniently, this show with a cast of exclusively Catholic clergy sidesteps any mention of abortion. Don't want to get political, after all.

I take it this person hasn't watched much anime? Even the other anime with lots of "Catholic" themes/symbols never mention abortion: Trinity Blood, Helsing, Blue Exorcist, Chrono Crusade, every single yuri anime set in a "Catholic" school... etc etc.

Yea but none of those series dealt with the topic of artificial insemination and an unwanted pregnancy, stories in which abortion would normally come up. And if we're being honest there's rarely a need for the topic of abortion to come up in yuri anime, that's kind of the whole deal.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Bravo to Nick D and Jacob for their hilarious conversation! Very possibly the funniest thing I've ever read at ANN. True, they were given rich material to work with, but even so... Any chance they could MST3K each remaining episode of the show? I would pay good cash money for that.

Can't wait to read their take on the remaining arcs!
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Lorias wrote:
Yea but none of those series dealt with the topic of artificial insemination and an unwanted pregnancy, stories in which abortion would normally come up. And if we're being honest there's rarely a need for the topic of abortion to come up in yuri anime, that's kind of the whole deal.
Do you need Catholic priests if you have the topics of in vitro fertilization and unwanted pregnancies in a story? Of course not, so why do you NEED priests to comment on abortion? Seems to me like that is the last thing they should have talked about WHEN THEY JUST SAW A PRIEST SHOOT TWO PEOPLE ON THE FACE IN THE SAME DAY (it's a violation of canon law for a man of the cloth to shed blood) and they don't even bat an eye at that.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

...don't remind me...please... The banging of pots and pans still ring in my skull...

I'm waiting for the behind the scenes tell all book to be released about that production, or documentary, something.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Lorias wrote:
Do you need Catholic priests if you have the topics of in vitro fertilization and unwanted pregnancies in a story? Of course not, so why do you NEED priests to comment on abortion? Seems to me like that is the last thing they should have talked about WHEN THEY JUST SAW A PRIEST SHOOT TWO PEOPLE ON THE FACE IN THE SAME DAY (it's a violation of canon law for a man of the cloth to shed blood) and they don't even bat an eye at that.

To be fair, he said that he's part of an organization called Zion's Law. He's not an actual priest and probably Jewish too.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
After hearing that episode four was a glorious trainwreck I was eagerly looking forward to catching up on this series, bowl of popcorn in hand. But I did not appreciate reading two huge spoilers in the blurb on the main page. That's extremely inconsiderate and unprofessional. The episode is less than a week old, FCOL.

I'll still watch the episode, but knowing part of the craziness ahead of time means it won't have the same impact.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
This space has contained sarcastic observations about the dangers of reading an article about a show before watching all the episodes under discussion. Then I read dtm42's post more carefully and realized he wasn't talking about the article itself, but rather the blurb for it on the main page, so... never mind.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how anime interprets (or misinterprets) world history and culture. Vatican Scooby Doo sounds like an amusing train wreck, but I will stay way from it because don't need more stupid in my life.

Just remember that this is how American media interprets other regions and non-Christian religions (even Judaism, which there are definitely people in both the movie and television industry with knowledge on) all the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3