• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: THR: Lionsgate's Live-Action Naruto Movie Hires Red's Jon & Erich Hoeber for Rewrite

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
There are a lot of really great American genre novels in the young adult market that have yet to be adapted. There are even comics, not just superhero comics, but indie comics, webcomics, graphic novels...I really don't get why they would choose a Japanese manga over domestic IP.

"It's what all the kids are into these days." Misguided Marketing?

Geez, you'd think Lionsgate would be making a live action Yu-Gi-Oh! movie instead.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
There are a lot of really great American genre novels in the young adult market that have yet to be adapted. There are even comics, not just superhero comics, but indie comics, webcomics, graphic novels...I really don't get why they would choose a Japanese manga over domestic IP.

Because even movies based off of American IP's aren't guaranteed successes just look at the Fantastic Four Reboot. And logically there isn't any rule that states that Hollywood can't make moves that aren't specifically based on American works.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
No IP is a sure thing. But I would think it would be easier to deal with an American publisher, like Simon & Shuster, Del Rey, Tor Books, etc when producing an adaptation. It's easier getting input from an author when there's no language barrier, too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
They wanted to get Naruto before anyone else did. That's all there is to it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, yet another whitewashed live action anime film.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
No IP is a sure thing. But I would think it would be easier to deal with an American publisher, like Simon & Shuster, Del Rey, Tor Books, etc when producing an adaptation. It's easier getting input from an author when there's no language barrier, too.

Well sure as long as the author isn't like Alan Moore Razz
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Sorry Lionsgate, but Naruto hasn't been popular since 2011. Dragon Ball Z and One Piece have since stolen its thunder. I swear, there's nothing but desperation for a hit since The Hunger Games ended two years ago.

I disagree. Despite the main manga and "Shippuden" subbed having ended, we still also have the dubbed "Shippuden" on Amazon Prime for people to enjoy. If the dub wasn't doing well, they would've stopped releasing the home video sets. Similarly, look how the "Dragonball" franchise has maintained a strong popularity over the years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2